Advice on 'foaling out' and bedding please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teng

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm more of a reader than a poster but would really like some help with bedding.

My mare is due to foal in 6 weeks time, i use 'paper' bedding normally which is so soft, warm and absorbent but probably not suitable for foaling.

I know i have to use straw for foaling, BUT i really don't like it, so, i've been looking at 'chopped straw' eg. Nedz Bedz and Bliss, do you think i could use this instead of traditional straw ?

default_unsure.png

Paper bedding is a great bedding for all purposes. It's clean, absorbent and unlikely to cause any kind of irritation. My suggestion would be to continue to use it and when your mare appears to be close to foaling, put a layer of grass hay over the top for her to foal on.

We put shavings down under a layer of grass hay. I never use straw. When she foals we just put lots of grassy hay.

Marsha

This is my first time and I am using straw as that was what was suggested over shavings.

I dont have chopped straw just baled normal.

That's what I do, too. I, actually, love straw now; I use it year round ( with some shavings underneath). We grow wheat and bale our own straw so can't NOT use straw lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a layer of shavings under straw - IF I can find clean, soft straw. Straw is just a lot warmer - being hollow. If I cannot find nice straw, I use grass hay - but straw works better IMO.

I shall be using straw on top of paper bedding - don't want the foal to injest any of the paper as some of it - although shredded - is quite small.

just been pointed out to me (on another forum) that the short chop fibres can be quite sharp, so straw it is.

thankyou all for your comments

Latest posts

Back