? About AMHR's "Closed" Registry

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andi

Reaction score
I receive emails from a Miniature horse related Yahoo group that had an interesting topic in it. They where discussing the possibility of AMHR allowing horses that are registered Flabella's to be allowed into the AMHR registry, the same way that AMHA registered horses are allowed into AMHR. Some one replied that if they started allowing only certain registries in that would defeat the whole purpose of "closing" the registry.

That got me to thinking...

A. Why do they still allow horses with Shetland papers to be registered AMHR? What makes a Shetland under 38" any more a Miniature horse than a Hackney or an Arabian under 38"?

B. What was the point of closing the registry? I assumed that it was to help make the miniature horse it's own breed, something more than just a horse under 38". To help and set a look and standard independent of height. By choosing only one other breed of horse to be allowed into the Registry would seem like an attempt to influence the look of the breed.

[SIZE=14pt]James, if a horse is 38 or under it is a miniature horse. It is a height not a pure breed... Believe me if I could have found an arabian 38 inches you bet your boots it would have been reg mini! By the same token if I had a hackney that was in size I would have made it a mini too. Bailey is part Hackney. I have my eye on a couple of Docs modern mares that he hardshipped into mini if he ever sells one I will probably buy it.[/SIZE]

Miniature horses are not a blood breed only a size. They were invented by some good ole boys in Texas and the mid west. They arbitrarily chose the 34 inch size, there was some discussion early on wether it should be 36 and measured at the withers or not and that 34 is what they came up with for the As when the As were producing bigger they added the B registry. Because LOTS of the early minis were also shetlands, Charro, Rowdy, Gold Melody Boy, probably Blue Boy truth be told....they did have throw back ofspring. When they opened the B registry lots of us who had small shetlands, I had some Olney mares and an Arbor Acres mare that were 37 and 38 inches that were registered then with the R registry as well.

The registry closed its books to outside horses too soon I feel, I dont know why they did that..... I wasnt in favor of it.

Lyn

I do agree Lyn, many Miniature horses do have Shetland heritage. Also, that up until recently AMHR registered miniature horses where just a height breed, no common blood required.

But AMHR has now closed the registry; making it so it is not only a height breed. It is a blood breed now. So how do they justify allowing one breed in but not all the others?

Money sure does seem like a possible motive. It is too bad though; closing a registry is a big decision to make just to get some quick money. And then to allow only one other breed in, therefore controlling the whole look of the breed, just doesn't seem worth it
no.gif

andi said:
IThat got me to thinking...A. Why do they still allow horses with Shetland papers to be registered AMHR?  What makes a Shetland under 38" any more a Miniature horse than a Hackney or an Arabian under 38"?

B. What was the point of closing the registry?  I assumed that it was to help make the miniature horse it's own breed, something more than just a horse under 38".  To help and set a look and standard independent of height.  By choosing only one other breed of horse to be allowed into the Registry would seem like an attempt to influence the look of the breed.

494279[/snapback]

Actually another question could be why at all let AMHA Horses in for a reduced rate since that isnt something that is going the other way or ever has???

I guess it goes back to that same argument a mini is a sheltand???

Minis were a great marketing ploy of the same old horse that had been around for years well of course first the term midget ponies but that didnt sound anywhere near as exotic as miniature horses

I would guess and i dont mean this snotty as it may sound in type it is no different then some early horses in the registry being dwarves.. used in a attempt to change the look of the breed? except that in this case I see it as a huge positive (shetlands) to perhaps fix some things that evolved over the years?

Last edited:
The ASPC is the parent registry of the AMHR. When the ASPC formed the AMHR it was agreed that ASPC animals that met height requirements (and AMHR was 34 and under then and plenty of ASPC animals were registered) would always be allowed to register in the AMHR.

Technically, since AMHA horses are allowed into AMHR and AMHA is open to hardship AMHR is not a closed registry. AMHR is just closed to hardship of grade animals over 34 to 38 - not completely closed.

I for one an in favor of the Falabella registry being allowed to cross register into AMHR. Of course, I am also in favor of AMHR being reopened to hardship of grade animals - there should have been a grace period at the very least and there is absolutely no reason to close hardshipping to geldings. I agree with Lyn, hardshipping was closed way too soon!

Lewella said:
The ASPC is the parent registry of the AMHR.  When the ASPC formed the AMHR it was agreed that ASPC animals that met height requirements (and AMHR was 34 and under then and plenty of ASPC animals were registered) would always be allowed to register in the AMHR. 
Technically, since AMHA horses are allowed into AMHR and AMHA is open to hardship AMHR is not a closed registry.  AMHR is just closed to hardship of grade animals over 34 to 38 - not completely closed. 

I for one an in favor of the Falabella registry being allowed to cross register into AMHR.  Of course, I am also in favor of AMHR being reopened to hardship of grade animals - there should have been a grace period at the very least and there is absolutely no reason to close hardshipping to geldings.  I agree with Lyn, hardshipping was closed way too soon!

494317[/snapback]

Good post, Lewella!

MA

Lewella, why are you in favour of the Falabellas being allowed in the AMHR? And for anyone who is not in favour, why not?

I know this is on the agenda at Convention, so I better get some information ahead of time. Mind you, my friend who I'm travelling with is the one who proposed the rule change, so I suppose the six hour drive will be enough time to get a good understanding of it.
wink.gif

You didn't come across as snotty Lisa, just thinking outloud, same as me.
smile.gif

My topic was not at all about whether a Mini is a Shetland.

It was, why is a 37" Shetland any more a Miniature horse than a 37" Hackney or Arabian?

As it turns out, the possibility of the AMHR placing additional requirements on registering was expected when AMHR was formed by the ASPC. Therefore, the ASPC included it in the bi-laws that Shetlands will not have to follow the new requirements.

Sunny said:
Lewella, why are you in favour of the Falabellas being allowed in the AMHR?  And for anyone who is not in favour, why not
I think the Falabella has had a positively impact on the AMHR over the years and still has the ability to have a positive impact.

Good post, Lewella :)

I sure agree with you!

Susan O.

I could take a good old fashioned Shetland, over here, a real Thelwell, hardship it into AMHA and then register it AMHR. Now, what would be the purpose of that, and why is it, in fact, being done??? MONEY. "Genuine American Miniature horse " the ad reads.....and people BELIEVE it!!!!!!! The AMHR is not closed, it just got more "cliquey" that's all.

Hi,

As a Shetland breeder (we also have miniatures) we felt paying the higher hardship fees were a bit out of line for our horses that were already registered.

We wanted the same privilages as the AMHA horses were getting... copy of the AMHA registration papers, pay your $50 transfer fee and obtain your AMHR papers from the Registry. We already have ASPC registration papers (Shetlands have to come from two registered parents to hold registration papers), and for us to hardship our ASPC Sheltands that meet the height requirement into the AMHR for the $50 transfer fee that all of the AMHA horses were getting. Instead we ( the Shetland Breeders) were having to pay a higher hardship fee with our horses that were already registered within the ASPC/AMHR registry.

Yes, sometimes I do come out with Shetlands that measure under the 38" height requirement for the AMHR from my breeding program. I have right now in my barn and show string a very nice Shetland gelding that is ASPC registered. I want to hardship him into the AMHR when he turns three as I feel he will stay way under the 38" maximum height requirement. I just would have liked to have had the same playing field with the fee's that those of you were getting with your AMHA horses. So the BOD voted to close the registry to any grade animal coming in (those coming from unknown parentage), stop the transfer of the AMHA horses for the $50 and we all must now pay the more expensive fees of hardshipping horses that must come from registered parents. AMHA registered horses now must pay the same hardship fee as I have to pay to come over into the AMHR world.

I do agree with a warning a head of time on closing of the Registry for those grade horses that met the height requirement and those that were "cooking" in the oven or already on the ground waiting on their time frame. All breeders should have been given an opportunity to take care of business by a certain time frame. Then close the Registry to those grade animals.

If the Falabellas want to come into our world then they too must pay the same hardship fee's we all have to pay and meet all of the requirements. I don't see any reason why they should get any special treatment or consideration just because of who/what they are. There are a lot of wonderful AMHA registered horses just like there are probably alot of wonderful Falabella registered horses that could contribute to the gene pool.

Karen Shaw

Fiddlestix Miniatures & Shetlands

Burleson Texas

K S - They could have just reduced your fees to match that of AMHA transfers. $$$$$

AJ said:
K S - They could have just reduced your fees to match that of AMHA transfers. $$$$$
494568[/snapback]

I am not sure why they should have reduced fees? nothing is reduced I mean really since everyone else is bringing it up AMHA charges 50 bucks to bring a horse perm one that is already reg. they to could reduce fees but of course they need to make money just like any business.

I understand that it made it easier for everyone to be able to go from A to R for 60 bucks but hey.. was never the other way around I think they were perfectly entitled to raise the prices.

I to agree that perhaps more time could have been made but I can totally see the reason behind taking something everyone took for granted in a "lower" registry and then raising those fees when the value of those horses has come up and they are no longer seen as the lesser ones. That is buisness IMO

Do you all realize there is a proposal going to the membership at this years AMHA annual mtg to allow AMHR horses to hardship in at a reduced rate. They of course have to meet AMHA height requirements etc. This was in the works before AMHR raised the rates on AMHA horses coming in.

The mtg will be in Orlando. All members in good standing will be able to vote and address the board. There is a minimal fee to attend. $10.00 This covers the materials you receive and the office making sure that only members vote. Its alotta fun!

Annual Meeting and Convention - if you have any questions, please email [email protected].

February 23-26, 2006

Travelodge Hotel Main Gate East

5711 W. Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway

Kissimmee, Florida 34746

AMHA Rate: $61.00

Want to bring your RV? Visit www.tropicalpalmsrv.com TODAY for reservations!

Social Events: Friday, February 24, 2006 will be the AMHA Awards Banquet where Top Futurity Sires, 2005 Honor Roll Belt Buckles and the ‘A’ Awards will be presented.

Schedule:

Thursday 8 AM - 5 PM Committee Meetings

7 PM Board of Director's Meeting

Friday 8 AM Committee Meetings

1 PM Annual Meeting General Session

6 PM AMHA Awards Banquet

Saturday 8 AM Continuation of Annual Meeting General Session

Sunday 8 AM Board of Director's Meeting

TBA LOC Judges Seminar

Other activities available: The Annual Meeting site is only 2.5 miles from the Disney Theme Parks and complimentary Disney Transportation is available. After our meetings, plan to spend time enjoying any of more than 95 attractions, sampling a menu that includes many great restaurants, visiting more than 1200 retail shops or your choice of more than 150 golf courses. For more information on the area, please visit www.floridakiss.com.

mistyrose said:
Do you all realize there is a proposal going to the membership at this years AMHA annual mtg to allow AMHR horses to hardship in at a reduced rate. They of course have to meet AMHA height requirements etc. This was in the works before AMHR raised the rates on AMHA horses coming in.

494604[/snapback]

It will be very interesting to see if this passes. I've spent an awful lot of money hardshipping AMHR horses into AMHA, it would be nice to be able to do so for a lot less money in the future.

Hm, Florida in February-- that is tempting! Might have to try to make that one!

On the AMHR closing the registry, I also don't see why they don't still allow hardshipping of geldings if they meet the requirements. Even the Pinto Association still allows hardshipping of geldings if they meet the breed requirements.

I can understand no longer allowing the hardshipping of breedable animals but they are missing out on a huge amount of geldings a large percentage of which would be shown thus increasing the class entries.

JMO

Mary

AJ said:
494568[/snapback]

That's exactly what was asked for - there was a group, many of which have Arenosa Shetlands, that petitioned to have the fees for ASPC to AMHR brought down to what the fees were for AMHA at the time ($50). The rational was that ASPC animals were never supposed to be penalized if they wanted to also register AMHR and met the requirements and that an outside registry should not get preferrential treatment when it doesn't reciprocate. How the board turned a petition to have ASPC to AMHR fees equalized with AMHA to AMHR fees into closing the AMHR to grade hardship and increased fees for AMHA to AMHR I have no idea..............

I think the petition for allowing Falabella's would be at the same fee structure that is presently in place for ASPC to AMHR and AMHA to AMHR.

Back