AMHA Driven Obstacle Class

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSharpRanch

Reaction score
Has anyone here driven a multiple hitch in an AMHA driven obstacle class?

I guess I will end up in the history books when I pull this off!! Wahoo!

I did it once, quite a few years ago now. It was a small AMHA show in Chickasha, OK. I used an easy-entry style cart with a 'pole'. Can't remember exactly how it turned out, but it wasn't too bad.

The biggest problem is for the course designer to set up obstacles that can physically be negotiated by a team as the team is wider than the wheel track of the cart. So, if you are expected to put the cart wheel between two boards and go a distance with the wheel between the boards, with a team, one of the horses is probably walking on the boards.

Some obstacles are no different, such us doing a pivot in a hulu-hoop. For something like weaving through cones, etc. , you just have less manuever room as the team is wider than just one horse.

Have FUN ! ! ! ! !

Well glad I'm not the only brave soul out there!

I am planning on using my swan neck circus cart for obstacle. The only obstacle that I have seen that may give us trouble would be the u-turn in the box as the hitch is longer than a normal cart.

I've been working the team on the pivot which in the circus cart is very difficult as the team can swivle completly around. They are getting there and I must say that they try really hard.

And fun is the only reason I show. Oh, wait, I also show to show off!

If a 'circus' cart is what I think it is, I would love to have one. Can you post a photo of how you hitch a team to it? I'm trying to visualize it ...

Yeah, just having a team is an adventure and a crowd pleaser.

Julie

Julie, This cart is a lot of fun to drive, however things can go south faster then the economy with an inexperienced team, and requires you to be alert 100% of the time. I urge lots of caution if the interest is still there.

I cannot seem to get photos to upload. I have to do internet from my phone and the system will not allow it. This is the circus cart that Mr. Horcher won the World's with a few years ago, I just added a horse.

I spent almost a year designing the harness and yoke and am still tweeking things here and there to get it right.

You can see some of what I have been working on on my youtube channel, minicharioteer. There are several videos on there, even a couple with a unicorn hitched to the training circus cart.537.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally figured out how to do the photos!! So there is a pic from the Carousel Show last year with the team all decked out in their finery. They will not be wearing the feathers and the cart will have lamps instead of cages for obstacle. And I will be dressed a little more conservative.

Great photo, and I checked out the video too! That looks like a LOT of fun. Your team works amazingly well together. You should do great!

Thank you! I''ve been working hard with them. It is a mother/son team.

Latest posts

Back