What are "Model" classes for???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=14pt]The ones that look picture perfect standing still. The ideal horse but without moving them.[/SIZE]

Lyn

So when you show for that class you just stand them up and don't walk or trot like a halter class?

I show and still dont get this class to be honest. I have seen many a horse do well in Model and then go on and get the gate over and over in Open Halter..

[SIZE=14pt]Yes they just stand there and are judged still.[/SIZE]

Lyn

model class is judged ONLY on conformation. Not way of going, etc like a halter class. I know a lot of people that wont enter model because as lisa pointed out a lot of model winners get the gate in halter. It is odd?

The class is for hores that are pretty much perfect. It is judged only on conformation and what a true miniature horse should look like. All you do is go out there and set them up. To be honest i didn't completely understand the class until a month ago when i showed my gelding in the class. My gelding is actually is the 2005 Reserve National Champion Model Gelding. His name is Rocking JM 3T Bruce Almighty. He is a true example of what a miniature horse should look like. Aubrey

efb8e342.jpg

efb8e0ac.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The "reasoning" behind the model classes as I understand it... is so that you can see what "type" the judge is picking... you can see how the judge prefers the horse set up... and gives the judge an overall view and "refresher" in their mind's eye of what they are going to be seeing in the halter classes.

Model classes SHOULD always be the first class before all the other divisions. The reason babies (yearling and under) are not in model is because they are still growing and who knows how they will turn out...

Some horses do not hold up in the open halter classes while doing well in model because they may not move as nice but can be set up nicely. A good handler can set up a horse to hide faults, and some movement faults such as tracking can only be seen while moving.

But according to the ASPC rulebook:

"Model class must be the first stallion and mare in hand class held at any show. These classes are to be judged soley on conformation and are designed to set a 'pattern' or 'standard' fore the entries to follow in all other classes of the show..."

So you see, because driving and halter and everything should be based a little bit on type and conformation, the model class allows the judge to make it known what they consider to be the ideal.

I hope that all makes sense...

Andrea

The "reasoning" behind the model classes as I understand it... is so that you can see what "type" the judge is picking... you can see how the judge prefers the horse set up... and gives the judge an overall view and "refresher" in their mind's eye of what they are going to be seeing in the halter classes.

Model classes SHOULD always be the first class before all the other divisions. Andrea
NOw that actually makes sense to me and I can see that. As far as movement I have seen many a judge who dont care or really watch at all how a horse moves or tracks

I have seen horses win halter who twist at the hocks or whose stifle pops (granted some are still very nice horses halter wise)

I would have to say I think the above reasoning is pretty logical
default_yes.gif
:

So pretty much it's the same as halter, except in halter the judges also watch how the horse walks, trots, and sets up - while in model they don't judge until a horse is set "still" ??? So can you just enter your mare/stallion/gelding in the class or do there have to be pre-requisits?

Latest posts

Back