Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a lovely team! I'm day dreaming about those days that'll hopefully come with Coal and Magic.

Tried to take three mini's out today (Sierra, Coal and Magic) However, Coal and Sierra's fiery hate for Magic was a bit challenging to keep in check and it forced me to leave Magic home. I'm sure he wasn't complaining...

Hauled them to where I board the big horses and had some fun going around and around ;) Sierra got her booty worked when she threw a tantrum wanting to follow Coal at a brisk trot. Therefore, we trotted. Lots. Even when she wanted to stop we kept going. Sobered her up relatively quickly on about the 10th lap around the ring (It's a relatively small ring). My Mom drove Coal for most of the time and then let me take the reins over and do some serpentine's and such. My Mom isn't thrilled about riding so it's quite refreshing she has an interest in driving.

Coal was a rockstar of course despite my Sheltie being quite an annoying little brat today (She will be staying home from hereon). She didn't do anything naughty, she just kept trying to "chase" Coal while in harness. He kept his composure and ignored her as did Sierra.

14915213_10156224435467228_1634826635437838506_n.jpg

15027626_10156224711732228_6057792127153370889_n.jpg

I found a Gypsy Cob in Tennessee I have the eyes for... He'd make a lovely driver (giggle)

The carriage in the pair pictures is a Hardwick Tadpole. I started out with a Glinkowski wagonette which weighed about 240 lbs. I'm always trying to make things easier for the boys so, when I got a small inheritance from my aunt I ordered the Tadpole from Russ Hardwick in Florida. It weighs 185 lbs. It also cost about twice as much. The horses like it very well. It's not so nice for the humans since the Glinkowski had nice seats and more padding. Some of the padding you see in the photos I added to it. One other thing I realized recently - there's more drag on the Tadpole since the back step is behind the axle.

The Glinkowski had two levels of step behind the driver's seat, one in front of the rear axle and one behind. If the gator stands on the lower step he/she is adding drag to the vehicle. It can be useful going down hills, over "thank you ma'ams", etc. It's like adding weight though. The Tadpole only has one rear step, behind the rear axle.

I'm always reminded that there's so much to learn! The learning can never stop!

Met my sister in town today to drive. I took both horses; I figured if Rowdy was too spooky I would drive Dapper Dan with her instead. She wanted to do some street driving with her new horse. Fred is well trained, but young and needs more experience. So that was our plan. I got Rowdy hooked and did some circles, but he was too spooky to be out with a green horse, so changed over to DD. All the horses and the mule in the pen area were neighing and braying. All seemed antsy and unsettled today. We got out onto the road and were cutting across a grass area and I suggested trotting. Fred went into a bucking mode. My sister fell out of the cart but managed to hang onto a rein. He kept bucking until he got the cart twisted under himself. By then I had gotten to him with DD. I got hold of his head and he settled down. We had to unbuckle practically everything to get him out of the pretzel. Cart, harness, horse, driver all unhurt. Hooked him up again and she continued to drive. He had his back arched for another round but she had him under control. First time for him to act up so he caught her off guard. If she hadn't held onto the rein it could have been quite ugly. It has to be something to do with the moon!

Well that sounded like a rodeo! I am so glad that your sister was not hurt. And I had to chuckle at Fred having his "back arched for another round" even though it's not funny, it's just the picture I got in my head reading of his antics. What the heck set him off? Any idea? Besides feeling "loony" from the moon?

That's a scarey situation, with the cart under him. Your sister was brave to continue after that!

As to the bucking incident: I saw the beginning of it and I think if she had whacked him with her whip he would have come out of it. But she won't carry the whip in her hand; it was in the whip holder. No way does one have time to get a whip out of the holder in a lightning situation. I've tried to get her to learn to carry a whip in her hand, but she won't. Once Fred got into his bucking mode, he just kept on. She is my older sister and has had horses a lot longer than I have, so I am reluctant to tell her what to do, though I have more driving experience and training.

Rowdy has tried bucking before and a good smack gets his attention. Just have to be alert for the reaction after the smack!

Yikes!! That sounds like a startling experience! Thankful Misty had her kicking strap on when she went full on bronc with my friend...

Drove Sierra and Magic Man today. Drove Sierra first and had Magic run alongside us in the arena in full harness (exc. bridle) So after Sierra started to tucker out I hooked up Magic. Patient and quiet as I hooked him up and pretty much wasn't phased. So I get read to get in the cart and my friend hands me some bells to put on the saddle (after desensitizing of course). I turn to grab the bells, without reins in hand and next thing I hear is her "Uh, urgh..." and I turn around. Magic is walking away with the cart and Sierra tied to it. He wasn't in a hurry or phased, he just sauntered around the ring for a quarter of it before I got my hands on him. Getting ribbed by my friend for doing that as well ;)

I'm impressed and very happy with him. He's generally quiet in the shafts and only has moments of "wiggling" where the shafts stop him. We got to do a little trotting (YAY!), but we really need to focus on steering... Which he isn't super savvy on, but honest enough to give it his all.

15037255_10156256264137228_7887896657518530498_n.jpg

We've been ringing our straps of bells when we feed for the last month or so. We do this every fall so that they aren't surprised when we start putting the bells on after Halloween. It's probably overkill to do it every year but it's kind of routine now.

Glad some are getting out driving. Now that the weather has turned off cold I have lost the desire. I have arthritis in my thumbs so the colder it gets the more my hands hurt and the harder it is to deal with buckles and snaps. Hubby said he'd hitch up for me on one of the next sunny days though so I won't go the whole season without driving. Otherwise what was the point of all that bell ringing???

Majorclem, I thought of you the other day. I was at Agway and they had mini sets of bells and bell key chains that looked like harness bells. I almost bought one for Peanut. I think I just might. I drove him today. Just at the walk as he is now out of shape, but we had a nice time. He is happiest with a little job to do. I know I shouldn't do it but I strapped on the helmet really tight and went for it. My husband drove him first to feel him out. He was fine. Then he got vacummed, which he was dubious about but tolerated.

I know what it's like to have the fingers not work in the cold. Buckles and snaps are hard for me, too. It's very frustrating.

I hope you get a couple of warmer days so that you can enjoy the jingle bells.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a parade coming up in a couple of weeks and I was thinking about the bells. Rowdy hasn't been exposed to bells yet, but I probably won't take him to the parade anyway. I do need to get them out, though, and get him used to them. I've been thinking of how to attach the santa hat to the bridle; the reindeer antlers bit the dust last year and I haven't been in the mood to make another pair.

We had our firsts freeze last night but today is gorgeous. I should be driving, but I'm setting up heated water containers instead.

cut one ear hole in the santa hat and stick it on the bridle kinda to one side with one ear sticking through. This helps to hold int on. We've got a couple of Santa hats for our riding horses and this is what we did. It worked really well. You've got to post parade pics for all of us to see
default_smile.png

Took Rowdy out today. We did our circles first. He is better, but still very resistant in the turns. Went out onto the road for our 2 mile loop. He constantly tries to evade, swiveling from side to side on the road, looking for things to freak about. For him, I think it is all about evasion, not fear. Passed some cows, but we did it at a walk and he made it with some head-bobbing and side-stepping. But if I ask him to move right or left, he resists.

I laid the sleigh bells on him and he was fine with them. We trotted a little and made them jingle good. Ho hum. I wish I could figure out what will set him off--in advance. Obviously, it isn't sleigh bells.

We did some ground work first. He is side passing pretty well now, though not perfectly. He walked on the board, stood on his pedestal. We're still working on bowing--he is getting the hang, but it isn't smooth.

^ I think you've got a right peg on him. Sounds like he hopes it'll get him a break in work. That's awesome about the sleigh bells! I can't wait to get some for our guys... Tricks? Any pictures?! Would love to see!
default_smile.png

Had a good... but not so good drive today.

The Good:

isntadrive.jpg

Coal was FANTASTIC. I have a video that will come later that includes the gritty details of the bad to come, but it was quite a convenient choice for me to wear not only my helmet for the first time driving, but I had my GoPro on. Just to share the drive... Didn't expect much else. I love this guy more and more, he's so consistent <3.

The Bad:

A trailer was already at the parking lot when I arrived. They'd barely begun to tack their horses up so I thought maybe I could get Coal out and ahead of them before they tacked up. Didn't quite happen as Coal decided he was going to be a wiggle worm hooking up. They didn't need to groom their horses so it was pretty much throw tack on and go. I needed to groom, pick, and rebraid his tail so I just admitted to going after they left. This place is pretty nice and wide for driving carts, at least in the miniature variety. It isn't large, I think I did 1.75 miles and that was because I wanted to help with the bad portion of the drive.

I hoped that I wouldn't run up behind these two horses, I try and avoid surprising large horses since Mini's are so "shocking" to larger horses in general. Thankfully that didn't happen for quite sometime and Coal happily plunked along at a walk, trot and occasional canter. About 15 minutes into the drive I see them ahead of me (coming toward me) so I stop Coal once we get in sight of each other. They're friendly and I got out and held Coal. They were worried I did it as Coal was fearful of other horses. I explained I didn't know how their horses would react.

Unfortunately they didn't react well at all.

They tried to pass us, but couldn't get within 10 feet of us. A side path took them back toward the road so they volunteered to go that way. I thanked them and got back in my cart. Patience is a virtue I don't quite have with Coal and one we are working on as he starts to move once my bum gets in the cart. Next thing I see is the rider attempting to control a semi-bolting horse. Saddle slides to the left, off comes the rider and off goes the horse at a full blown gallop with the saddle slipping around under his belly. Shod all the way around galloping down the park road. At this point I'm slack jaw and I can't believe this just happened. The (later to be known) Mom, is trying to control her mare who is feverish once the other took off. I apologized profusely and asked if there was anything I could do (Although I clearly had done enough). So instead of continuing to upset her horse I ask Coal to move on and the plan was to take him back to the trailer and help try and catch their horse. In a sue happy world, all I could think of was them trying to sue me if something happened to their horse. Left a cold stab in my stomach the whole drive back.

About 5 minutes down the trail said horse gallops up behind us. I get out, tie Coal and try and approach the horse. Not sure at this point what I'll do if I catch him... Coal is trustworthy, but I don't like leaving a hitched mini tied and this horse was clearly rattled. He let me get about 15' away before he flagged his tail and took off the other direction. He's clearly banged himself up with a left front hoof red (he's a paint with stockings so makes it pretty clear) I get back in and resume the drive, not much else I can do.

By the time I get to the trailers they have him. So I wait at a distance until they're back at their rigs before I walk to the trailer. They weren't upset and the injuries appeared superficial. Their vet was already coming today, which makes me feel better, but this was the first time I've had such a profound issue with another horse and the minis. It unsettled me. She gave me her number and asked to "Call her." Apparently she wants to meet again to sensitize her horses.

Edit: I unhooked the cart at the trailer and offered them to bring their horses up to inspect both Coal and the cart. The mare was fine after a little investigation, but the paint gelding was only fine as long as he could see the mini. Coal took a step as they walked away and the gelding nearly spun into my truck freaking out over Coal moving
default_sad.png
So she brought him back and tried again. Ended on a good note, but still left me feeling lousy and anxious.

when I do parades, I always ask the organizers to put me far away from the big horses. I am not sure if it is the little horse so much as the cart + horse. Put me by the antique tractors, the motorcycles, the fire engines--just don't put me with the riding horses.

What a scary fiasco, Squeaks! Thank goodness you two came through fine.

I think we need a lesson once in a while in how powerful these animals are, even the little ones, and how important training is.

I wonder what the rider of that pinto will do now? Do you know their history? Were they new to each other? Trying him out?

Sounds as though you were using the trail very responsibly; they were the ones with the problem.

Squeaks, it's awful to have that feeling (lousy and anxious) continue after something happens like that but understandable. There was alot going on and none of it controllable for a few minutes. It's hard to see a horse running loose and all upset, possibly hurt to boot. But it was not your fault, it sounds like you did everything "right" from the beginning but things just happened.

I'm glad that you had your helmet on :)

The Mom said the horse had come a long way to how he was acting now. 16 year old, 17.2hh colossal baby apparently. I believe you're right. The mini horse isn't as much of a big deal as the cart combination was. I separated Coal and the cart enough for them to investigate both back at the trailer. Seemed the pinto was genuinely afraid of Coal. I don't know much about the riding pair other than the gelding having "come a long way." The Mom said I didn't owe them even an apology. She said it's a learning experience and thankfully no one was significantly hurt. All I could see as the Dressage saddle slipped under his belly was catching a stirrup iron and oh the realities of "What could happen" it made me darn near ill. I guess if it had been me I would've gotten off the horse and proceeded that way if my horse reacted as strongly as theirs did. Even my unflappable TWH gelding won't get close to the mini and cart if they're pushed. He'll approach on his own terms, but *sigh* Talk about a reality check.

I really appreciate the support as I felt horrible, but tried everything I could to accommodate the larger horses fears for the little guys. I was reluctant to go out yesterday afternoon (I'm in a lull) and about 5 minutes before we ran into each other I realized how happy I was to be back out there enjoying the company of Coal and nature. I'd like to think suggesting for riders to dismount in the future would be the best option. It's rare I run into people, but this park is so darn small it was inevitable. The only difference from what I remember is in the video you can hear me ask Coal to walk out and arguably I should have waited longer, I guess I was anxious as the gelding continued to unravel.

Here's the video if you'd like to watch some of our drive. I believe the fiasco started around the 13:50 mark and a couple minutes later in the clip he ran up on us. Neat little bridge at 24:40. Once the snip finishes processing I'll add tabs to those points.

https://youtu.be/V7hdPGS4esc

I have to say, when we first took my minis down to the barn with the riding horses they didn't like them at all. They were scared to death. Then when I started driving Clementine they thought the cart was evil. Now they are quite used to those things but I have to think if we had met someone on a trail with a mini and a cart a few years ago we would have had some nervous horses.

After watching your video I have just a few comments. I know you said that Coal likes to start off as soon as your butt gets in the seat but that's the one major thing that you could have done differently is to wait until the horses were further down the trail before you started towards them. Once the horses were turned down the other trail you started towards them. The horses could see and hear you coming towards them and now, in their minds, they were being pursued by the really scary tiny thing. As obviously nervous as those horses were I would have waited a full minute or so before continuing on so they had a chance to calm down, reconnect with their riders, and not feel chased. Not trying to criticize at all, just my own humble opinion.

I'm so glad that the people understood that it wasn't your fault and just one of the hazards of riding horses. Also very glad no one was hurt.

All that being said, what a beautiful and fun area you have to drive in. And what a good boy your Coal is. That was a lot of freaking out going on and he was such a good boy!

I completely and utterly agree. I'm upset with myself for not waiting, I know better. I guess I got caught up in all the chaos I wanted just as much away from them as the horses wanted us. I didn't realize until I watched the video that I asked him to move out.

Very proud of Coal and his reactions. Wonder if he's become accustomed to said large horse freak outs ;)

Latest posts

Back