AMHR...Western Country Pleasure Driving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karen S

Reaction score
Good Day to All,

I wanted to start another thread so this didn't get lost. Here's the class description for the Western Country Pleasure Driving class that was presented at the 2006 ASPC/AMHR Convention. Our club, the ASPC/AMHR Club of North Texas will be putting this non-rated class in our shows ( Daffodil Dandy & Halloween Spooktacular) this year for those that want to give it a try. This is only a sample of what was given and could be tweaked some by the BOD, so until this is set in stone just use it as a guide until we are given further instruction. (Note: Typed just as written, no changes or additions to the grammer or punctation).

Western Country Pleasure Driving:

1. A Western Country Pleasure driving horse should carry himself in a natural balanced position with a relaxed head and neck. His poll should be level with, or slightly above the level of the withers (?? Approximately 4 to 5 inches or 45 degrees??)

2. Maximum credit should be given to a horse with a relaxed head and neck, that carries his poll level with, or slightly above the withers, moves straight, with low strides and little flection of the knees and hocks, with free movement, manners and a bright expression.

3. The horse shall be severly penalized if he carries his head more than (?5 inches?) above the level of the withers, is behind the vertical, is overflexed, excessive nosed out, the poll is below the withers, exhibits excessive speed or shows lack of control by the exhibitor.

4. This class will be judged 60 percent on the horse's performance, manners and way of going, and suitability for assuring a pleasurable drive, 30 percent on condition, fit and appropriateness of harness and vehicle, and 10 percent on neatness, appropriateness of attire and overall impression. Overchecks and side checks should be slightly loose, not snug. Excessive knee action and speed will be penalized.

5. The Western County Pleasure horse may not cross enter into the Country Pleasure, Pleasure Driving or Park.

A. General Regulations

1. Western Country Pleasure driving is to be shown to a two wheel cart only. Bike tires or wooden wheels are permissible.

2. Harness in the Western Country Pleasure division must be of the light type. Breastcollars or light collars are permissible, but no full hames are allowed. Britching is optional. Side or Over-checks are required. When shown, the horse must have blinders (round or square) and the check must be hooked. No other appliances may be used on a driving horse other than the harness. (Example: No fly nets on the ears, face, or body).

3. Bits in the Western Country Pleasure driving division shall be of the snaffle type. No liverpool bits, curb chains or curb straps are allowed.

4. Martingales and check bits are optional.

B. Class Conditions

1. Horses shall enter the ring clockwise (to the right) at a Country Pleasure Trot. All horses are to be shown both ways of the arena at a Walk, Country Pleasure Trot and Extended Trot. All gaits to be performed in a smooth relaxed, balanced manner. Consistently showing too far off the rail and excessive noisemaking by exhibitors during the class shall be penalized according to severity. Each horse shall be required to back readily and straight and stand quietly.

a. Walk: A free, regular and forward moving four beat gait. The horse should walk freely and calmly, with an even determined gait.

b. Country Pleasure Trot: A balanced, easy moving, relaxed two beat gait demonstrating forward movement with a flat knee and little hock flexion.

c. Extended Trot: A clear increase in gait and length of stride. The horse should move freely on a taut, but light rein, while maintaining a balanced gait and forward movement with low strides and little flexion of the knees and hocks. Excessive knee action and speed to be severely penalized.

2. Maximum credit should be given to a horse with a relaxed head and neck, that carries his poll level with, or slightly above the withers, moves straight, with low strides and little flexion of knees and hocks, with free movement, manners, and a bright expression.

Karen

Thanks Karen ~
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks Karen,

We are looking to adding that to our show this year!

Joyce

Thank you, Karen!!! That gives me a much better idea of what they want! :aktion033:

In general I like the layout of this class although it bothers me that the specification is "poll at the withers" with severe penalties for being higher. I know there has to be something firm in the rules for the judge to point at and to keep people from using that higher artificial headset, but using the poll as the marker seems like an invitation to peanut rolling instead of correct training. I don't have any constructive ideas at this time for resolving this, but it's nagging me.

Headset is a side effect of correct training, not the goal itself. In the ideal world (mine, of course! LOL) the judges would be given educational tools to help them understand a correct training level frame so they can tell the difference between a horse who is poking along at a quickstep with their poll at their withers and one who is a forward moving, on-the-bit, well-bridled horse but has their head wherever their conformation dictates without the aid of a check. Speaking of that, if this is supposed to be a class for completely natural headsets, why is a check still required?
default_wacko.png
:

I do, however, really like the general description of "Maximum credit should be given to a horse with a relaxed head and neck, that... moves straight, with low strides and little flection of the knees and hocks, with free movement, manners and a bright expression." Especially the "free movement" and "bright expression" bit! :aktion033: I think that's great and will encourage exactly what a lot of the country pleasure people would like to see this class become.
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks for posting this Karen, and I hope to see this class at some of my local shows this year.
default_yes.gif
:

Leia

Latest posts

Back