AMHA Dna test question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southern Belle Farm

Reaction score
I have a filly i need to get DNA'd for proof of parents to eventually breed her, and I don't really know the diffrence. On the sample form there's a box you check if you want them Parent Qualified. What does that mean? is it better to do it or not. do you need to do that to prove her parents or to prove her as a parent when she has babies? Sorry it's a dumb question but I don't understand it. Thanks

Parent qualified simply means that the foal has been dna'ed, as have both sire and dam, to prove that he/she is in fact the foal of both parents. Parents can be dna'ed, but that alone does not prove the identity of the foal. Make sense?
default_smile.png

Jan

Jan is right. A horse can be DNA'd but not Parent Qualified. But if both sire and dam are DNA'd and the offspring is DNA'd then the foal has the possibility of being Parent Qualified.

Starting with ALL foals born in 2006 and later, all will automatically be Parent Qualified if they are DNA'd and their sire and dam are also DNA'd. It's my understanding that horses born prior to that can no longer be Parent Qualified by the owner. AMHA has removed the check box on the DNA form for Parent Qualification.

I'm glad to see horses automatically be Parent Qualified if they, their sire and dam are DNA'd!
default_aktion033.gif
Hopefully, breeders will become more accurate in their record keeping!

If that is true Becky, it is about time!

AMHA used to automatically do it, then they added the check box.

We PQ all the foals we have and this that is the way it should be. I do not buy any horse that is not PQ'd. If the seller refuses I move on.

Every seller should be able to satnd behind their horse' pedigree.

If that is true Becky, it is about time!
Joanne,

Rule 184a on page 44 of the current AMHA Rulebook #3 says 'Any horse born after 2005 that is DNA tested shall be Parent Qualified if both parents have been DNA tested'.

I've PQ'd horses off and on over the years, but I plan to DNA and PQ my foals from now on at registration.
default_smile.png
All buyers will know they are getting what their pedigree says they are!

Thank you Becky.

This is how the registries should be. We should be able to stand behind our pedigrees, otherwise they are just a piece of paper.

Latest posts

Back