All this dwarf talk...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iluvwalkers

Reaction score
small_molly.jpg

She is 32 inches, I do not breed, she is just a sweet pet here so I promise not to get my feathers ruffled
default_smile.png

285668965.jpg

edited to add another photo, sorry this one's not so great either...

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a really difficult picture to tell. Too small, background is very dark.

From what I can see, no glaring dwarf characteristics though.

Andrea

Actually I do, but it might be the picture. What I THINK I see (still learning) that would send up flags is her short neck, the 'look' of her head, the shortness of her ears and the positioning of her nostrils. Is her bite off, by any chance?

Again, I'm no pro!

I think with all of this dwarf talk, you could take a champion halter horse in his winter woolies, in a home picture, pulled right out of the pasture, not tell his name just ask if he has any dwarf characteristics and I would be willing to bet someone would say "YES I see dwarf bla bla in him". I know everyone thinks everyone else is barn blind. But, come on! if everyones horses but our own are dwarfs, then I guess what we have is a dwarf breed and everyone needs to deal with it. It really cracks me up that every time someone is brave enough to ask, someone says yes. I have seen bent knees, domed heads as adults, big bellies with short legs, necks about a hands width long, bad bites. These are dwarfs. But come on people, every horse that doesn't have perfect conformation is not a dwarf. Not even a minimal dwarf. Minis don't need necks as long as a geraffe or thats what they would be. In my mind, if you can take a picture of your mini without anything around to define it's size and it looks like it's bigger counterparts and not a pony, then you have a mini. I would not put so much worry into something that just has to be delt with and not worried about at every turn. If your horses are healthy and you don't breed they why worry? If you do breed then just be careful what you breed and if you do get a dwarf then don't breed it, don't sell it as breed stock and try a different cross the next time you breed your mare or don't breed her again and don't sell her as a brood mare. I would also tell the stallion owner if was an outside horse you breed to. Not in an angry way. Just inform them what happened. Most people would want to know that.

Ok, so I downloaded your picture, enlarged and lightened it...

I'm no expert but what I see is a little quarter horse (kind of looks like a typical QH photo shoot pose), that is a bit bum high (which could be the picture angle). Once blown up, you can see she is making a face in the picture (its pretty cute - but could explain why someone might think her nostrils are placed oddly). She looks to have pretty good legs set on nicely. Her neck might be a little short, but that also could be the picture angle.

I like her, she looks nice and healthy. Just look at the shiny coat.

I don't know about dwarf, but in these pictures I see her as very downhill, camped out, back at the knee with an upright shoulder, mutton withers, short neck and long head. I like that she has a definite neck and chest tie-in. Otherwise, she looks like a sweet, beloved pet and I think that's awesome. Please know that my comments are not intended to be hurtful. I believe we can all benefit by talking about our horses openly without the sugar coating, however I will gladly edit my response if you prefer.

Here is the image Lightnened Hope thats ok if nto I will remove it at your request
default_yes.gif
:

Is that a underbite is what I can't tell or if shes playin' with her lips lol
default_wub.png
: Either way shes CUTE
default_wub.png
:

critits.jpg

OK so long as no feathers will be ruffled :bgrin

Her head is too big in proportion to her neck.......take a ruler or pencil and measure from muzzle to top of poll, now take that to her neck, and even other areas of her body. Also her shoulder is very upright, little angle/layback. Her front legs are shorter and hind are taller. Her body is long in relation to her legs.

All of that combined together would make me pause and really think before breeding.

NOW for her good points :bgrin :bgrin she has a sweet expression, looks to be quite sound for her conformation, her legs are actually pretty straight, and she is definately showing the LOVE :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

she is a doll and looks like a great little pet :bgrin

I don't see any dwarf characteristics and her face might appear longer than it is because of the "face" she is making, too cute and ummm she looks very well fed, ROFL.

I don't know about dwarf, but in these pictures I see her as very downhill, camped out, back at the knee with an upright shoulder, mutton withers, short neck and long head. Otherwise, she looks like a sweet, beloved pet and I think that's awesome. Please know that my comments are not intended to be hurtful. I believe we can all benefit by talking about our horses openly without the sugar coating, however I will gladly edit my response if you prefer.

[SIZE=14pt]OMG...I am laughing out loud and my husband is looking at me like I'm nuts...I saw you where posting and I was thinking...she's going to give me a conformation critique...lol...no need to edit, I know she's is what she is :bgrin , my big headed Molly Dolly (we call her that in a loving way
default_wub.png
: ) thank you for all the comments this far, anyone else, lots have looked you must have an opinion?
[/SIZE]

to me it looks like she is standing downhill. That is always an unflattering pose for a horse. I think that if she were standing uphill, she would look altogether different. Either way, she looks healthy and happy and that is--after all--what we want for all of our little ones.

:lol: I knew there must be some reason you were thinking "dwarf," so I just thought I'd offer to label what you were probably seeing. LOL She really is a cute pony.

[SIZE=14pt] Runamuck, I never have checked measurements but will for the heck of it. her head is big, makes me think of a quarter horse head. In her defense I do think she is standing downhill, in person she is not high rumped. Danielle, she's just large boned and fluffy in the second pic....o.k. she's a little chubby...lol...she reminds me of the older style minis though, not sure if I see dwarf but wanted to see what everyone would say seeing that she does have a big head and her neck is not as long as the the more popular minis now adays...o.k...her neck is short...hehehe... [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt] Runamuck, I never have checked measurements but will for the heck of it. her head is big, makes me think of a quarter horse head. In her defense I do think she is standing downhill, in person she is not high rumped. Danielle, she's just large boned and fluffy in the second pic....o.k. she's a little chubby...lol...she reminds me of the older style minis though, not sure if I see dwarf but wanted to see what everyone would say seeing that she does have a big head and her neck is not as long as the the more popular minis now adays...o.k...her neck is short...hehehe... [/SIZE]
She is "plesantly plump" :bgrin and I would rather see that then the opposite :bgrin Don't tell her she is "chubby" or she might get a complex the dear thing
default_wink.png
:

I don't see chubby...I see much loved :bgrin ....as I wolf down a bowl of coffee with dark chocolate chunk ice cream here :eek:

I don't know about dwarf, but in these pictures I see her as very downhill, camped out, back at the knee with an upright shoulder, mutton withers, short neck and long head. I like that she has a definite neck and chest tie-in. Otherwise, she looks like a sweet, beloved pet and I think that's awesome. Please know that my comments are not intended to be hurtful. I believe we can all benefit by talking about our horses openly without the sugar coating, however I will gladly edit my response if you prefer.
What does camped out, back at the knee and mutton withers mean? I would just like to understand the terms. Since we are on here to learn I hope you don't mind explaining them.

Shelia

I don't see chubby...I see much loved :bgrin ....as I wolf down a bowl of coffee with dark chocolate chunk ice cream here :eek:
Runamuck is that what you meant by "showing the love"? LOL...I will have to remember that the next time my pants are feeling a little tight...I'm just showing the love... :bgrin ...

Latest posts

Back