alfalfa or timothy? & why?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JINGO_ACE

Reaction score
What do you use? Alfalfa or Timothy, for small ponies (I'm talking 350 pounds, 10 hands sized ponies - not riding ponies)

I have used Timothy only diets for years with no founder, & good energy & health.

Now, per my Vets request, we are changing to Alfalfa (leaves) only for a digestive reason. This worries me, as ponies tend to founder so easily.

Also, we have NO pasture here, so that is not an option.

What do YOU use for feeding for small ponies & why?

Thanks all for your collective wisdom,
smile.gif
J

What is going on that the vet is recommending alfalfa leaves only? There has to be a reason. If the timothy has been working for you and your horses, there shouldn't be a reason to just change them over to just alfalfa; adding alfalfa would be one thing, but complete switch???

For my minis, I mostly feed grass hay (not timothy, as it's not available here) with a bit of alfalfa mixed in (mostly because it's in the mix, and it's hard to get straight grass hay).

I feed a timothy mix (orchard grass and Brome). I have fed an alfalfa mix in the past and was happy with it but my horses can eat more of the grass hay without weight gain and the alfalfa had to be portioned more carefully. The alfalfa is good for them in that it helps soothe tummys (buffers acid) and I did find less inclination to developing hay bellys on it as well but I can keep the horses bellys under control thro spaced feedings and excersize and they still get to eat for a larger portion of their day. We bought a stallion a few years back that had been free fed alfalfa and altho he didn't founder he was terribly obese and it was a long process to reduce his weight. I know some do but I would never free feed it or make it the only feed the horse was given.

Alfalfa has higher calcium than timothy, thats why vets will switch a horse that is having gut issues. Although I have seen some old alfalfa i.e. stemmy that seems like it would make things worse not sure where you would get leaves only unless you go pellets or soaked cubes I think those are put up at the right stage of growth to be young leave stage.

Alfalfa is great for many things. It's great for digestive upsets, especially if you have a horse prone to ulcers, it helps soothe the stomach. Gives the extra energy, protien, and fat to show/performance horses. Or to help fatten a horse up period.

I personally like grass or alfalfa/grass mix. My minis don't need the extra calories and they are fine.

It would, perhaps, help if you mentioned your area (or put it in your profile.) I'm learning that different parts of the country/world grow different kinds of hay.

Currently we are trying orchard grass with various proportions of alfalfa mixed in. The first bale (of the ton we bought) had enough alfalfa mixed in, that I scrambled at the last minute and obtained some bales of (primarily) timothy. I don't know how timothy looks in other parts of the country, but here it is really stemmy. (...to the point, I'd almost rather feed dried-up, old oat straw.) Our little goobers (all under about 225 lbs. now) don't like it. It is left until last, and sometimes is wasted. I don't care; I read about stomach ulcers, and I figure I'd rather they throw it out the stall door for me to pick up the next day than be hungry over night, with acidic, ulcerating tummies.

I've run into trouble with alfalfa here in western WA state. We were being much too generous, so it's our fault. I've read many people here comment on alfalfa, calcium, stomach-soothing, etc. regarding alfalfa. And our horses love it. But after one laminitis episode, I just don't feel comfortable feeding it in significant quantities.

By the way, I don't give a rats bottom if ours have hay bellies. Trying to tailor their body proportions based on feeding is way out of my league. My aim is just to try to have healthy horses.

I have one girl that doesn't do good on alfalfa. She colics with too much. And that is usually if the bale is over 50/50 grass alfalfa.

Others do great and two need it for the extra calories.

When I buy, I get what ever is clean,dry,green, dust and mold free. Normally I get grass alfalfa mix. And its pretty good stuff. But I really like grass hay. Its soft and the girls don't leave stuff around( thick stems).

We feed second cutting local grass hay (tested and nearly 14% protein and very low starch) 4 times a day and then at bed time we also feed soaked alfalfa cubes and Triple Crown Alfa-Lox. We like the idea of having the high calcium alfalfa being the last thing in their guts before a long overnight "fast". Oh, and they all love it and think it's a treat! If anyone goes off their grain (Safe Choice) and we suspect ulcers, we will substitute the soaked alfalfa cubes. Of course we will treat for them too (Ulcergard and/or Ranitidene).

I am a firm believer in the "if it ain't broke, dont fix it" mentality. What digestive reasons did your vet have? I make my own hay and mostly grow timothy & orchard grass and brome grass. The more cuttings I get off each field the less coarse the grass is (and less weeds I have). Much of the nutritional value and quality of hay depends on how/when it was made just as much as what kind it is does. Alfalfa is high in calcium, which soothes upset tummies and is an added benefit to broodmares and growing foals. Alfalfa is a bit harder to make, as a seeding is only bountiful for a few years then it needs re seeded and it has to be tedded gently or all of the leaves fall off and you are left with stems, which defeats the purpose of feeding it in the first place. This is why it tends to cost more money. Just something to consider when looking at some to purchase. Some horses get hot or hyper from eating straight alfalfa, I have a few who do not do well on it. Some horses get diarrhea from green hay, not just because the switch from first to second upset their belly (feed changes should be made gradually) but because the sugar content may be higher. Personally, I like an alfalfa mix, I understand that in some regions Alfalfa is one of the only good feed hay available and I know that coarser hay can cause bloated bellies because of the fiber content. If you switch to straight alfalfa, keep in mind that the quantities will be less than grass as the quality in nutritional value goes up so be sure to adjust that so none of your ponies get too fat or founder.

Well, if your vet suggested it, I'd certainly go with it. Just so you feel better, I feed/fed pure Alfalfa hay (or pellets or cubes if not available) to all my horses, as I only have dry lots here in Florida) and never had a case of founder in all my years.

Alfalfa is a great tummy soother, and gives an extra protein boost to boot. I also only had 1 case of colic in all my years of feeding alfalfa, so I hope that makes you feel that you're safe following your vet's recommendation. I always found alfalfa safe, and the horses love it.

Latest posts

Back