Well it's all over...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbyhorse23

Reaction score
Ya'll know what Kody and I have been going through the last three years with his locking stifles and especially since his ligament splitting surgery last fall. You've sympathized and been there for me as I agonized over what to do and when to do it. This last week I felt I absolutely had to make a decision one way or the other if there was to be any hope of a show season for us and right up until the last minute I kept both roads open, unable to decide which way to jump. Have you ever wished you had a crystal ball? I sure did!!
default_wacko.png

I called every local vet I could find and they either didn't do the procedure, wanted $1,000 for it and 90 days in a stall afterwards with no hand-walking, or I wasn't comfortable with them over the phone. Finally things began to fall into place with the help of some dear friends and I found my mind made up.

Yesterday at 11AM Kody got his medial patellar ligaments cut in a small vet hospital in Centralia on our way home from Happ's. As you guys had told me it took only moments and was very simple, the longest part of the whole thing was waiting for him to wake up enough to handle a two hour trailer ride home. He wasn't locking at all during the pre-exam (of course!) so there was no immediate difference apparent but he seemed happy enough as he came out of the sedative and began to tow me purposefully around the parking lot at a decent walk. He handled the ride home well, pawing authoritatively to be let out of the trailer, and was happy to greet Spyder but as soon as I got him tucked away in a stall he promptly laid down and politely refused to move for awhile. I can't blame him!

He was very ouchy by the time I went back out to give him his dinner and laid down every few minutes to take the weight off his feet but once the bute took effect he seemed better. He had a very good appetite and was quite happy to eat a medicated beet pulp mash as long as I was willing to sit down next to him and hold the bucket! He's not spoiled, not one little bit....
default_rolleyes.gif
default_wub.png
Gotta love him.

The most important thing is that he's not locking anymore. It hit me hard the first time I put my hand on the top of his hip and there was absolutely nothing when he hesitantly moved. No little click, pop, snap, kick, drag, give or buckle...no nothing that's been a part of him with every stalled step he's taken for as long as I've known him. He just...moved his leg. God. I thought my heart was going to overflow as I fought back tears for a moment and gave him a hug. I've wanted that for him for so very long, to finally have it seems like a miracle.

THANK YOU to my LB family for your advice and support.
default_aktion033.gif
Without your guidance I would not have had the courage to try this surgery which every vet in my area was making sound like a huge deal that would ruin my horse. I would not have known it could be done standing up under local anesthesia and I would not have known to shop around for a reasonable price. This decision will likely cost me the first few events of the year (all of them major, sadly) but I think in the long run will be a blessing and give Kody the life he's deserved all along.

Oh, and my total? $269.55, including the antibiotic shot I asked for and some Banamine.
default_thumbup.gif
That's about what it costs to geld around here.

Leia

I am really happy for you and your boy!! Sounds wonderful. I hope he continues to improve but I don't see how he can't with how much you obviously love him!! All the best!
default_aktion033.gif

Oh Leia! I am SOOOO happy to hear it! What wonderful news! And I am thinking he may surprise you with his recovery! You have removed the obstacles to him being able to fully enjoy his life and fulfill his purpose. I have been waiting anxiously to hear the report, and it sounds ALL GOOD! I am proud of you and Kody for taking this big scary step.
default_aktion033.gif

I bet we'll see ya by the 4th of July...just bettin'.

Oh, Leia, I have been thinking about you and Kody and I am so happy to hear your news!! Wishing Kody (and you) a speedy recovery!!

Mary

You did right by Kody. BRAVO!

Just wait until Kody figures out he can REALLY MOVE!

My advise HANG ON!

Our prayers are with you and Kody. In the long run you will both be much happer, and a lot less stress. I truly wish I had an extra driving horse to loan you for the summer but ours just aren't far enough along for what you do. Wish we could be more help but our thoughts are with Kody and getting him properly healed.

Oh Leia, you do not know how excited and relieved I am for you and Kody! I knew something would work out sooner or later-- and it looks as if it has happened! CONGRATS!!

default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

[SIZE=36pt]YES!! YES!! YES!![/SIZE]

I'm SO happy for you and your baby! Go Kody GO!

That's great! Been there and I know it's a hard decision to make, especially with one who means so much to you - look forward to hearing about his career back on track in the near future.
default_aktion033.gif
BTW, sounds like you got a heck of a deal dollarwise too.

Jan

What WONDERFUL news, Leia! I'm SO happy for Kody!
default_wub.png

Kari

Thats wonderful news for Kody he can be a normal lil guy, And wonderful for both of you as far as the upcoming show season, Bets of luck to you both,

Let me add my congratulations for successful surgery for Kody. I was talking with my farrier (of 30 years) about it and he said he's never seen a horse helped by it. I had pretty well made up my mind to look into having it done but have to admit his comment gave me pause. So....I'm especially happy (and even more undecided) to hear your great news.

ok so is this the one with the little slits or the actual cutting?

Back