4-H Club visit - trail, jumping, driving, liberty,

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

targetsmom

Reaction score
We know the leader of a 4-H Club from showing at Pinto shows, and we invited her Club over for a visit Saturday. All the members have at least some "big" horse experience but no experience with minis. There were 4 adult leaders, 5 members, and a college student. All our minis are pretty versatile, so we set up a trail class (2 different bridges, backthrough, cones to trot around, waterfall obstacle, umbrella to trot around, bag of tin cans to shake, towel to put over mini's back). After meeting the minis, we had them each pick one to take over the course. All our minis participated, from our show horses to the brood mares - the stallion was used to demonstrate how to do the obstacles and then he was put away. After the trail "class" we demonstrated jumping styles and the difference between hunter and jumper using 3 of the minis, who jump with very different styles. The we showed them different types of carts and hitched Ruby for cart rides. Some of the adults (and the college student) were given a chance to drive themselves. Lastly, we turned Princess loose in the empty horse pasture to demonstrate liberty and she actually performed exactly as desired, including running right up to me when I knelt down to catch her!

THE LESSON IN MARKETING- We discussed how much the minis weigh and how much (how LITTLE) they eat and I could see wheels turning! By the time they left, all the kids and the adults wanted a mini and I could hear them discussing how to get Dad to agree, where they would put one, etc. Of course we don't have anything for sale at this time, but will keep this in mind for the future.

I am not sure who had the most fun, the kids, the minis, the leaders, or us!!!

Photos of the trail class and driving -sorry none of the jumping or liberty as I was busy!

trail_2_med.jpg

4_H_10_08.jpg

trail_3_med.jpg

trail_1-MED.jpg

driving_2_med.jpg

Edited to add: All these minis came from forum members or their stallions (mocha, Cathy_H, SBrown, KTS@SawmillRiver, Lee Crutchfield)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't comment on the pictures (darn dial up), but it sounds like did a GREAT job promoting minis!! And it sounds like you had a great time doing it!

Latest posts

Back