A Day at the Farm

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Reaction score
Today we participated in an education program that our county started four or five years ago. Since agriculture is taking a back seat in most communities more and more, the Texas Cooperative Agriculture Agency and the Texas Farm Bureau started this program which introduces fourth graders to farming activities. There were ten stations and the 493 students were divided into ten sections. Each attended the sections for fifteen minutes and learned about:

Goats, Wildlife, Swine, Rainfall Simulator, Small Animals, Cotton, Feed/Grain, Tractor, Cattle, Horses

Here are some pictures of our session, horses, obviously:

rebelDSC_6631.jpg

hunterDSC_6637.jpg

dayatfarmgroupDSC_6643.jpg

dayatfarmDSC_6639.jpg

Everyone got to pet Rebel and Pedro, the big horse, and had a good time I think. Rebel did so well for a one week old, especially.

I would encourage you to see about starting a similar program in your area. So many children are absolutely clueless, believing that milk comes from bottles, and on and on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony, that's great that you took the time to give those kids such a memorable experience...you never know how this could influence them.

The one thing I regret about moving from our very urban property in Portland is "The Mingus Club," and the opportunity to share our minis with the latchkey kids in our neighborhood. It's amazing how quickly a young boy can go from wannabe tough guy to hugging a miniature horse, and how easily a little girl can gain a bit of self-confidence!

That's awesome that you have the means to do this for the education of the children! I'd love to have a set up to do something like that, but I don't know if I would ever be able to do something like that. Those children look so happy to have that experience. It is something they will probably remember for the rest of their lives!

~Karen

That's a cool program. It is amazing how many kids, and surprisingly even adults, don't have a clue about agriculture.

Fantastic job Tony! I'm sure those kids will remember that day for many years. That's one precious mare you got there, put up with all that bustle with a one week old foal on her side
default_yes.gif
:

That is awesome Tony......I totally agree, what happened to the good ole days. Sometimes I wish we were still in horse and buggies! I would love to do something like that here, Way to go! :aktion033: :aktion033:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony,

What a neat program - a great idea for kids to get some ideas of what farming activities are like.

When I taught 6th. grade we actually did something similar going on a 2 day bus trip to diferent conservation practices that were practiced on various farms. I think the "hands on" programs are so meaningful for children.

Looks like those little minis were quite a big attraction!!
default_yes.gif
:

Hey...I know exactly what you are talking about! We went last year with my son up here near Gainesville, Texas...we all learned a lot! It was a very fun learning experience..even my four year old had a good time...I still have a wad of natural cotton stuck in the drivers side door pouch to remember the day!

Pam

What a WONDERFUL program!!! Thanks for sharing the pictures, really enjoyed seeing the smiles!
default_smile.png

What a wonderful program for the children and absolutely your right about children being clueless on things as I had once asked a child where meat came from and he thought it was all made in the store. Not a clue that it came from animals.

This program will be so educational for these children.

Joyce

Latest posts

Back