7 month old colt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferin

Reaction score
Our 7 month old colt has been acting nothing like himself this morning. We have seen him lay down and get up about 10 times since we let him out at 7:30 this morning....it's almost 10:30 here now. When he lays down its only for about 2-5 minutes at a time. He doesnt seem to be in pain....he's not rolling, biting at his side, restless....no colicy symptoms that we have noticed. When he's up he'll graze for a little bit and we have seen him at the water bucket once....not sure if he drank or not though. Took his temp and it ranged between 97.4 and 97.8. I know that is awfully low for a horse. Could it possibly be the weather causing his temp to be that low? The past few days it has been nice out....around 70 degrees but right now it is around 45 degrees.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I wouldn't rule out colic, as it doesn't always present with the "classic" symptoms. I guess our definition of restless differs, as a horse that is up and down that often is restless, in my book. I would call a vet.

A temperature that low is NOT good at all. I would get a vet out asap, and in the meantime get him warmed up. Good luck!

Here's the latest update on Stetson.

I went out and took his temp again and it is now 98.4. Listened for gut sounds and I heard quite a bit of gurgling. Gums are normal color and have good return. Walked him around and he passed some manure....it was real wet and runny but his normal amount. He got a huge drink also. Let him go to see what he would do and he acted pretty much like himself.....nibbled on our LikIt, chased the other horses away from the LikIt, and cleaned up little bits of grain on the floor. He hasnt layed down at all since I let him off the lead and right now he is grazing.

We have had 2 other horses.....both mares.....do the same thing. They had the same symptoms and acted the same way as Stetson. After passing manure they acted like normal as well. We're thinking that maybe the lack of green grass is making them gassy and therefore their bellys are hurting. We did get a new load of hay but our one mare had an episode before we started feeding it. Grain is all the same. The only thing that has changed is the grass. There are alot of leaves in our pasture now also....nothing poisoness to horses....but maybe he ate a few too many leaves and it made his stomach hurt.

We're going to keep a very close eye on him and if he starts looking different again we will call our vet.

[SIZE=14pt]Ferrin, even the 98 temp is low....loose stool could also indicate a colic or passing manure around an impaction. Please call the vet just to be sure. Gas buildup is also associated with that. Colic doesnt always present with rolling. Often up and down frequently is also a symptom.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Latest posts

Back