New to minis, and mini pregnancy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick Question!

Is it safe to transition her to alfalfa hay, from grass hay. My hay guy said he doesn't think he has fescue in the fields, but can't guarantee fescue free hay. My only other option right now is alfalfa hay. Shes getting 1 cup (PM) of rogue mare and foal (seen here:https://shop.grangecoop.com/products/rogue-quality-feeds-mare---foal-50lb-68233.html) andgrass hay 2xdaily, with 15-20 mins of pasture grazing mid day. I was thinking to cut out her grazing time and switch slowly from the grass to alfalfa? I love rogue feeds, used to work for the company and have seen where they are made, and what goes into them, so I won't switch up her grain, just hay.

I may be wrong, but I think it would be just fine to feed alfalfa to her. I also hear it helps them produce more milk. But someone may correct me lol

We have fed it to mares in foal with no problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely!!! I am a firm believer in alfalfa and fed it exclusively to all my horses for years and years. Gives an added protein boost, and acts as a tummy soother as well. Great for growing bones and muscles!

Last edited:
Being west coast I'm surrounded by alfalfa and think it does great things for horses, but I wasn't sure about minis! I'll pick some up come payday!

I use alfalfa and it's rich and nutritious for pregnant mares. And the mares love it.

Well, little chunky mama tore her stall up last night, dumped water everywhere and dragged her hay tub into the middle of the stall, then pooed in her grain pan. I think she was mad at me for keeping her inside during the massive rain/hail/snowstorm last night, so she let me know that putting her up for the night 3 hrs early just because of weather is not okay with her!
default_impatient.jpg
She was even more of a clingy mare today, making getting photo updates hard to get but after a half an hour I finally got what I needed! She feels like she has gotten very wide again! Sorry she's a bit dirty today, weather isn't nice enough to clean her up.

little mamas as of 3/23: (again, some are sideways, no clue how to fix that sorry!)

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_1901.JPG

IMG_1904.JPG

IMG_1914.JPG

IMG_1915.JPG

Well lass has me stumped, and her bag and belly changes have been pretty much consistent, so I'm paying the extra $ to have her ultrasound done and we will know for sure. Vet can't get here until next Tuesday. I'm preparing for a "not pregnant" but lass is ready to retire anyway. Will update again in a week.

Hmmm yes I see a little change too.... These mare..... So hard to know. I hope you see a foal in there next week!!!!

If she doesn't i'll be sad because she's such a gorgeous mare, and she will go on a diet to address this belly, I came out this morning and thought I must be crazy. She's gained weight overnight! Chunky mamas.

image.jpg

Now THAT looks like a baby belly to me Lol!! And you are very right about her being a gorgeous mare!! Love her!!!! : D

Well, now I'm starting to think I should cancel my vet appt. her bag last Thursday(left) vs. last night (right).

image.jpg

Oooooooooo I'm getting excited!!!!!! Looks like she is going shopping to me! ; D

we shall see, her vulva looks much more relaxed today, but no difference at the milk bar, no belly drop, and no jello butt.
default_whistling.gif
Just sitting and waiting. Good thing I have time.

She sure looks pregnant to me in those new pictures, and her udder is changing from the pictures. Remember, filling the udder can take 4-6 weeks, I generally count on 3-4 weeks, but each mare is different and I've known mares that have taken over a month to fill. Then there are those that don't get an udder just to make you crazy. We call this "udder madness" !!!

If she is just filling, she can take a little time, or she may not really 'fill' at all before foaling. As to the belly drop.... she may not drop. She may hold tight and high and mot show you that drop as a sign.

Can you get a picture to show how she's elongating? That might give us a clue.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back