and people worry about minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aBreeze

Reaction score
I dont know about your minis... but mine is an ARSE!!! We introducing a new Arab gelding into the herd... Everyone else just was like"hey..." but not this little fart... take a look... BTW Buck is a 4yr 34" gelding and the New Guy is Diego a 19yr old 14.2hh Arab gelding...

http://www.zippyvideos.com/9655273872989646/mybrat/*abreeze

and

http://www.zippyvideos.com/361617935298806...kdiego/*abreeze

Buck has since been KICKED OUT... also, we didnt just throw Di in there. The herd and him have been getting to know each other over the fence. Bucks just an arse...

He CAN be sweet though...

http://www.zippyvideos.com/4338681682989876/sweety/*abreeze

Hes doing all this... when theres 2 1300lb Quarter Horses watching... but Doll did have to show him she's bigger and better...

http://www.zippyvideos.com/448742604298907...bygirl/*abreeze

and of course theres Harry... he couldnt care less

http://www.zippyvideos.com/7952243242989236/cuties/*abreeze

http://www.zippyvideos.com/3827921542987886/biter/*abreeze

My belief is that minis should not be housed in the the same lot as big horses.

Minis belong with minis and big horses belong with big horses. I;m sure many of you on here share that thought.

I cant see the videos from here, but I would still never EVER put a mini in with a full sized horse. They are just the right height to get a fatal kick to the head by a big horse who is romping with his 'little buddies'. My friends stallion had his jaw broken and that was through a fence- they almost lost him over that one.

Most horses do not tolerate the Minis, or even smallish ponies and I certainly would never risk the health of mine by putting them out with something that outweighs them 5 to 1. It only takes one accident.

Just my opinion

My connection is too slow for video but if you read her post it says:

The herd and him have been getting to know each other over the fence.

Your little "arse" is a good example of why it "can" be dangerous to house Minis & full sized horses together. Many minis have no fear of big horses & act just like they are they are the same size...if not bigger!
rolleyes.gif
(just like tiny dogs will often attack large dogs....they just have no idea of their size!)

So...when a mini like this one tries to take on a large horse.........well, in most cases, you know who's going to get the short end of the stick. Even if they are with a usually docile horse...they will keep picking & picking until the horse finally retaliates, & as others have said, it CAN be fatal.
sad.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Lewella, even getting to know each other over the fence, I would NEVER turn Minis out with full sized horses. It is dangerous. My Arabian has met the Minis over the fence but she will NEVER be turned out with them.

Wonders how bad you all would shudder to know our minis live with 3 7' tall camels.
rolleyes.gif

Nope, sorry, perfect example of why this should NOT be done. He corners the big yearling, gets kicked, he's dead.

Well...it's your horse.

You want to take the chance of coming home and finding him dead I guess it's up to you.

Bucks been in with the herd for just about his whole life, and they treat him like the precious little baby that must be handled carefully. I dont know if their afraid that he'll blow up or break... He can bite them, kick them, climb on them... and they just pretend hes not there. I realise that they are tiny horses whom are breakable, but our situation doesnt allow for a whole lot of seperation. Its also worked for 4 years so far. Were building a new barn, and next year there will be a paddock built for the minis... were doing it mainly to limit their hay intake, but this will also make the little guys safer.

Sorry, heard it all before. As I always say- It's fine right up to the point where it is not fine. Then the horse is dead!!!

Bria--

You can't bring up a controversial and potentially volatile subject and then to have everyone gleefully agree with you.

Even your topic's title is "challenging" to those who have different opinions.

How old are you if I may ask?

Right now i have my 6 month old paint filly in with my mini's and small ponies. Now im not worried about lexus (paint filly) being in with my mini's. When she is a yearling though, im going to make the call weather to separate them or let them run together. She runs with them and i have yet to see her even try to kick or jump on one of them. She stands out in the corner with Coco and eats. I will handle what to do with her when she gets to that age.

But if i even have a slight fear that she will hurt them ....she's not going out with them anymore. I think its slightly different though since she has grown up with them.

I would never let any of Dad's QH in with them, mostly because they cannot be outgether with out trying to kill one another so no way will they be in with my mini's.

I think it just depends on the horse.

Bria--
You can't bring up a controversial and potentially volatile subject and then to have everyone gleefully agree with you.

Even your topic's title is "challenging" to those who have different opinions.

How old are you if I may ask
I agree.

Bria, take it from someone who has been there ...done that. I have quit possibly been one of the hardest people to deal with at once time on this board. Prepair for this thread to be a war-zone.

Leeana

While I understand and respect that everyone has different housing situations for their horses, I will never forget when I had my horse at Somis hospital and the staff told me that on occassion they do get miniature horses admitted to their hospital.

And almost always it is for head trauma because they were housed with large horses, with the outcome not favorable.

Just something to think about.

Liz R.

LoveCoco said:
Right now i have my 6 month old paint filly in with my mini's and small ponies.  Now im not worried about lexus (paint filly) being in with my mini's.  When she is a yearling though, im going to make the call weather to separate them or let them run together.  She runs with them and i have yet to see her even try to kick or jump on one of them.  She stands out in the corner with Coco and eats.  I will handle what to do with her when she gets to that age.
I think it just depends on the horse.

534256[/snapback]

It definitely depends on the horse, but I'd still keep a careful eye on the full-size filly in with the minis.

I don't remember now when it happened for certain (the incident was about 8-9 years ago). When I was in CO, my AQHA mare foaled, I switched boarding facilities and had to house my 3 horses together (half-arab gelding about 10 at the time, AQHA mare 8 at the time and the filly). I think the filly was around a year of age when the incident occurred (the three had been together since the filly was a month old with no problems - gelding had been with the mare for 5 years previous). I went out to check on the horses one day and the gelding would hardly walk, acted like he was having problems peeing. I thought perhaps he was tying up or something equally bad. I called the vet, who did a through exam. We discovered that the filly in one of her bursts of exhuberance, kicked the gelding square in the muscle that runs down his rear (the big one that is roughly parallel to the tail). The vet touched him on the one side he was fine, the other and he about hit the roof. It took a few days of anti-inflammatories before he was feeling himself again. So, even full-size can be hurt by exhuberant youngsters.

I've never seen any bad accidents happen with mini's, i've always heard of things happening though.

But like i said with Lexus, when she is a yearling she will probaly not be out with the others because im not always home to watch them every second.

..better safe then sorry.

Leeana

ohmy.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
new_argue.gif
crybaby.gif
deadhorse2.gif
frusty.gif
frusty.gif
thumbdown.gif
please.gif
PLEASE DONT PUT YOUR MINI IN WITH YOUR BIG HORSES, BECAUSE THEN WELL HEAR A POST FROM YOU TELLING US HOW YOUVE JUST LOST YOUR MINI, AND WHAT A HARD LESSON IT WAS,PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN THE CURE,
no.gif

Even if the larger horses/ponies are brought up with the minis, once there is a huge size difference, they should be parted.

You just never know...

I read not too long ago, about a thoroughbred mare killing her own foal. She was running with the foal, bucked, and kicked the foal in the head, killing it instantly. What a shame...but it goes to show that it doesn't have to be a fight, to kill a much smaller animal.

I know personally of three seperate miniatures killed near me by being put in with a full size horse. One poor little mini was in with a full size and spent the whole day with a leg broken in 3 places until the owner came home then another couple hours until the vet could get there and put him down.

Why why why do people do that? But as we know its not the owners that suffer its ONCE AGAIN THE ANIMAL. GRR.........

Okay climbing down off the box now.

But I am sorry it really ticks me off when someone says oh but my case is an exception horse would never hurt little sweetie they love each other and then pow and another pays the price...........

Okay okay I'm going now.......
wacko.gif

Back