A few words of warning about this cold weather

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnie

Reaction score
Saturday, February 03, 2007

Reminder! With the ongoing extreme cold weather we are having here in the midwest, please remember to take extra care with your animals! I've always been told that equine get their warmth from their food, hay, and plenty of water. However, we learned the hard way yesterday, that that isn't totally true! We've never locked our animals up for just the cold. We lost our 6 month old foal, Jack in the Box, yesterday. He was a beautiful show quality foal. He would've been wonderful in the show ring some day, however, he froze to death yesterday. Not the way we wanted to start our weekend! We were devistated! So please, make sure your animals are warm and snug in the sub zero temperatures!! www.donkeyfever.com Iowa

Thanks for that word of warning and so, so sorry for your loss.
default_sad.png
I can't imagine how devastating that would be.

We have always been told the same but we have always offered a warm barn area for our donkeys and horses too. Granted 95% of the time they will stand out in whatever comes, but I have seen them use the warm barn when it is coldest. Donkeys are hardy souls but I like to give the option.

Am also sorry for their loss. When we get cold weather and it can get suprisinly(spell?) cold here. Ella gets her blanket put on. I also do not make her stay in. More often than not, it will be colder inside that out. They need to move around to stay warm.

That is s sad. All my animals are locked in at night, but during the day..the mares can come and go as they please. Also, just wanted to remind everyone about there donkeys ears, they can get frostbitten very easy, so take extra special care with your donkeys. Corinne

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]thank you for your warning, my husband watches the temp. like a hawk and takes care of everyone accordingly. it is scary how cold it has got here lately. it is supposed to be -20 tonight and thats not wind chill :no: . Nikki [/SIZE]

How terrible...I am so sorry
default_sad.png
I thas been so cold here in Washington as well. My greatest fear every morning is going out to the barn and finding Fawn's baby frozen. How do you know for sure that freezing was the cause of death? I am sure you found him frozen...but could there been another cause? Again, I am so sorry.

I can't believe you guys think this is MY donkey, I said right in the title, I saw this on gotdonkeys.com and thought it was worth passing on. It even has the peoples website listed, it isn't MY DONKEY. I would assume maybe this baby was weaned and alone or with a few other babys, I do have two young ones but they are still nursing, mine are in a big cinderblock barn and hopefully, won't freeze to death, I noticed this morning the little jenny had her nose burried in her moms hair. That's how she stood.

I have been wanting to make water proof Donkey Ear covers for a long time. I can do some sketches..if someone that has some talent with a sewing machine could make up some prototypes?

I could send cheap fabric to begin with and then???

Ella...always has fungus problems on her ears in the winter here. The Various meds help but it can rain so much here,,the best way to get rid of the problem is cover her ears.

Keeping her in a stall all the time is not an option. She has always hated staying in stalls. In fact I did make her be in a stall at night when she first came here as a foal. She would move the shavings on the floor...pee on the floor...then lay in it. She would be covered in pee.Could not believe she was doing it on purpose until I caught her in the act. Little begger...finally gave up and she is out all the time with her Pet. (Pet is Dyfra the Icey)

So as long as she is allowed to stay out side she doesn't do it.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Wish I knew where her mother is. I know Kim on this list bought her and then had to sell her. At the time I had just bought the Fjord and did not have the money to buy her. So if anyone finds out...could you let me know?

Oh my Marnie...that went over my head :eek:

Poor little guy though...I just can't help thinking there was something more going on though...with his health.

I keep my stalls VERY fluffy with cedar chips and straw...it gives them good insulation to lay on.

My wee man has a fuzzy coat but I may whip out the winter blanket today as it is dropping to -25 tonight BRR. :new_shocked:

Shari, I have been making nice warm ear covers for quit a few years, and mine are waterproofed too. My donkeys dont mind wearing them at all. :bgrin Will get a picture when I heard back out to the barn later. Corinne

Shari, I have been making nice warm ear covers for quit a few years, and mine are waterproofed too. My donkeys dont mind wearing them at all. :bgrin Will get a picture when I heard back out to the barn later. Corinne
If I can get my son to measure Ella's ears, would you be willing to make a pair in the brightest color possible? She really needs something.

And if you are willing to..let me know the cost. I really need to get that fungus on her ears to go away.

You could PM me here or at [email protected]

Marnie- I am very sorry. Thank you for the warning.

I would like to know about them too.

Latest posts

Back