Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MajorClem, I bet your theory could be right. She picked up some bad mannerisms when she felt sick and they became a habit because they worked. If only they could talk and advise us of their "issues".

Cappy is going through a snitty spell. He's been pushy and mouthy and using his rump to ram whoever is in his space out of the way. The rump thing is a nuisance. It is a habit he came with and falls back into from time to time. His timing with the manuever has been perfected .

The cart is from Frontier Equestrian. Their mini easy entry. I should call and get the measurements on it and get the ball rolling.

Marsha, I hope you got out today. It was too cold for me today and we have had about three or!four days of hard winds, too. And rain.
The little wagonette that I have is a Frontier Cart. We also have the large horse size for our team. We've been really happy with both carts.

I'm hoping that Clem is indeed feeling better and just needed an attitude adjustment. She was still doing well and behaving when I left.

@MajorClem: I welcome back Clementine! Glad to hear about the good news
default_smile.png
Did you moved your horses back to your home or are they still in the south?

(sorry about the question, I'm not sure I missed out something but I didn't read about)
They are still south for a few more weeks. Middle of May they will be coming home. Just in time for perfect driving weather up here.

In other news.... dad kept telling me that Candace was not losing any weight on her "diet". I told him to quit cutting back her feed. If she wasn't getting smaller than that was just her shape and he needed to feed her the regular amount. He weighs the mini's feed so we know exactly how much they are getting. When I went down to see her this week I almost passed out. She's not fat.... SHE'S PREGNANT! I took one look at that little horse and there was no doubt in my mind. Especially when she's much fatter on one side than the other and two hours later the fat has switched sides. Poor thing. He's been feeding her less trying to get her weight down and she's trying to grow a baby. She's already bagged up too so it won't be too long.

When I told him she was pregnant he said "There's no way, we've had her too long". Nope dad, we've had her since September. That's only 8 months. So surprise, my Iowa mini was a 2-4-1. Now let's just hope that everything goes well. Neither one of us has ever had a horse foal so we're a bit out of our league but our direct neighbor at the horse barn has lots of experience so he's helping us keep watch on her. She's been moved to her own stall and pretty much free feeds on grass hay. The stall is secure so the baby can't get out and nothing can get in. Now it's just a waiting game.

Any words of wisdom?

Northwolf, I wish it was warm here! It was 30 degrees this morning. Peanut has been rubbing and itching, too. I washed his tail today with an anti fungal and I wormed him last week. He goes through spells of itchiness. It seems to be his tail mostly, and I have to keep his sheath very clean or he flops himself down on the ground and drags himself along on his belly to itch it.

I have not ordered the cart yet. I am still debating on the color, lol.

I was supposed to have my cataract fixed today but chickened out .

Northwolf, I wish it was warm here! It was 30 degrees this morning. Peanut has been rubbing and itching, too. I washed his tail today with an anti fungal and I wormed him last week. He goes through spells of itchiness. It seems to be his tail mostly, and I have to keep his sheath very clean or he flops himself down on the ground and drags himself along on his belly to itch it.

I was supposed to have my cataract fixed today but chickened out ???.

Last edited by a moderator:
MajorClem!!! I missed!your post somehow. I think because it was at the top of the page (and I managed to quote myself, too,I seem to be technically challenged today)

About Candace, Wow! She deserves here very own ! :)

I hope that she has a baby that is a duplicate of herself, she is such a good girl. Are you happy? Any idea at all who the daddy might be?

Do you have pictures of her with her belly?

Wouldn't it be great if the baby was a good as she is! Hope all goes well for her.

I cannot get inspired to work with Buckly. Today was a good day to do it; I even walked out to the barn to harness him, and then turned away.

Cayuse: I've chickened out of dental work before! I feel for you. Having a procedure on your eyes sounds like less fun than dental work.

I'm excited about the baby because who doesn't love a baby mini. However, I really hadn't expected it and never really had the desire to breed anything so I'm feeling kind of overwhelmed. No idea who she was bred to since I had a buyer who picked her up at the sale for me. He knew the previous owner though so I'm going to call and leave a message on his answering machine (Amish...phone at the business and only returns calls between 7-8AM) and see if he can ask who she was most likely exposed to. The thing I am a bit bummed about is, even though Candace is registered, the baby won't be. But I guess, since we will be keeping it, it's not such a big deal.

I really hope it has the same attitude as Candace.

I am horse sitting Smokey this summer so I was hoping to drive Smoky and Candace quite a bit as a team. Kind of hard to do when she's nursing. When can you put them back to work? I am totally clueless.

Marsha: I was feeling that way about Pistol this weekend. I got Clem out and we sorted through some of her issues then I went in to get Pistol and he's as jumpy as he was when we first got him. He's doing that fun thing where he's regressing. Gah! Dad is going to keep working with him but I just didn't have the patience or energy and that's never good. If I lose my temper with him that'll set him back even further.

Here's a couple pic of Candace. Only driving related because she's my wonder driver. Oh, and two weeks ago she spent the weekend with Smokey at Smokey's owner's family reunion pulling kids around in the wagon all day. I'm glad she was pulling with Smokey as a team. He's a good puller and she doesn't seem any worse for the wear.

20180406_114803.jpg20180406_114905.jpg20180408_113318.jpg

It's kind of hard to tell in the pic but her udders are full and solid. Each side is a good handful for lack of a better way to explain it. Also, they were much more swollen on the day I left than they were 5 days previous when I arrived.

If Candace's former owner will cooperate, he might be willing to file a late stallion report, if the stallion is registered. AMHA will certainly work with you. Buckly was with a mare before I got him and I offered to do a stallion report for her, but they didn't care. Too bad for the baby. I would still do it, if they asked.

I feel a little impatient about training Buckly because of Dapper Dan's age. And at 10, Buckly isn't getting younger either! I still believe he will work out.

It's official!!! My minis are back! Spring driving for me!

Well I can drive Clementine and Smokey anyway. Candace gets time off since she's too big to fit between the shafts anyway. I was bummed that I wouldn't get to drive her and Smokey as a team while I'm watching him this summer but I forgot to be grateful that I'll have a second horse to drive even with Candace out on maternity leave!

Whooooo hooooo! Maybe I can build some hours now!

Yeah, I'm glad too your horses arrived safe!
default_smile.png
Great, you can make now some hours with your horses!

We had a very sunny and warm weekend. Drove two times with the M-team. Teddy came with us to get some training. On sunday, I hitched Teddy for the first time after his shoulder injury. HE'S BACK! Nothing reminded his shoulder was so bad two months ago. He was pulling like a tractor and seemed very happy.

How are you all? Does the spring arrives too in your regions?

Northwolf, glad to read Teddy is back to his old self. Must be nice to drive him again. I bet he was happy to get out and go!

No springtime here in New England. We had sleet yesterday and sleet with high winds today. I did get to drive Peanut on Friday before the wet weather came. I have not done a thing with Cappy except lunge him a bit everyday and practice some in hand things with him. It is hard to work two when the weather is not cooperating at all. It has been gray and damp and gloomy for what seems like months.

Yeah, I'm glad too your horses arrived safe!
default_smile.png
Great, you can make now some hours with your horses!

We had a very sunny and warm weekend. Drove two times with the M-team. Teddy came with us to get some training. On sunday, I hitched Teddy for the first time after his shoulder injury. HE'S BACK! Nothing reminded his shoulder was so bad two months ago. He was pulling like a tractor and seemed very happy.

How are you all? Does the spring arrives too in your regions?
So happy Teddy is back!!!! What a great feeling that is when you've had one that's been injured and off duty and they make a full recovery back!

Spring around here teases us. It's a running joke that our weather goes as follows.

Winter

Fool's Spring

Second Winter

Spring of Deception

Third Winter

Mud Season

Actual Spring

Summer

False Fall

Second Summer

Fall

Right now we are just getting over Third Winter and into Mud season. It snowed Thursday night and a big rain storm is now blowing in. Hopefully another couple of weeks and we'll be into actual spring. Then the spring riding and driving begins!!! And all the tack has to be adjusted smaller as they lose their winter wooly coats. Clementine still has a full beard. I usually clip my driving horses down but not until June since our nights still get so cold.

Now that I have horses up here I need to get my carts back up here too. FIL is going down south in a couple of weeks to pick up a trailer he bought so he said he could bring my carts and wagonette up with him. It'll be muddy nasty weather off and on until then so I'm not losing much driving between now and then.

I know it's not driving related unless you count that momma is s driving superstar... but here is our new future driving star. Meet Perry! He's amazing.

attachicon.gif
20180416_090551.jpg
I was very surprised to read about that, not expected yet! Congratulations to the little boy! I love his color
default_smile.png

@Cayuse: I had doubt how he's feeling the day after our first drive... But he's all ok! I'm so happy, hope it's definitely over.

Seems we grabbed all the good spring weather for Europe... The forecast is sunny and warm the whole week, it may reach summer temperatures. I think about clipping the horses.

Tell me I did the right thing, guys.

There is a "strangles" outbreak in several places around me, near were I show. My minis are not vaccinated for it because there is some question as to the effectiveness and safety of the vaccine in older horses.

So I decided to forego show season. I do have a call in to my vet for her opinion, but I really don't want to risk strangles and I don't want to risk the vaccination, either.

I am so disappointed. I was going to show Peanut in harness for the first time this coming Sunday. I didn't post about it because I was worried it would be an epic failure, lol. I was going to share the good, the bad, and the ugly about the event afterwards. With Peanut, I was pretty sure I could count on a little of all three of those things happening, probably simultaneously, lol.

I know I am doing right in keep in the horses home, but I even postponed that darn cataract surgery to show this Spring (that and I chickened out, now I suppose I HAVE to get the eye fixed...no excuses)

?

Yes, I think you're doing the right. I wouldn't risk the horses health for a show, too. But it's a pity anyway, I appreciate you're disappointed about that
default_sad.png
I feel for you!

Instead of renting a stall, could you just stay at your trailer? As long as they

don't touch or drink from the same water you should be safe. I don't think it is airbourne but through body fluids. Although, I suppose, judges could pass it around in a halter class. So sorry you had to make a hard decision.

Thanks for listening and letting me whine about the situation. It is!!so nice to be able to come here and talk it over with people who understand. I set this one goal for myself a long time ago and I just can't seem to reach it for various reasons, none of them related to Peanut.

Marsha, we don't get stalls, we work out of the trailer. You're right about the transmission, via buckets and secretions (nasal and cough) but since it is at numerous barns in the area it makes me think the risk is too high that someone might show up with a horse that is carrying it.

Maybe when it all dies down we can go to one in the late summer.

On the bright side, if I am not showing this summer, I will have more time to work Cappy.

I think you made the right decision. Any time you make a decision for the benefit of your horses health, it's the right decision. Even if it's hard and disappointing. It also helps get a quicker hold on an outbreak. The more people that keep their horses home the less distance the virus can spread.

I also agree with your decision to not vaccinate the older horses for it. I'm believe that vaccinations are a good thing when used correctly. So many times we over-vaccinate or vaccinate when we shouldn't.

I would have loved to hear how Peanut did though
default_smile.png
I've never had the guts to show anyone. I have no idea what I'm doing and not as willing to step outside my box. Next year? Or like you said, after this outbreak is under control maybe later this year.

Latest posts

Back