Aging Broodmares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear this age estimate a lot, but have not honestly heard of a single registered Miniature living to 40.
I haven't known of any mins that old either, but they are relatively "new" here... BUT, I know lots of ponies, possibly old-type shetlands and crosses, which are well into their thirties, and still going strong. I personally knew one shetland type mare who was put to rest at 42. Considering the shetland blood known in many mini pedigrees...hopefully that longevity will take effect.
default_yes.gif
default_wub.png

Even in the large horse world, life expectancy is much longer than before. We are much more informed and generally there is better feed, and care than "back in the day", so I would expect any horse to live longer than past generations. Plus, there seems to be that small-dog versus large dog age "thing" going on. It seems the smaller the breed, the longer the life expectancy.

We can only hope. As for harness trraining that 10 year od mare...sure you can. I have harness trained a mare as old as 11, and plan to train my stallion when his breeding days are over. THAT will be fun!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_biggrin.png

My non social mares will have forever life with me. I dont worry about them as much as they dont like human contact anyway - it is the ones that love attention that I worry about. I think the lease for life is a great idea. I in no means want money for any of my older broodmares. Where do you advertise mares with "special" needs (older, should never be bred - that sort of thing)?

One of my quarter horses is 32 - I still tell AQHA that she is alive every year. Again - she was never a people horse and loves being out in the field. I keep thinking every winter that it will be her last but although she gets a little stiff she is fine.

Thanks for all of the great feedback. I know it is a touchy subject. I have found homes for several stallions that are in their 20's. I dont worry about them as much as the mares - as I always worry about someone breeding the mares when they should not.

Lisa

"I have some pretty stong opinions about how "old" horses should be dealt with so I'll try to keep my yap shut and just limit to the facts. I keep all my old horses. They stay here until their time on earth is up."

StarRidge Acres...I couldn't of said it better myself. All of mine will be living here till there time comes and thenwill be buried on our farm. My grown kids already know how I feel about this, and I know my horses will be taken care of by them. We have our 35 year old arabian, plus a 20 yr old anglo-arab,a 17 yr old arab, and a 6 yr old arab...same with them. I could never think of letting my old pals go, just because they are beyond breedig age!

All of my horses have homes for life here - if they want. What about the mares that want more than just a field - that is who I am concerned about. The ones that love that day to day attention. I want to make sure that I find the right homes if I am going to place a mare somewhere else and that I can control that situation. I never want to wonder where or how one is.

After I left home after college I could not take my quarter horse with. My mom eventually decided to sell her. She was a real people person horse. When we went to this great home a year later (I moved out of state for my job) - the mare was thin and not taken care of - it broke my heart. It took a lot of money to get her in a situation where I knew what was happening.

I dont want that for any of my horses ever again. That is why I want to find good reliable homes that the mares will be taken care of in. The lease sounds great. I want what is best for the horse and if that is with a smaller one on one home then I want that to happen, or if they would be happiest in the field then they stay with me.

Lisa

what about leasing them out to 4H'ers? it would be a great way for kids to learn. they can keep you informed monthly.

I think your best bet is to ask around. I know a lot of older people who have acerage that just want a horse/mini to have in their back yard. They don't want something that needs to be trained, but something that they can just go love on. Its amazing what a mini can do if they have someone they can just go brush and talk to. They also, generally have grandchildren who want to pet/brush/play with a pony. Or families that have a disabled child that just want someone to take care of. May take you a while to find homes like these, but they are out there. Just have to do a little research.
default_smile.png

We go to NC every year on vacation and ride horses and they have a pony that is 36 yrs old still giving kids rides every day in the summer..

I have a friend who said her Dad once had a Big horse live to be 52!! Amazing!! I also have a neighbor whos big horse lived to be 45...

My parents have a AQHA stallion that is 28 this year, my son happened to be born on his birthday which is ironic. Sunny acts like he is 5 and looks like he is 10. They still breed a few mares here and there and ride him once in awhile. He will be with them until he dies, which I dont see coming anytime soon. My mini stallion is 14 this year and I have owned him since he was 3 months old. I wouldnt think of selling either of them they have a home here for life. They are like our kids cant imagine dispossing of them
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back