An idea to avoid hurt feelings....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FairytailGlennMinis

Reaction score
There have been SO many cases of people getting their feelings hurt (or just plain ticked off) when they post asking a question and get answers that stray a bit from the exact question or if people elaborate too much. I was thinking that maybe to avoid this in the future, people that ONLY want a yes or no answer or very specific answers with only a few choices can use the poll feature of this forum. (

For example:

Would you show this horse in...? ("Please do not elaborate"....or "No further comments, please")

a)halter

b)performance

c)local shows only

d)rated shows

e)none of the above)

or

Would you breed this horse?

a) yes

b) no

People that don't want anything other than a negative or affirmative response could instead use this feature and specificly ask for people not to elaborate or not to comment further. It might be a good option to avoid some of the fights.

Does this make sense?

-Amy

It could help, but I have learned just too ignore those kind of comments from people who just think their way is the only way.

I always believe there are more Chiefs and not enough Indians. :new_shocked:

Need to stick to the question being asked.

I believe to many people want to cut down the person who are just trying to help with their own experiences.

It is a sneaky way of getting someone back, who they do not like for what ever reasons.

Just my opinion on watching the remarks and replies.

We can not change those kind of people
default_wacko.png
: They have to change themselves.

But great Ideal :aktion033:

Last edited by a moderator:
GREAT idea! You can make it so you cannot comment to the question too.

Sounds like a good idea. Some times I read stuff and get so confused I don't know what the answer was. I think it might help there too.

Frankly I just dont see why it is so hard to not go further then a question asks..

not voicing our every opinion on every subject to every person we see on a daily basis is not a difficult thing it is part of life

I dont walk down the street and feel if somone says how are you or great weather today isnt it gives me the right to go on about there home life there morals there apperance simply cause they asked a question out in public and cause I have a opinion.

If someone posts a picture of a new horse stallion or mare is it our place to come on and say OMG you are not planning on breeding that are you? Or a new foal? saying WOW sure hope you dont plan on selling that one as breeding or show quality? Just simply cause it is our opinion? and cause they posted a picture on a forum?

Simple manners - yes we all forget sometimes but really a reminder is all most of us need JMO

Last edited:
I suppose that would help, but I'm willing to bet that if someone posts a poll asking:

Should I show this horse? yes/no

or Should I breed this horse? yes/no

If the responses are 80-90% "no" (or, heaven forbid, 100% NO)--the person is going to get mad anyway and come on here with a rant demanding to know why not??

Ok one more thing i was going to get into last night but didnt lol

a bit off topic but..

the majority of this market is the pet market those that show are a small percentage those that show Nationally even smaller.

Yes everyone breeds however WHOSE FAULT is THAT??

I mean go look at our sale pages how many of those horses say breeding quality, broodmare, herd sire material? Or will be a great show colt/filly- how many of those same horses by a general consensus truly could cut it in the breeding shed or the show ring?

Seems as a general statement we as a breed use that as a sales tactic and then get very upset when people who buy them sometimes paying good money then dare to use these "substandard" horses to breed. It is sort of a vicious cycle I dont have the answers(other then what I can do myself and even with that I am learning and growing in this industry) but I do think it is a huge problem

I am assuming that everyone is talking about my post, but I don't think I came off the handle. i found that people were pushing for something that I did not ask. I was asking for a conformational opinion, and got geld geld geld.

I hope some future people don't come on here expecting to learn something, because I don't think they will! To many close minded people who think that grades are peices of crap, when they can be better horses that registered ones! Anyone go to 4H shows recently? there are PLENTy of grade horses showing that win and the registered horses crash and burN!

Maybe some people on this forum will word their posts diffently and then hard feelings will be avoided. Answer only the question asked and don't go further unless asked to go.

I came here just recently and have learned a ton
default_yes.gif
:

Edit: and I agree. If some people wouldn't have spoken up, technically off topic, on a lot of threads i've seen, I wouldn't have learned half as much as I have...

I think polls are a great idea. But remember.......no matter what.........

[SIZE=12pt]You can please SOME people ALL of the time..and you can please ALL people SOME of the time, but you can`t please ALL people ALL of the time. [/SIZE]

FACT........Somebody is always going to wind up with their panties in a twist.

If you are going to post on a Public Forum of any kind........and this one is mild, be prepared to hear things you don't want to hear. It's just human nature.

I think that is a very good idea. I also think that when one person asks for an opinion it is very rude of some people to attack those opinions given. Seems that adults should be able to give an opion without attacking some one elses. Reading the topic carefully and not going off on tangents would really help also.. I think most people are courteous but know there are a few who just seem to enjoy seeing what they can get away with. There are certain things we can be very passionate about but that is no good reason to be obnoxious. And I will try to very hard to practice what I say....know there have been a few lessons I have learned since joining this forum.
default_yes.gif
: Mary

ok Kenna, if recently is 3-September 05 then sure, you may have learned something. HAHAHA biggrin.gif
default_wink.png
: I joined in excitement after getting my first miniature, but didn't do much looking OR posting until later '06, as I'm not really a forum person. Even so, I still think that's recent compared to the amount of time others have been around ;)

Erin, I am sorry you thought the poll post was 'about' you. This is not the first time this has happened. It is just the first time I thought of a possible solution. I am sorry you felt picked on. I have learned a lot on LB over the past 8 years thanks to those who feel free to share their opinions. I have been here through forum moves and changes and am very thankful for being able to have learned from all of the different views and experiences of those here.

-Amy

Erin,

Please excuse me if I am taking the meaning of your post incorrectly, but if Kenna was new to horses just two years ago, she is STILL new. I have been involved with horses all my life and breeding and showing in one form or another for about 30 and I am STILL learning!! The whole idea is that nobody EVER stops learning in their life, so if some already 'know it all', well..... good for them. Their minds are already closed to anything else.

Back on topic, yes the poll could be an option, but I agree with the comment above, that if I asked a question and got 97% 'no'- I would surely wonder WHY? And being the curious person that I am, would have to ask, because I want to CONTINUE to learn.

I think people need to have a bit tougher skin then what has been shown thus far. If posters want to use the poll feature for simple yes/no type answers, they can do so. If posters ask a question and it veers off the original subject, that's just the way it is on a forum. Everyone has an opinion, right, wrong or indifferent. If you don't care for the opinion, ignore it and move on. As long as people are being respectful in their posting and not trying to intentionally hurt someone, they should feel free to voice their opinions on the subject without fear that someone's panties will get in a twist!!

I think people need to have a bit tougher skin then what has been shown thus far. If posters want to use the poll feature for simple yes/no type answers, they can do so. If posters ask a question and it veers off the original subject, that's just the way it is on a forum. Everyone has an opinion, right, wrong or indifferent. If you don't care for the opinion, ignore it and move on. As long as people are being respectful in their posting and not trying to intentionally hurt someone, they should feel free to voice their opinions on the subject without fear that someone's panties will get in a twist!!
:aktion033: 100%

To many close minded people who think that grades are peices of crap, when they can be better horses that registered ones! Anyone go to 4H shows recently? there are PLENTy of grade horses showing that win and the registered horses crash and burN!
-this is very contradictory

the horse's status as registered or grade is irrelevant.

I do not consider the papers when I look at my horses, because ALL my horses are registered. I have a wide variety of quality, not so much now as I have had, and all my horses qualities ranged from "pet quality" as in beautiful temperament yet NOT breeding potential, to "show and breeding quality" which also qualifies them as pets, IMO, just ones with more versatility.

An ideal world, all horses produced would be suitable for every task, but the ones that do not show potential for breeding because of conformational shortcomings (THIS IS MY criteria, far more than papers or colors etc. etc.), temperament, or just plain watered down market, then they end up being more of a pleasure or pet type horse.

There are not any more closed-minded people here than anywhere else. I see by this quote that you yourself have closed your mind the other way, that registered horses are less desirable. You made a blanket statement.

Anyway, papers are nothing to look at when thinking breeding, not til last. Registration DOES add value to a horse for the fact that they can then participate in the benefits offered by their registry (or registries), not the least of which is the enjoyment of shows and keeping track of their status (which also lies with the owner).

Good proportion, correct conformation, and good temperament as well as an overall good, robust health are my factors. My horses just happen to be papered. One mare, the dam of the horse in my avatar, was unregistered, or "Grade" and I paid to have her hardshipped. Her foals have sold for at least 10X what I could have sold them for had I not bothered. Just my observation of 11-12 years of observing the Miniature horse market in my region as well as from a distance around the country, and knowing horses in general for 20+.

If a horse was truly better, I would not look away or flinch at a lack of registered status, or "grade".

I would then look at if he was truly better than the ones that are, and if he had something unique and new to offer (or she).

My two mares to me are equal in their appeal, for different reasons, though one of them has a long papered history, and the other has mostly "unknown" (even though through my research I do know her ancestors). I don't consider myself closed-minded and I know MANY breeders on here that feel the same and think the same.

Noone closed their mind, except the OP, when they heard something that did not suit their ideals. I know it's human nature because it happens to me.

Most reasonable people will not just leave and walk away, they will look around take a second and third look and learn and decide if they will indeed change their way of thinking, or go on thinking the way they did (having validated their reasons, or not!).

This is a great place, whether you choose to just read and not post, or share your observations. I welcome all of them, even if you don't like my horse, I am always interested in hearing why (whether I agree or not).

I post links to my pages because I don't mind anyone looking at my horses. They may not like them, and if they want to tell me, I will decide to listen or not. I will NOT make my choices based on anyone's opinions. I WILL change my thoughts based on people whose opinions I respect, with much consideration on my part.

In short, be mature, grow a set, and choose to listen, learn, share, or not. I am always interested in opinions and others' experiences.

Liz M.

Erin,

Please excuse me if I am taking the meaning of your post incorrectly, but if Kenna was new to horses just two years ago, she is STILL new. I have been involved with horses all my life and breeding and showing in one form or another for about 30 and I am STILL learning!! The whole idea is that nobody EVER stops learning in their life, so if some already 'know it all', well..... good for them. Their minds are already closed to anything else.

Back on topic, yes the poll could be an option, but I agree with the comment above, that if I asked a question and got 97% 'no'- I would surely wonder WHY? And being the curious person that I am, would have to ask, because I want to CONTINUE to learn.
I didn't know that whe I posted now did I?

IN further;

It is not about whether or not I respect or listen to others opinions and advice.I have overlooked them. It is not that I am upset with the opinions, I am defending my horses because most horse owners overlook the fact that becuse they are not show quality, they are just adding to the horse market problem. I am upset because people think that they should push for gelding a stud that THEY think is not worth breeding. Like I have stated time and time again, this stud hasn't been a problem other than the 1 time when we brought the new mare on the place. He has only turned out 3 foals in his life (for a 9 year old that is not bad) All three of his foals were absolutely gorgeous and I want one for myself. We actually weren't going to buy the second mare but but a friend had sold her to us as she was moving. Just because I love my horses and don't want to replace them with registered stock that is still not going to be top quality, I am suppsed to not breed my horses and bring joy into my life. I am not saying that people were forcing to not breed on me, but like I said, I am going to make the best choice for my horses. If someone wants to critisize my horses or my actions, then go ahead. People may think that I am just adding to what people call a problem, but That doesn't bother me.

People have stated that I should toughen up, but I find that I don't need to. I accept the opinions, but don't get me started on saying that because he is not top quality that i should geld him and if I don't, then don't breed him. Even if I did geld him, (which I never would) he owudn't be able to go in with themares either. He would get ganged up on by the two mares, they already do it over the fence and when they were in together before.

I hope that some people on this forum will think about this instance when a newbie comes on for a critic of a horse. Maybe they will be able to get a good experience from here. Go ahead and take all the cheap low shots at me now, because at this point, I don't give a care.

Also, I didn't close my mind when I heard something I didn't like, I accepted it, but made the remark about not gelding him, and people started thinking I was bitter, so I turned bitter in the first long post. Sorry if people took this the wrong way. I am very open minded and have been on every forum I have visited (I am still on 2 that I signed up on a few years ago) and I love to post things on there. I actually posted this on one of the forums, but NEVER had someone reply to it the way that people replyed here. I have never pushed anything about my beliefs or opinions on them,( Id didn't here either) and they don't push them on me!

People your beating a dead horse, AND YES IT CAN BE GRADE OR REGISTERED........................

If people come onto a FORUM where PERSONAL OPINIONS are freely shared, then they shouldn't complain about the results they get.

The world needs to get some GONADAL FORTITUDE, and deal with the others opinions, cause everyone has them.

I am not going to come on and start crying and complaining about the world, cause it isn't going my way.

Geez if I did that, I might as well shoot myself.

Latest posts

Back