2012 in review

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
What were the best books you read this year?

I read lots of good ones but there were several that really stood out for me...

The "Shade Trilogy" by Jeri Smith-Ready

The "Negotiator Trilogy" by C.E. Murphy

"Elsewhere" by Gabrielle Zevin (I absolutely LOVED the life-after-death possibility that this book revolves around.)

The "Vampire Academy" Series by Richelle Mead

From a busy reading year, these were my favorites:

State of Wonder, Ann Pattchet

Prodigal Summer, Barbara Kingsolver

The Light Between Oceans, M. L. Stedman

Finding My Distance, Julia Wendell (non-fiction...eventing)

The Dog Stars, Peter Heller

The Flavia de Luce mysteries by Alan Bradley

...The Sweetness At the Bottom of the Pie

...The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Noose

...A Red Herring Without Mustard

...I Am Half Sick of shadows

Tell the Wolves I'm Home, Rifka Brunt

Cloud Garden, Tom Hart Dyke and Paul Winder (non-fiction)

Glass Castles, Jeannette Wall

Half-broke Horses, Jeannette Wall

Last edited by a moderator:
There is such a variety of books that everyone is reading. Most of which, I've never heard of before. I LOVE it!

I've been lucky to listen to many good books this year. Some of my favorites (I think I listened to these all this year, vs. last year) inlude:

• The Help, by Katherine Stockett
  • One Missisppi, by Mark Childress
  • This is Where I Leave You, Everything Changes, The Book of Joe and How To Talk To a Widower, all by Jonathan Tropper
  • All the Stephanie Plum books, by Janet Evanovich
  • Most of the Kay Scarpetta books by Patricia Cornwell (I started reading these late last year)
  • Most of the Betsy books by MaryJanice Davidson (she jumps the shark late in the series and I quit... something I nearly never do!)
  • Every book by Molly Harper... she has two paranormal series and one basic fiction. She is AWESOME!
  • 11-22-63, by Stephen King
  • The Psychic Eye series by Victoria Laurie (Stephanie Plum fans should check this one out!)
  • Jesse Petersen's zombie killing comedic romanance series
  • Diana Rowland's White Trash Zombie Series (so fun, but only 2 books so far)
  • Mark Tufo;s Zombie Fallout Series (people who love the Walking Dead should love this series!)

Right now, I'm reading the latest Kathy Reich's book, then it's going to be the latest Patricia Cornwell... Then I hope the latest Zombie Fallout........... THEN I'm digging into those JD Robb books
default_yes.gif
I swear, reading is a hobby I am as thankful for as I am for our horses, which is to say VERY thankful!!!

I started the year with this great plan to keep track of the books I read, with a few notes about what I enjoyed/didn't enjoy - I thought it would be helpful in my writing, figuring out what made a story work. Probably would have too, if I'd actually done it! I think I did about 3 books, lasted about a week. So much for that plan!

So what did I read this year?? I'm not sure!

Jill's post reminded me - I really liked The Help. Made me angry, over things that happened before I was born.

The Book Thief was amazing. Amazing.

Sara - you like YA, yes? I read Paranormalcy and Supernaturally by Kiersten White, they were good fun, I need to read the final book of the trilogy, Endlessly.

The Enchantment Emporium & The Wild Ways by Tanya Huff - I definitely need to search out her back list. This calls for a trip to my favorite used book store!

Sara - you like YA, yes? I read Paranormalcy and Supernaturally by Kiersten White, they were good fun, I need to read the final book of the trilogy, Endlessly.
I have never heard of this series. It does sound good, but does it deal with demons? That is like the only thing I don't like to read about.

I started the year with this great plan to keep track of the books I read, with a few notes about what I enjoyed/didn't enjoy - I thought it would be helpful in my writing, figuring out what made a story work. Probably would have too, if I'd actually done it! I think I did about 3 books, lasted about a week. So much for that plan!
Kendra, do you have a Shelfari bookshelf? I keep track of all the books I read on mine, and you have the option of rating the book and leaving notes/reviews on it. You can see my shelf by clicking on my signature link. I don't usually write a review but I always rate what I read.

I don't remember any demons ... I'm a wimp and these books weren't too scary for me! Very interesting approach to the usual paranormal critters though, I enjoyed them!

I started a Goodreads account, but haven't done anything with that either. Unsurprisingly, organization isn't one of my strengths. ;-)

Latest posts

Back