Advice needed - how the heck do you get your rug on your mini!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby dazzler

Reaction score
Hi. I have a dilemma with Tilly, my 6 mth old filly. She hates getting her rug put on at night. Bob is fine- he just stands there, whilst Tilly runs off. Even if she is held with a lead, she still tries to bolt. Any ideas - Tilly is pretty timid - whilst nothing at all phases Bob. So, who's behavour is normal?

Oh and are horses able to see color - stupid questionmaybe but Tilly's rug is purple with coloured monkeys on it - very cute!!1 But when we put it on her, Bob chased her everywhere - until we took it off. He was kicking his back legs and everything - and when we took the rug off Tilly, he stopped. When it went back on - he carried on again. He appears ok now but we just thought his reaction was quite funny. Regards, Kerrie

Horses can see some colours but that is not Bobby's problem.

He is concerned with the smell and the look of the thing, I would try putting it in him, inside out for a couple of hours and then back on the filly- one query though- should they really still be together at all- is Bobby gelded??
default_smile.png

If so, OK, forgive me for asking such a basic question, I just wanted to be sure.

That said, I would do as I have suggested, get all his scent on her rug and go from there.

Have someone hold the filly or tie her and then walk slowly and quietly towards her shoulder with the blanket in your hands stopping at whatever point she gets uncomfortable and then working towards her again once she relaxes. Once you can get right up to her with the blanket let her sniff it and paw it and check it out thoroughly. Once she relaxes and is satisfied that it is harmless rub it on her shoulder and then all over her moving back to a comfortable point if she tenses until you can rub it all over her without her reacting. You will eventually be able to slip it on her without any fear.

Why are you putting a blanket on your minis at night?

I am assuming you are having cold weather? Are they clipped for show? Are you trying to keep their coats shorter so you can drive them in the colder months?

I am asking because if you have no need to keep their coats short, their normal winter coats are actually better for them than blanketing is. Their coats are weather proof! They can get caught out in the rain and look totally soaked but be perfectly dry on their skin. They can have a couple of inches of snow on their backs that doesn't melt because their coats don't let their body heat though to melt the snow.

Blankets don't work as well and only help where the blanket is. We often make it harder on the horse by trying to pamper them.

Hi. Thanks for the replies. Yes, Bobby is def. gelded - so there is no problem there. In relation to why I am putting a rug on them - yes, it is the middle of winter here - and both Bobbie and Tilly wont go in their stable at night - so I leave them out in their paddock at night. They are protected from other animals and can choose whether they go into their stable or not. I take their rugs off in the morning and I dont put them on if it is going to rain. They both have their full winter coats - but I felt sorry for them - hence the rugs. I am planning to get them clipped when the warmer weather rocks up. So, shouldnt I bother rugging them up at night? darn, I thought I was doing the right thing.... any advice much appreciated. I will try the tips you guys have selected in relation to getting Tilly used to her rug.

Last edited by a moderator:
A young heathy horse will be most comfortable between 60deg and 10deg f . I dont generaly blanket unless theres some good reason. I do blanket our old horses when its wet out and then clears off because the temp will drop off quickly while the horses are till wet. the young ones seem to dry quicker. one way Ive gotten them to accept the blanket is to hang it next to there feeders so that she will rubb on it while eating. within a day or two its an accepted part of the barn. as hot as its been here it didnt occure to me that it could be cold somewere else . DR.

Latest posts

Back