Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I talked at length with my vet today she thought staying home was the best option. We went over the vaccination option and the conversation solidified how I felt about it. I sure learned a lot in 24 hours!

MajorClem, I was pretty nervous (and really excited) about showing him in a driving class. I have never driven at a show before and it was completely out of my comfort zone. Wish you lived close to me, we could step out of that "box" together!

Cappy's vacation is over. I took him out yesterday. He wore his new bridle for the second time and he seems happy with it, and the larger bit, too. The bit looks a little low and sloppy to me, but if Cappy's happy, I can live with it.

The cart shopping is ongoing, the goal has changed and my husband wants something that he can use with Cappy to "move things with" like brush and little logs and leaves and the neverending supply of manure tubs. So if any of you have an idea what kind of vehicle would work, let me know. From his desription, it sounds like he want a "manly" cart, lol. He even requested heavy duty tires. I'm coming up with a blank on it. A flatbed? I thought a forecart would be cute, but that it is not exactly what he described. And I can't find mini ones anywhere :-(

Marsha, did you clip Buckly yet?

I talked at length with my vet today she thought staying home was the best option. We went over the vaccination option and the conversation solidified how I felt about it. I sure learned a lot in 24 hours!

MajorClem, I was pretty nervous (and really excited) about showing him in a driving class. I have never driven at a show before and it was completely out of my comfort zone. Wish you lived close to me, we could step out of that "box" together!

Cappy's vacation is over. I took him out yesterday. He wore his new bridle for the second time and he seems happy with it, and the larger bit, too. The bit looks a little low and sloppy to me, but if Cappy's happy, I can live with it.

The cart shopping is ongoing, the goal has changed and my husband wants something that he can use with Cappy to "move things with" like brush and little logs and leaves and the neverending supply of manure tubs. So if any of you have an idea what kind of vehicle would work, let me know. From his desription, it sounds like he want a "manly" cart, lol. He even requested heavy duty tires. I'm coming up with a blank on it. A flatbed? I thought a forecart would be cute, but that it is not exactly what he described. And I can't find mini ones anywhere :-(

Marsha, did you clip Buckly yet?
I would LOVE a forecart for my minis. The great thing about them is you can hitch anything onto them. So you can put a skid/sled on and haul hay or hook a chain on and drag logs or tires. Pioneer makes mini forecarts I believe.

Glad you feel good about your decision after talking with your vet. Care to share some of what you learned?

Also very glad that Cappy is happy in his new setup. Isn't it funny how sometimes we think it's the perfect setup and they hate it. Then a goofy, to us, setup works for them? Opinionated little beggers aren't they?

MajorClem, I can try and share what I learned, but it was all thrown at me so fast that I can't swear I'll be completely!accurate. What I THINK I learned was that with the strangles vaccination it is either a live intranasal vaccination or an injection. The concern with the injection form of vaccination is infections at the injection site that can be pretty nasty. The concern with the nasal vaccination is if the horse has a certain amount of antibodies to the strangles virus already (from having it or having an exposure) and you give the vaccination, it can trigger some kind of exaggerated immune response and that reaction can also be pretty nasty. So to make sure it is safe to give, they can do a titer to see where the antibody levels are. If you know your horses health history you don't need the titer, but if the horse is new to you within 2-3 years you should pull the titer before giving the intranasal vaccination. Since I have had Peanut and Cap less than three years, the titer was recommended. And then after all that was explained, the vet said the vaccination is not all that effective and it might not prevent strangles but it WOULD make it less severe if they got it.

So after ALL that, I said no. It seemed like too much risk and not enough benefit. Sorry to be so long winded with that!

Every time I go to the Pioneer website, they have no mini forecarts. Maybe I am at the wrong site?

Last edited by a moderator:
My neighbor took in a rescue. She thought just having a fence between it and her own 4 horses would be enough. When she called the vet out to look at the rescue, he told her to move him away from her horses quickly. All four of her horses got strangles. She didn't move the rescue quickly enough. The good news, everybody got well and the rescue went to a fine new home.

My two boys got into a kicking match tonight. Luckily I was standing right there and sprayed them with the water hose. Then separated them. What in the world!

Tomorrow is a full day.. 87 Head Start children. Got my cart washed and tires aired. Washed the dirt and bird guano off the trailer. Dapper Dan will have a dose of banamine in the morning. If I see he is getting tired, i will put him up and all the children won't get rides. My sister will have her little hrose also. My neighbor is coming to help with Buckly. I'm a little worried about him and the children and would prefer to handle him myself. But she is a hefty lady and I don't want DD to carry her and two children. She is a good rider and hrosewoman, so I'm sure she will be fine with Buckly. But I worry.

The boys must have Spring Fever! Do they ever get possessive of you, Marsha? Sometimes mine get!a little peeved with each other if one thinks I am playing favorites.

Have fun tomorrow ☺. Sounds like Buckly will be in good hands, but it is!hard not to worry. I bet he will be fine and the experience will be good!for him. I hope you have some pictures to share afterwards. 87 kids, that is alot!

I have edited!out so many ! today. I can't keep up with them. They are everywhere.

The boys must have Spring Fever! Do they ever get possessive of you, Marsha? Sometimes mine get!a little peeved with each other if one thinks I am playing favorites.

Have fun tomorrow ☺. Sounds like Buckly will be in good hands, but it is!hard not to worry. I bet he will be fine and the experience will be good!for him. I hope you have some pictures to share afterwards. 87 kids, that is alot!

I have edited!out so many ! today. I can't keep up with them. They are everywhere.
I wasn't with them when they acted up. But I had them confined in the corral because we were working in the area and I didn't want to have to keep the pasture gate shut. They were likely peeved at being shut up. I've had Buckly 7 months now. I do detect a little possessiveness once in a while in him. Dapper Dan is such an independent character; he is so full of himself there isn't room for competition.

The Head Start outing went well. Got hitched by 9 am and children arrived. We gave rides until 11:30. Then about 12:15 two more classes came. We finished about 1:30. My helper ended up being needed to give rides on the big horses, so she didn't get to work with Buckly. He got some exposure, however. I was getting Dapper Dan all harnessed and found I didn't have a bit in my driving bridle! No one had a small bit. Called husband, and he brought me one from home--22 miles round trip.

All the little ones enjoyed going into the horse trailer to neigh and jump and scream. No one got stepped on or bitten. Weather was ideal.

Didn't get a picture of my sister and her little Jackio O; she is a beautiful little power house. Some children preferred to ride in her cart as she is a showy pinto.

head start 2018 2.jpg

head start 2018.jpg

Looks like you had a perfect day!

My husband loved the picture on the right (I do too), he said Dapper Dan looked happy. It is a beautiful picture of everyone and DD. It could be an ad for promoting minis!

Sounds like your hubby was the hero of the day. Good thing he was home at the time and knows what a bit is!

I see Buckly looking cool as a cucumber in the background :)

PS: I would rather ride with DD because he is bay ☺.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every time I go to the Pioneer website, they have no mini forecarts. Maybe I am at the wrong site?
I looked on Pioneer and you're right. They no longer have mini forecarts listed. They have draft and halflinger and that's all I can find. Grrrrr....!

Who has been driving? Anything new going on with anyone?

I had Cappy out yesterday and today for a short time. The fist time hitched to the cart this Spring. He is out of shape so we kept it slow. My crooked little man tried to carry himsef straight, which we had worked on last Fall, until he got a little tired. That is when we stopped. He also offered to bend once or twice, so he did remember his lessons from last year.

I still can't manage to drive through a set of cones without flattening one!

I've been so slammed with work, and the unexpected baby horse, yard work, new puppy in training. Add all that to not having a cart up here yet (still all down South) and I just haven't been motivated to get the minis out. I feed and brush them out twice a day (shedding, shedding, shedding) but they are just hay burners at the moment. We've had some big rain storms come through recently too. The weather can't make up its mind....

I've been so slammed with work, and the unexpected baby horse, yard work, new puppy in training. Add all that to not having a cart up here yet (still all down South) and I just haven't been motivated to get the minis out. I feed and brush them out twice a day (shedding, shedding, shedding) but they are just hay burners at the moment. We've had some big rain storms come through recently too. The weather can't make up its mind....
Busy time of year for sure! With the days getting longer one would think we'd have more time to work with our horses, but yard work and gardening call instead.

Who has been driving? Anything new going on with anyone?

I had Cappy out yesterday and today for a short time. The fist time hitched to the cart this Spring. He is out of shape so we kept it slow. My crooked little man tried to carry himsef straight, which we had worked on last Fall, until he got a little tired. That is when we stopped. He also offered to bend once or twice, so he did remember his lessons from last year.

I still can't manage to drive through a set of cones without flattening one!
I was looking back to the beginning of this topic and see you are at two years of driving in April.   You've come a long way.

I was looking back to the beginning of this topic and see you are at two years of driving in April.   You've come a long way.
Thank you :).  I have learned so much about driving here from everyone and appreciate the help I have received.  It is so good to have a place to come and share the all the ups and downs of the learning experience.

Since my show season was put on the back burner, I have been driving Cappy more.  I drove him out in the bigger pasture twice and he was good.  I tire him out in the paddock first, making sure his mind is on business.  His balance is better than last year, he is not so much on his forehand all the time.  I have put off calling the instructor because the weather was so cold and wet up until about two weeks ago.

I actually drove both minis yesterday, my husband was home and he hitched Cappy while I unharnessed Peanut.  It worked out well.   Today my arthritis is miserable so I just did chores and called it quits.  Now we are having a thunder storm.  I don't mind the rumbles, it is peaceful (unless its really a bad one).

How is Buckly coming along?  Do you have him dragging things again?  I think I read in the "hours" thread that he was?  

?Happy 2 year driving anniversary Cayuse!!! You are waaaaaay ahead of where I was at two years. You're way ahead of where I am now at 5 years. So sorry to hear about your arthritis. Did the thunderstorm coming in make it worse??

So I'm completely overwhelmed right now. I went from having 2 minis to having 6 to care for. Pistol was an unexpected purchase that my father made. Pistol was supposed to be his project but the responsibility is all falling on me. If you don't work with him every day he just goes back to being a skittish mess. He's good natured but very suspicious. Guess that's what happens when you have no human contact for 8 years.

Then there is the new baby, Perry. I love the little guy but he was totally unexpected and he's a little handful. I love love love Candace and she was supposed to be my one new mini. I was supposed to have 3 not 5.

So where does the 6th one come in you ask? Dad told his friend that we (me) would keep Smokey for the summer while he is in Illinois. I  don't mind taking care of Smokey and we love to team drive him with Candace but she's out of commission for a bit and Smokey gets fat on air. I hate to give him back at the end of the summer with a hay belly and no muscle tone from standing around unused all summer but having 3 horses to drive and 2 to try and gentle and train and Major to keep in shape with walks and lunging I'm about fit to be tied!!!!

Sorry about the rant. I'm bailing water as fast as I can but the good ship "Sanity" is slowly sinking. No carts this weekend :(  but hopefully in the next week or two my FIL will be headed down to pick up that new trailer and can fill it with carts for me to bring up.

I would let Pistol veg for awhile.  And I believe Candace can drive now.  I have seen quite a few photos of foals running beside moms in harness.  I could never do 6horses.  I have 2. I have had 3 before and it was hard.  I pony an extra behind the cart to exercise one.  Hang on to your sanity!

I would let Pistol veg for awhile.  And I believe Candace can drive now.  I have seen quite a few photos of foals running beside moms in harness.  I could never do 6horses.  I have 2. I have had 3 before and it was hard.  I pony an extra behind the cart to exercise one.  Hang on to your sanity!
I have to get Perry halter broke before I can drive Candace. He's a little independent. He quit following her at about 4 days old.... like I said, little handful. I've got a mini foal halter on order so when that gets here we'll get to work so we can get her on the cart.

I'm really excited to get some team driving in this summer though. I'm also wondering if I can pair up Clementine and Smokey to teach Clem to be part of a team. Smokey is one of those almost bomb proof horses and he also out ranks Clem in the herd so I'm thinking, even though there is a big size difference, he may be the one to help with her. So we'll be ground driving them together soon :)

I have to get Perry halter broke before I can drive Candace. He's a little independent. He quit following her at about 4 days old.... like I said, little handful. I've got a mini foal halter on order so when that gets here we'll get to work so we can get her on the cart.

I'm really excited to get some team driving in this summer though. I'm also wondering if I can pair up Clementine and Smokey to teach Clem to be part of a team. Smokey is one of those almost bomb proof horses and he also out ranks Clem in the herd so I'm thinking, even though there is a big size difference, he may be the one to help with her. So we'll be ground driving them together soon :)
That little rascal!  If he won't follow mom then it wouldn't work to have him loose.  Hope the Clem/Smokey team work out!

The good ship "Sanity" is slowly sinking...  That got me giggling MC!  I have been on that particular vessel myself and the bailing buckets always seem to have holes in the bottom.

Six is a lot to care for,  my small group of three wears me out some days.

I think the pairing of Clem and Smokey sounds like a great idea!  Hope the carts get to you soon so you can get started ☺.

If Perry is independent, maybe he can learn to stay in a pen while his ma is being worked with, it could be like semi-weaning lessons.  Maybe as long as he can see her, he would be OK if you drove her around but stayed close.

Thank you both (MC and Marsha) for noticing my "two years" ☺!

Oh, and yes the arthritis get worse when storms come through, mostly when it involves humidity.

Latest posts

Back