About the poisened pet food

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Karen~

Reaction score
I had a scare when I went to the on line list to see if my cat and dog food was listed. I saw the name and my heart sank. When I clicked on the brand, it showed that it was the canned and the pouch brand. I was surprised to see such a long list of brands. They were all canned and pouched foods. I am so thankful our pets eat the dry! I can't help but wonder, with such a long list, how many precious, loved pets will be effected by this? How sad.

Local news last night interviewed a man who's family lost their 6 yr. old companion dog to a poisened dog food. It was so sad. It shuts their kidneys down and they die. What were the pet food companys thinking? What's the deal with this chemical that made them want to put it in the foods? I haven't heard anything about that, have you?

~Karen

Scared me to death too when I read the list, but thankfully I feed all dry to my dogs and cats. My cat and dog both were sick this week and it scared me to death too. the cat had an abcess and the dog is a wimp. he was fine when we got to the vet. The cat is on antibiotics and pain meds, no food poisoning thank God!!!

Shelley<><

Our dog's food may as well be poisoned. It's the absolute worst food on earth for their GI system, but they refuse to eat anything else, and we haven't seen much of a problem. But my pre-vet friends always scold me. (Ol Roy, in case you were wondering). It seems so strange that all these mass recalls and such are happening all of a sudden. First peanut butter, now dog and cat food.

A PERSON AT MY HUSBANDS WORK LOST ALL THREE OF HER CATS :no: I FEEL SO BAD FOR THEM. I COULDNT IMAGINE LOOSING ONE .......BUT THREE! GLAD EVERYONE HERE IS ON DRY FOOD!

Last time this happened wasn't it dry food that was the problem? Last time dry food, this time canned food--obviously no one of us can assume we are safe because we feed only a specific food.

I don't even remember what the culprit was the last time around; I do remember they identified the toxin that time. This time, so far I don't think they know for sure. It doesn't sound like it is a chemical that was deliberately added to the food, but rather some contaminant in the wheat gluten. My first thought was fusarium head blight, but that's just my best guess at what could naturally infect wheat. The mycotoxins produced by fusarium can produce a variety of symptoms in both animals & humans, but I don't know if kidney failure is one of them.

What I don't understand is why menu foods didn't issue a recall or warning sooner. The contaminated foods were manufactured between Dec. 3 and March 6? Yet the recall wasn't issued until March 16th. There was something about this on the news the other night--it was mentioned on a preview, but unfortunately I wasn't able to be near a TV at the time the news was on, so I don't know what the scoop on that was.

I did hear tonight that there's been a class action suit filed against menu foods here in Canada.

I work part-time at an Animal Hospital and we have had so many calls with worried pet owners.

We actually have a cat in right now that is being treated with kidney failure,we think she will make it. It is so sad and it amazes me at how long the list is.

-Nicole

Latest posts

Back