6 mo booster

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
Hi, I just got my reminder notice in the mail from my vet WN + VEWT VAC 6 MO BOOSTER due on my horses. But never having a preggo mare I just want to double check with you all. Holly is about 7 mo due ( pasture bred and not exact due date ) Is it safe for me to vac her as well? Of course I will ask my vet too but wanted to run it by you all.

FYI we are in Florida and she is in no contact with other horses except for the ones here at our place. Im trying to get all my horses on the same rotation for shots to save on farm call charges and it was difficult at the beginning as they were all arriving at different times and I was getting very confused...how do you all keep track...jeeze...I only have 6.

Thanks for your imput

heidi

[SIZE=10pt]We vaccinate each year in April............but--- based on past experience.............our pregnant mares are not vaccinated until after foaling. Even if it means another vet call and out of rotation with the other horses. In years past we have had some bad experiences with WNV, plus heard of others who lost foals and had a very sick mare. I just don't want to take any chances with interferring with a pregnant mare until she safely foals. [/SIZE]

When was her last vaccination? You may want to check with your vet for what is recommended for your area.

Thanks! After your post I did contact my vet and he suggested that we wait too. He also mentioned a couple things that I need to do after foaling and he said we can do them all at once. I certainly dont want a sick mare or foal. Thanks you again

heidi

We didn't vaccinate our mare when she was in foal.

Our horses don't get vaccines[Rabies being the exception as it's law]

I ALWAYS vaccinate my pregger mares approx. 1 month prior to foaling...and have never had any problems. This is so the foals can get the immunity from the mare's colostrum. If you don't vaccinate prior to foaling, you must then vaccinate the foals much earlier. I know several breeders are wary of vaccinating their mares due to reports of mares losing foals afterwards. But, I've never had that experience in 20 years of breeding, and have the utmost confidence in my vets, whom I've had for the whole 20 years. I'm a great believer in "if it's not broke...don't fix it!"
default_biggrin.png

I always prefer to do as Dona does: If they are pregnant, I like to vaccinate a month right before the foal is due. That way, the foal is already protected with the mother's immunities as said above and I've never had a problem doing it that way. Not to worry, we have some good breeding dates on Holly to go by!

Latest posts

Back