Welcome back hummingbirds!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Valley

Reaction score
He was buzzing around looking at the nail where the feeder is supposed to be hanging, so I fixed up some nectar for him and hung the feeder. Now I've seen three different ones. The little green man, one with a black head, and a little female.

I find it absolutely amazing that these little bitty things can fly all the way across the Gulf of Mexico and back and still remember where the nail is that the feeder is supposed to be on. It amazes me that they make it at all, really, with the storms in the gulf during their migration in the fall. I know this one had to have been here last year, but I wonder if he's the same little guy that ruled the roost. During the busiest times I had probably thirty of them buzzing two feeders. I guess I'll hang three this year.

Also had another blessing. I looked out the back door a day or so ago in the afternoon and saw three Canada geese sitting on the pond levee. That was nice. They are beautiful birds. This is the first time I've ever noticed Canada geese on this pond, and I hope they come back sometime.

Just thought I'd share. It's good to be so easily pleased.

Hope everyone enjoys something beautiful today!
default_smile.png

Stacye

"Welcome back, hummingbirds..."--yes, and swallows, king birds, meadowlarks, thrashers, killdeer, and rock doves! Stacye, you make a very good point-and there's surely nothing wrong about finding joy in these simple things! I LOVE it when the(above)birds show up(and of course, there are others), even the swallows, who make my live a challenge yearly by nesting all OVER inside of my big barn(sheets over EVERYTHING!)-still, life wouldn't be the same without them...I haven't seen any hummers yet(am 'way further north than you, so it likely takes them longer to get HERE),but need to get out the feeder and be ready. The rock doves first showed up last year- they are gorgeous, pearl grey birds with a distinctive voice-last year I began seeing about 8-10; this year so far, only a pair(maybe they will be raising some more!)-- we have always had some mourning doves(though when I first moved out here, they were still being hunted, right in my neighborhood, and for years, were seldom seen)- in recent years, I see them more often, thankfully.

Thanks for sharing!

Margo

Just thought I'd share. It's good to be so easily pleased.

Hope everyone enjoys something beautiful today!
default_smile.png

Stacye
default_thumbup.gif
:

Isn't it true, how the simplest things in life bring the greatest pleasures?
default_wub.png
:

I love watching the lovely birds/geese come back too, it will be a while before we get ours though, still a few weeks, but I am all prepared with Hummingbird and Oriole feed/feeders!
default_wink.png
:

Nancy
default_smile.png

You are so lucky to have such a variety of hummingbirds! I love those little guys!

We only have one type -- the Rufous (sp?) -- but when they finally show up it's a major highlight of the season.

MA

We get only the Ruby Throated Hummers here. It's still a bit early for them here, but soon.

Yes, it is amazing how they know right where to come back to. We have a couple hummer feeders, but one is right out my front window. There is a wire that we hang it from. When they come back, they do the same thing as yours and fly all around looking at the wire waiting for the feeder to appear. They are such cute little things!!

Well I've had my feeder hanging for about 2 weeks...so I think I'm jumping the gun yet? I've been waiting and waiting....of course this is the first year I'm feeding them so I have alot to learn yet. I have to agree...it's very exciting seeing the hummingbirds flitting around looking for nectar! I enjoy them as well as the little dragon flies hanging around the pond.

They will come. Just wait! And next year there will be even more. You may have to put out more feeders because they'll get so crowded and you'll be replacing nectar constantly!

Stacye

I 'think' that I have the same ones each year. Will wait untill this one male shows up, he comes to my window and lets me know he is here LOL then I go hang his feeder They are SO cute and you're right, its nice to be so easily pleased
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back