328 Day Maiden Mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSMFarm

Reaction score
default_saludando.gif
Hi it's Missy in SC. I am basically new to the forum and have a foaling question. I have a Maiden mare that I have been up with most of last night. Have a foal halter on her that I monitor. Noticed late yesterday afternoon that she was in the pasture by herself, this was odd for her as she is always with another horse. I pulled her from the field and in the stall she produced a "cowpie". I put a bit of food in her bucket and she ate it completely.This morning I fed a 630 and she ate approx half in 4 hours just picked. Then about an hour ago she acted really uncomfortable, laid down took a nap, and got up and finished the bucket in just seconds like she usually eats. She is really uncomfortable and her poo is getting even more mushy but I don't notice her going like she is "cleaning out" or maybe I just don't know how much that means?. She seems a bit uncomfortable oh and I forgot to say NICE. She has been a completely different horse during gestation...NOT NICE lol. I am just wondering how long other mares have gone with the really really mushy poo before foaling. Basically...Do ya'll think that she is probably getting close? This is my first foal of the season and I wish it was one of my older mares foaling first! She does have a good size bag...but will NOT let anyone near her rear. I don't have a death wish and am not going to try to get milk. I have already been kicked by her when I was so used to her being such a pet and just walked up to her hind end last week. This is my first maiden most of my mares are old pros and they just do their thing. Thanks in advance.

When the "cowpies" start coming, it's *usually* a very short time til a mare foals. I wouldn't take my eyes off of her! Good luck and let us know how it goes!!!

Keep a close eye on her. They will get very restless (usually) will go down to rest, but not really rest, the up again, then an hour later, back down again, etc. They also will have many poops that are (usually) very soft and will pee frequently.

When their bags get hard and start hurting, they really do not like anyone touching them there. I also find that if you continue to try and touch them there, they are more likely to give their foals a hard time to begin with too.

Maiden mares always scare me, as it is not always easy for them. My maiden mare just lost her foal this year. Other years I have had to really pull on the foal to get it out,( feet on the mares butt pushing with my feet while pulling on the legs. Though never pull unless the mare is pushing) One time the foals head was jamed into the pelvic bone and the poor mare had some nerve damage and could not walk right for a few days and for months, she cout not trot. Other times, I have had maiden mares foal out in the pasture when they have shown no signs of being ready to foal. Gotta love the maiden mares.

Chances are your mare will foal sometime tonight, but then, they have not read the book and could go on like this for days and even weeks.

Sorry, not much help, but theya re hard to predict.

Here is hoping your mare goes tonight and everything goes smoothly!

default_saludando.gif
...Thank you so much for your replies. Great info! I think that I am just so nervous about her being maiden. I have always heard so many different things that you both have stated. My "old" mares I am pretty good at predicting but with this one I feel like she is looking to me. I leave the barn and she just screams. It hurts my heart to not be able to help her. Hubby says ... she thinks that she is dying...Heaven Forbid...and she really does. She just has such a puzzled look on her face. I am not really concerned yet...she is uncomfortable but not in pain. I just hope she does well when the actual pain does arrive. She has been laying down resting pretty comfortably for the past hour. Prayers for a safe foaling will be appreciated! I am not sure who is more nervous...Me/My Mare??? This is the first mare that I have shown in the past and now she is a broodmare. I am actually hoping for a colt but will take either as long as it is healthy and my mare is safe! Thanks again. PS Can you tell that my horses are my children?! I am like a neurotic mother/grandmother! LOL
default_new_shocked.gif

Yea, these guys grow on you, which makes it hard when you have to sell them.

My first mare, who I learned so much with, is for sale, and I can not tell you how many times I have turned away a buyer.
default_wacko.png
Now she is pregnant and in foal to Desperado, last year she had an outstanding colt by him, but we lost it at 3 days old. So, I would really like to keep her till she foals, then I can just see myself taking her off the market again. (I must be crazy) It has been easier to part with my puppies, then it has with these horses.

I keep telling myself I need to reduce and sell 25 horses this year. But, I keep putting them on the market and taking them off again.
default_wacko.png
Last year I almost sold two mares to England that I really did not want to sell. Fortunatly the deal fell through, as one of the dams yearlings sons won a World Championship and the other dam's colt from last year is turning out to be a stunner and I just recently sold him to a show home.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that you have a very healty foal (colt).
default_smile.png

PS Can you tell that my horses are my children?! I am like a neurotic mother/grandmother! LOL
default_new_shocked.gif

I sure can relate! When one of my mares goes into labor, I am a nervous wreck.
default_wacko.png
The thoughts of all of the things that could go wrong race through my mind and I have to get a firm hold of myself. I make an effort to be as calm as possible while out with the mare since they will pick up on our emotions and I don't want to freak her out. When things do go bad, I deal with it decisively (and call my vet if necessary). It's always such a relief when the foal is born, and has nursed, and the mare is recovering.

Maidens can be tough to figure out at times, but think of how relieved you will feel when the foal is here and all is well.
default_smile.png

I would really watch her closely, sounds like shes near her time. Shes showing classic signs of being near foaling. Good luck and let us all know what you get!

Latest posts

Back