A sad little story for a cute little filly.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigeresss

Reaction score
To make a long story short friends of mine were blessed with a "surprise" some time ago, they didn't even know the mare was pregnant. She unfortunetly has a deformity and this website explains her situation completely... www.mybrokenangel.com

She's such a sweet filly, who has brought a lot of joy into so many peoples lives so this is why we're fighting so hard to get her this surgery.

If you or anyone you know may be able to help, please contact Leah and her contact info is on the website.

default_wub.png
:

I gave someone a dwarf similar to your friends several years ago and advised them NOT to do surgery or try to "fix" her. They decided that they knew better and the filly, who was getting around okay in the state she was, died on the operating table.

I'm glad they are trying to help Tao, but Tony is right about it being dangerous for her to have surgery. Check out this sight: Little Magic Shoes for a proven alternative.

I also think they should try and make her as comfortable as possible and not do any heroic efforts such as surgery. Sometimes we have to just love these special ones while they're with us and have the strength to do what's right when they start to suffer. I pray they do the right thing for this special little girl.

I want to point something out, even though I am NO expert in these matters, I have read and heard, from several sources, that dwarf afflicted animals and particularly these Miniatures, may indeed have internal deformities or shortcomings that make them poor candidates for intense surgeries where general anesthesia is an issue.

I am not sure if their vets have considered the whole picture in this girl's case, as I didn't see it mentioned on her webpage that she is, indeed, a dwarf, but that's what I see in her overall conformation, sadly.

Specific issues I have heard repetitively is airway and nasal deformities which aren't readily apparent from the outside, but become clear on specific testing and/or postmortem exams. These may make it difficult for her to handle a surgery, I would suspect, though again they would want to consult their veterinarians (and their veterinarians may need to look around for more research themselves as it's fairly breed-specific (dwarfism) before they made a big choice like this.

It is apparent to me that they want to do the best thing for her health and well-being and it looks to me as though she is quite full of both at this point. She may degenerate, but they are fighting an uphill battle from my observation, and they may only be able to do so much.

Cute little girl, it's easy to see her personality and love. I hope this isn't taken the wrong way (my post), just trying to help them see more of the possibilities before they make their choices, so they have all the cards in front of them that they possibly can, since so much is out of our hands anyway.

Best wishes,

Liz M.

Latest posts

Back