Ace or No?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolfLady

Reaction score
Ok here goes Back in Dec I rescued a donk from slaughter auction. He is a pretty good donk probally lil over year old. His feet looked good then, now not so. He has somewhere bettween a gouge and a chip in his front left hoof
default_sad.png
Now Zorro (the donk) cant stand for anyone! to reach for his feet, lower legs or hoofs He will flat go airborne with you! :new_shocked:

Now here is the ? for all---- Would you Ace now and trim, or Get Ace call farrier? or Wait for couple of weeks working intesitvly with his feet? Any and ALL suggestion will be helpful! please please post

Have you used Ace before? All ace is really going to do is take the edge off the animal. I have rescue donkeys that were horrible to handle.. :new_shocked: .let alone do there hooves. :eek: I do not use ace on mine. Ace works with the central nervous system, with the donkey being sedated its going to impair there learning. Ace will not prevent the donkey from kicking, :no: all it will do is slow his response down. It sounds like he needs to learn trust, and some ground work, which is what I would do.
default_rolleyes.gif
: So I guess my answer would be to work intensively with his feet and legs for the next couple of weeks and then have a very confident and easy going farrier give it a try. GOOD LUCK, its going to take awhile but it will be worth it in the end, and you will have a much happier and calmer donkey :bgrin Corinne

we got in our rescue a young standard donkey we called Trace. at first we could not touch him at all. my one daughter could catch him so at first i would have her catch him, then would start at his withers and scratch. at first i could only scratch right there. if i moved forward or backward he would blitz. so i just started very slowly, moving a little at a time until i could tell, by watching and feeling, that he was about to blow - then i would go back to the beginning. i got a little farther each time... and by the time he was adopted i could kiss and hug him, and could pick up both front feet and get halfway down his back legs before he got tense. his adopters continued working with him and can now pick up all four feet. in the meantime if you are worried about his feet, you can put some of those flat, rough pavers around his water and food dish, and that will help him keep his feet worn down.

good luck with him!

Latest posts

Back