african geese

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JO~*

Reaction score
Someone has a pair of black african 2 1/2 years old and $10.00 and I have been thinking of getting a pair of some kind of goose.

I like the look of the Sebastopl geese better and I love the name cause I am from real close to there but they are kind of spendy.

Anyway back to the African, anyone have any? Do you like them and if so why or why not. How long do they live. What about eggs? What goose is a good layer? I want to paint on the eggs.

Will racoons be as hard on geese as they can be on chickens.

I know I can look up these things but I prefer to hear it from someone that has geese.

Gotta go pick up the kid from school now but will check in later to see if anyone has some imput.

Thanks.

I have had Black African Geese in past years - I bought 4 young ones - the lady said they were 2 female and 2 male - OK. Well, the four were always together and would patrol the pastures. They would run off the raccoons, and finally the raccoons quit coming. They would also attack any visitors that we may have had that stopped by to look at the horses
default_wacko.png
: I would have to carry a stick to swat them away from the visitors
default_unsure.png
: We never did get any eggs, and later found out that we had 4 males
default_wub.png
:

I had always heard they were a "bit" aggressive. I love the Sabastopals (sp?) too. I almost got some a few years back, they are spendy but try to find someone with some chicks.

Robin

I had always heard they were a "bit" aggressive. I love the Sabastopals (sp?) too. I almost got some a few years back, they are spendy but try to find someone with some chicks.

Robin
Yes that is what I heard also.

I decided not to get the African because we are going to a poultry show next week and they should have some geese for sale there. This was I can find out more about all the breeds.

Next week we are also getting my daughters 4H chickens from MurryMcMurry in the mail.

We will be getting White Rocks, Black Australorps, Buff Cochins, Egyptian Fayoumis, Speckled Sussex, Sliver Laced Wyandotte.

[SIZE=14pt]i just got around to answering this and see you have decided against them. i was going to say that years ago i had several and they were aggressive. i got them as babies but they even would attack me! silly goose
default_rolleyes.gif
: . they always seemed to be having a bad day :bgrin . Nikki
[/SIZE]

I have had several geese in the past. Not the African though. But my favorite was the Sebastapols (SP).

I hatched my own and they liked scratches and would lay by me if I was sitting near them. Some would sit in my lap.

The males are more agressive in all the geese I've had.

The Canada geese though were also mellow and more friendly. None of those ever tried to "come after" me.

I know :eek:fftopic: just thought I'd add my 2 cents worth...............LOL

Latest posts

Back