Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so happy that Magic is doing well. Perhaps he has driving experience and is just rusty. Nervousness can make them mouthy with the bit, maybe he just needs to settle into his job. Cappy was like that, I think he knows how to drive, but not the finer points of it. It is so hard to asess their knowledge sometimes!

I'm going to jump up on my soapbox and say that I hope everyone wears a helmet when they drive. Ok, now I'll jump back off and I won't say anymore, lol. I don't want to lecture!

I purchased my sulky and harness about 15 years ago from a couple who used to be in the miniature horse racing industry in Florida. The sulky is a Jerald. Recently, the widow gave me some photos of their main horse and he is hitched to my sulky. It's labeled Warrior, but I haven't had a chance yet to ask her what the horse's full name is. I think this must be from the 70's or 80's--look at the guy's hair style. I see the thimbles are not in use, so not sure if they were removed for the racing or if this photo is just a promotional set-up. I'm not sure what the widow remembers, as her husband was the horseman. But it was fun to see my sulky in the old photo. And it's amazing how technologically advanced sulkies are now, with new fabricating materials!

sulky photo.jpg

I've been keeping up with reading this thread but haven't posted because I've been so busy having fun. I spent the week in Nauvoo, Illinois driving draft teams with my dad. Talk about a change. Going from the tiny guy who I can reach over to do up buckles on the other side to horses that need two people standing on railroad ties just to get their big heavy harnesses on. Such amazing animals though! And those feet.....

I also got the opportunity to drive Oxen. Now I'm pretty sure training oxen are in my future. It's a couple of years down the road for sure but they are some amazingly cool animals!

Glad to see so many on here still getting out and driving as the weather starts to turn. I've promised myself I'm getting out the sleigh runners for my cart this winter. Anyone else use sleighs or sleds with their minis in the winter? I also wondered about just hitching her to a disk sled for the kids... like a drag...

My big pony used to pull me on a plastic toboggan a few winters back. I also used him to haul the manure tubs to the pile when we had so much snow that hubby could not get the wheelbarrows up there. I bought a cheap nylon harness and it worked well, no worries about getting it ruined in the snow.

I could not figure out a way to keep the toboggan from riding up his heesl, so I used my feet as brakes (and wore a helmet :)) We had a blast. Probably not the safest thing to do,lol!

MajorClem what is the harness part and how is it placed on a draft harness so it holds the cart back when shafts are not used? Hames?

My harness bridle is getting fitted to Cappy next week, they sent me a message yesterday that they will be able to fit it or exchange it, so I brought it home from consignment. I'm at a loss as to what to do with it. Keep it I guess, if it fits, and wait out the year.

They use quarter straps. They go from the breeching, up under the belly and cross then forward between the front legs to the front of the team pole. So as the team pole between the two horses moves forward as the cart runs up it engages the breeching.

The hames are the metal sides (sometimes with the chrome or brass balls on top) that go over the leather neck collar. They are what the traces connect to.

I'm so glad they are making the bridle right with you. I know it's been a huge pain on your end but hopefully it will be worth it.

Thank you for explaining the quarter straps. I have never used or even examined that kind of harness before so I was clueless. I did spend one afternoon with a man who ran hay rides and he let me drive his team of draft horses the whole afternoon. It was one of the most fun things I have ever done. I learned alot from him, he was very generous with his knowledge.

I know nothing about oxen! Do you have a picture of you and the oxen?

I'd be willing to bet Magic's mouth isn't hard, just uneducated. I think you'll find that he gets better and better as you long line him. Sometimes it's hard to remember not to pull too hard on the bit but to ask and give, then ask again. A trainer can make a horse have a hard mouth by taking a hold and not giving.

When you talk about Magic trying to turn to look at you while hitched, that sounds like he's a good quiet boy that has never been driven. He may be trying to do what you're asking but doesn't quite understand. I look forward to hearing more of your adventures with Magic as he comes along.

I knew very little about team harnessing until this last week. I had the same question about the breeching so I'm happy to pass on the info.

This first pic is of my 6 year old son leading a 2000lb ox, named Ike, like a giant puppy dog (son weighs about 45lbs)

IMG_2183.jpg

This pic Duke and Dan. They are Red Devons. My son got to ride up on Duke's neck for a while.

IMG_2197.jpg

These are the first oxen I've ever met. You drive oxen with voice commands. "Come up"= start moving, "Gee" = right, "Haw" = Left, "Whoa". So from the hitching rail if you wanted them to start moving you'd say "Duke, Dan! Come up Haw (or Gee) to get them moving and turning away from the rail. It's kind of an amazing thing to see 4000lbs of beef move because of one or two words.

I also didn't realize that a good team of oxen drops their heads to push into the big beam of the yoke with their neck and shoulder muscles. They tip that yoke forward and push against it. I thought that was really cool.

I would not want to lock horns with those guys!

Thank you for posting the pictures. Your son is much braver than I would ever be!

I have heard Gee and Haw before but always get them mixed up and never know which is left or right. The same with port and starboard, too. Can't keep them straight.

The oxen are handsome, the black and white one especially. Are they your dads?

Horned breeds are preferred if you are using a traditional neck yoke so the yoke doesn't slide off. You can use head yokes and a few other style riggings but the neck yoke is the most simple, straightforward, and easy to use.

The balls are kept on the tips to prevent any accidents to the other oxen. And when you are working with them you just have to keep your whits about you because if he turns his head you might get knocked pretty good with a horn. They aren't aggressive with them but they aren't really careful with them.

They are not my dad's oxen. They are owned by the historical town of Nauvoo, IL. Dad is just driving them for tourists. However, I feel that he and I are going to need to train a pair when he gets back. They are just too cool.

Reminds of reading Ingall's Farmer Boy, how Almanzo trained his little oxen.

I am still doing circles with Rowdy. I felt like he was a little better yesterday.

I took Dapper Dan to the Halloween event on Saturday for petting. I had planned to take Rowdy, so he could have the exposure, but decided to take DD instead, as I was not in the mood for a training session. Dont' know if it was the bath, the wind, the stuff I made him wear, or general cussedness, but he was not a pleasant companion. He had his ears back the whole time, wouldn't do his tricks, and wouldn't let the children lead him. Then I got trapped in the parking lots with my trailer and had to have help getting out and had to drive home in the dark. I was a basket case. The only time he was nice was when he visited two old folks sitting in their car. He put his head in the window and rested his chin on her arm. She petted him and he was very sweet. He seems to like old folks. I guess I am not old enough yet...

One thing that happened that took me by surprise and gave me a scare, was a silly mother encouraging her young child to stick her face on Dapper Dan's nose for a kiss. Sheesh! My great niece has a scar on her cheek from being bitten by a horse as a child. Luckily, Dapper Dan just stood there, but as ornery as he was feeling that night it was pretty scary for me. People are scared to death to walk BEHIND a horse, but will stick their fingers and faces up to a horse's mouth. And I have frequently found that if I try to educate parents about the proper approach to strange animals, they get bent out of shape and mad. I think they are used to stuffed animal toys, or cartoon animals; they have no clue about real animals.

That was my last petting foray for a long time. Used to enjoy it, but not any more--too stressful.

I think people have changed over the years. I used to let people pat my guys and maybe give them a treat back in the day,but Like you, I have found that recently any education concerning the animals is met with defensiveness. I used to try and take a positive attitude at the shows when parents would come up and ask if their child could pat and I would explain to them how to "pat nicely" and "watch fingers" but after being snarked at and even having one kid take a "running jump" to try an hop on the pony, I just tell them "No, they can't pat the pony". My large pony is a sweetie pie and loves the attention, but I don't trust people. It's sad but better safe than sorry.

Unfortunately I'm labled a "meanie" no matter which stand I take.

I'm sorry that the Halloween outing stressful. Do you take DapperDan to elderly places like retirement homes? I think I read somwhere that you did. That's usually can be a fun day.

I know this isn't about driving, I'm sorry!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think people have changed over the years. I used to let people pat my guys and maybe give them a treat back in the day,but Like you, I have found that recently any education concerning the animals is met with defensiveness. I used to try and take a positive attitude at the shows when parents would come up and ask if their child could pat and I would explain to them how to "pat nicely" and "watch fingers" but after being snarked at and even having one kid take a "running jump" to try an hop on the pony, I just tell them "No, they can't pat the pony". My large pony is a sweetie pie and loves the attention, but I don't trust people. It's sad but better safe than sorry.

Unfortunately I'm labled a "meanie" no matter which stand I take.

I'm sorry that the Halloween outing stressful. Do you take DapperDan to elderly places like retirement homes? I think I read somwhere that you did. That's usually can be a fun day.

I know this isn't about driving, I'm sorry!
I have never left my horses unattended at child events. Some people put their horses in a pen and go off. I don't trust children. They are too hyper and too ignorant and improperly supervised. A class of 25 children coming through a Fair and they are so excited! I wasn't so much worrying about my animal hurting them, as them hurting my horse. I love sharing my horses with them, but I guess I'm getting too cranky.

I have a parade on Dec 11th. Night parade, so I need to check out my lights.

Parade season is over for us around here.

Sounds like a rough day with Dapper Dan. When it gets windy around here it seems to put all of the horses in a mood. I too amazed at the things parents encourage their kids to do around horses. Blows. My. Mind.

Wish I could have driven yesterday and today. Perfect fall weather. Not a cloud in the sky or a breath of wind. Just a crisp day with plenty of sunshine to warm your face. Hoping tomorrow will be more of the same since I have the day off. I haven't driven the sulky with the new comfyfit breast collar and custom shorter traces.

What a pretty team you have! Who is the maker of your wagonette?

Stupid stomach flu keeping me from driving this weekend.....
default_crybaby.gif

Took Dapper Dan out yesterday instead of Rowdy. So nice to go for a drive and not have to think "train" all the time. I saw a nice clump of brown eye susans growing in the ditch and plan to go back in the winter and get part of the clump for my yard. One sees a lot more at the gentle pace of a miniature horse than at the speed of a car. Also noticed a sulky or jog cart in the shed of my neighbor--something new! I will have to investigate that!

Latest posts

Back