Xrays and update on Belle

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferin

Reaction score
I had posted a while back about our mare, Belle, and the wierd sores that she had developed on her withers. For those that never saw the first post or dont remember...

In May we went out one morning and found a huge lump on Belle's withers...it had pretty much appeared over night. We had our vet out that day to examine the lump. He found no marks where she had hurt herself or been bitten. He gave her an anti-inflammatory shot and had us soak it with Epsom salts and put Ickthomol on it twice a day. We did that for about a month until the one big lump turned into 3 good size lumps that erupted. Our vet came again to take cultures and draw blood. The blood test was negative for Brucella and the culture came back showing Pasteurella Haemolytica. It is a bacteria that is found in a cow's respitory system...it's typically found when cows have pneumonia. It is very rarely seen in horses. Well the vet put her on antibiotics and we were supposed to continue cleaning the area. Off and on the sores would get better and a new one would pop up and open. He kept her on the antibiotics for quite a while longer.

The sores when they first opened up in June...

PICT0005-2.jpg

Well at the beginning of October she was looking great. Her sores had almost completely healed and we thought we were well on the way to a complete recovery. That didnt last too long...a new soar ended up popping up and opening. That's when we decided to get a 2nd vet out. What the 1st vet was doing did not seem to be healing the sores completely and we needed another opinion.

Our new vet came out and took a culture and put Belle on a very strong antibiotic that kills bacteria in the bones. He wanted to make sure something was fighting the bacteria in case it had gotten into the bones. His culture results came back something totally different then the 1st vet's results...Streptococcus Discopatia. It is a bacteria that is found in cow's udders when they have mastitis. Our vet has never heard of it showing up in horses. The clinic where this vet works had just purchased a new digital xray machine and it was to get here in a couple of weeks. Well it arrived a few days ago and he came out to xray Belle's withers this morning.

He found what he thought was a couple of bones (circled in blue) that are deteriorating from the infection, one bone (circled in red) that is starting to deteriorate, and the rest are normal bones (circled in yellow). He told us that the antibiotics are pretty much just keeping the infection at bay...they really arent healing it. Pretty much the only thing we could do was take her to the state vet school and have her debrided. That is where they go in and dig out all of the infected area. It isnt guaranteed to cure it and she may end up being deformed from it.

Well, now for a little bit of good news. After looking at some of his books our vet called tonight and said that the bones may not be as bad as he was thinking at first. The pictures in his books didnt look too much different then the xrays but he couldnt tell for sure because of the big difference in how the xrays were taken. He is going to talk with some vets at the vet school and see what they think we should do from here.

So right now we're pretty much at a waiting stage. She's still on the antiobiotics so the infection doesnt get any worse. Im praying that she doesnt have to have the surgery. We've already spent thousands on her and the surgery will cost thousands on top of that.

Please send your thoughts and prayers for Belle. Ill keep you guys updated when we hear something.

BelleBones2.jpg

Aw, the poor girl, and poor YOU. I know you are trying to hard to help her. I hope that she turns the corner soon, and heals fully.

Thank you for sharing what you found. I hope this is the only time we all ever see it. It seems miserable in more ways than one.

Liz

default_no.gif
Oh that poor mare, those are gross and poor you with all the vet bills. Sending prayers and good thoughts that your mare will recover fully.

Yvonne

Oh my gosh! I have heard of fistulus withers, but don't remember the cause. Is this what it is?

I hope the vets can figure out how to cure this and that the cure is simple and easy! She and you have been through enough!

Charlotte

Yes I remember it well. I tell you Ferin I've seen a lot but never anything remotely like this.

And how on earth could a cow problem errupt itself into a horse is beyond me. It surely boggles the mind. Poor little thing I surely hope there is no debriding and they can get to the bottom of this evil thing.

Thanks for the kind words and prayers! They really mean alot!

Oh my gosh! I have heard of fistulus withers, but don't remember the cause. Is this what it is?
I hope the vets can figure out how to cure this and that the cure is simple and easy! She and you have been through enough!

Charlotte
I kept thinking fistulus withers also...from the pics Ive seen it looks quite a bit the same. But both vets have said from the start that it isnt fistulus withers. So I guess that's been ruled out.
default_wacko.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh your poor mare! I do remember when this first came up and thanks for the update. I think it is so important to have this information available to others on the forum in case they face the same issue at some point in time.

Sending big HUGS your way, and healing thoughts and prayers to your poor girl! I just can't imagine how uncomfortable she must be!
default_no.gif

Prayers coming your way. I do hope the vet returns with some answers. {{{HUGS}}} to both of you

Oh your poor mare! I do remember when this first came up and thanks for the update. I think it is so important to have this information available to others on the forum in case they face the same issue at some point in time.
Sending big HUGS your way, and healing thoughts and prayers to your poor girl! I just can't imagine how uncomfortable she must be!
Thanks!

I guess I should have mentioned this in my first post. The sores now are nothing like the ones in that first pic. She now only has two smaller areas that are draining. She doesnt seem to be uncomfortable from them...she's still very playful and loves to run. She seems to be enjoying herself.

Thanks for the update. I remember when you first posted this. I'm glad to hear the sores are much better than the original photos. I always learn something new on here.

Sending prayers and healing thoughts to you and Belle. I sure hope she doesn't need surgery.

Oh no, I feel so bad for everything that BOTH of you have been going through. I sure hope she will make a full recovery. Sending prayers and lots of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
OMGosh! I remember when you first posted and I'd actually been thinking about her. I'm glad to hear she seems to feel OK and that she's not in pain, but geez this is just horrible! I'm so sorry for Belle and for you.
default_no.gif
Prayers for you both.

Ouch! That poor mare, she has been through so much. I'm glad she is starting to heal. I'm glad you decided to get a second opinion.

I appreciate all the well wishes for Belle! Ill definately keep you informed when we hear more.

Ouch, The only thing I have ever seen like that is Sarcoids. I am sure your vet has ruled them out. I don't know much about them. But here is a website on them just in case.

http://pcwww.liv.ac.uk/sarcoid/facts.htm
Hmmm....I have never heard of Sarcoids before. After taking a look at the link you provided I am definately going to mention that to my vet and see what he thinks. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Back