4-H Harness Drivng Advice Appreciated

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WLS

Reaction score
I plan to offer my advanced 4-H members the opportunity to learn Harness Driving this year. Their Achievement for their 4-H credit will be to compete in a Youth Driving Class at a local Fair.

Thus far, I have organized a driving clinic with a professional miniature driver. Safety, of course, is always our main concern. I am having our entire back yard fenced in so the kids can safety practice, and I have recruited some seasoned older driving geldings for the members to learn with. And there will be some theory, learning the harness parts and cleaning etc.

I would appreciate any advice on such a project. The members will have to log a number of practice "hands on driving" hours to complete this project. Any thoughts on how many hours would be fair.???

I would love to hear from anyone who has taught Youth Driving, and any tips you could offer. Thanks

Wendy, 4-H Leader, Haldimand County

Dear Wendy:

I am currently researching the same area. My information seems to require a well organized written program starting with proper harnessing which includes actual hands-on instruction and ten hours of SUPERVISED driving starting with two in the cart and gradually going to independent driving in a confined area then open area. Best of luck.

I'm not nearly so organized in my book keeping for my 4Hers, but I am picky about safety.

ALL my kids MUST ground drive first, and be very comfortable with it. They start by ground driving my old gelding, who takes his new job as their teacher very seriously, and then they start with their project horses. They have to be able to walk calmly on the rail, work a figure 8, stand quietly, back a few steps and trot. The last time we had an actual 4H show we had a ground driving class, specifically for all the kids and/or horses who weren't ready to jump in the cart yet.

Ground driving is tough, I think it makes them much more competent drivers in the long run, and since a number of the kids that I've had in my program were/are breaking their own horses to drive, it's something they need to be experienced at.

I can not offer any advise. But, when I was in 4H (a REALLY REALLY LONG time ago) I was one out of 20 4H kids selected to learn to drive the harness race horses. I can not begin to express how much that class did for me. We went to the track 3 days a week for 6 weeks. I was then given a job as a groom. I was then 16years old (we did drive the studs too). I worked on the race track for the next 3 years. Until life took another turn. You have no idea how much teaching the kids to drive can mean to them.
default_smile.png
default_yes.gif
default_smile.png

Hi Wendy Having taught lessons with horses to kids for many years the thing you will have to keep in mind is that not everyone will progress at the same rate. You may have one that is ready to drive on their own fairly quickly and another that will not be by the end of your course no matter how long it is. You should check with the Fair board to see if they will allow someone in the cart with them at the show, as a lot of shows will for youths, so that even if they are not ready to drive on their own they can still "achieve!"

Definitely safety first. Teach them what each harness part does (including breeching!) and why you adjust it the way you do. Any good 4-Her should be able to tell you the purpose and proper adjustment of any piece of equipment they are using. (HorseBowl and Hippology were great for that when I was in the program!) Perhaps for the credit they could also complete a small demonstration/presentation on an aspect of driving? What I mean is I'd like to see them educated about the fact that there is more than one style of driving currently and a lot of neat history. They could learn about the old-style horse-drawn fire trucks, farm/draft horses, the Amish, Russian Troikas, milk wagons, fine harness, trotting races, combined driving, pulling contests, chariots...the possibilities are endless! Heck, you could do an entire demonstration on the different classifications of vehicles like show carts, easy entry/training carts, road carts/Meadowbrooks, gig carts, wagons vs phaetons vs viceroys.....

I agree with Kendra on taking the kids through all the steps from green horse to finished driver with their experienced geldings. Teach them to harness safely, to ground-drive, to put-to safely, and then how to drive safely. Teach them the rules of courtesy like how to pass safely and not running their horses up behind a blinkered horse so they don't cause an accident. Teach them the driver always gets in first and out last, sits on the right, and that you don't take the bridle off until the horse has been unhitched because you don't want them to get loose with the cart still attached. Teach them to use a whip properly as a replacement for their legs. And most of all, teach them how fun this can be!
default_aktion033.gif

Leia

Latest posts

Back