Warning about cob webs, fall leaves,,,,,

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
Had let all the horses out into the pasture and was doing cleaning both inside and out.

I smelled the most fowl smelling smoke, it burnt my nose. But I couldn't see it. I looked inside and out and couldn't find it. The wind was pretty gusty today so I thought maybe coming from the house. Went and checked the house and nothing, the smell was much weaker there so went back to the barn. Not too bad on the boys side, could smell a little so went to the girls side. There was now black smoke coming out of the back side of their light, on a wooden wall. So run to the middle section, (storage) and disconnect the power to the girls side of the barn. Went back in and grabbed a water bucket and threw it up against the light. Small surface fire on the wood. Went back out and got the hose and sprayed the entire area down good.

From what I can tell,,,,,,the heat from the light over heated the cob webs, there were leaves in the cob webs, the leaves caught fire and fell onto the wiring for the light. The fowl smell was the coating of the wiring burning.

We took all the wiring and light completely out. Waited for about 2 hours to bring up the horses. Checked and checked again to make sure it had cooled down. Then I went back and checked again. Since I brought the horses up I have been out once an hour checking again.

The lights are only on if someone is out there, as in me. I consider myself very fortunate as who knows what may have happened. I do clean my cob webs,,,,obviously not often enough. I knew the leaves were there, would have taken me what, 10 seconds to get them down when I saw them the first time?? From now on, one leaf in the barn,,,,,,it's gone,,,,,,,,and if I can see a cob web with the naked eye,,,,,it comes down then!!!!

Wanted to add: This is a regular light socket with a 60 W bulb.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW, how scary :no: So glad you were right there... I don't have lights in my barn, but I'm still on top of the cob webs.. Very greatful no one got hurt..

Thank God you were on top of this or it could have been alot worse.

This is a reminder to us all to get out there and clean our barns and get those nasty cobwebs down.
default_yes.gif
:

As I did not see it unfold myself, I can't say 100% the cob webs caught fire first. I do know no leaves were up against the light, only in the cob web. As that is all I have thought of since, a small part of me thought it may have been the wiring for the light,,,,,,,but, that light and wiring was just put in that section of the barn last Oct. Checked the wiring when we ripped it out, and besides the melted part from the burn, does not appear to have had any other damage.

Pretty much may have just been the combination of things I had sitting there.

So today will be checking the fuse box and making a decision what kind of lighting to put back in the barn.

I have gone to the little florescent bulbs very low in wattage..they do take longer to light up when it is cold but I do feel safer..My barn cams do however need a regular incandescent light bulb to function efficiently. Cobwebs are my biggest pet peeve and the one chore I hate with a passion..This time of year the spiders are fast and furious with building these nuisances. I would love a cure for them..any ideas other than a shop vac, broom with t-shirt..etc..But thank you Carolyn for the heads up as I have put off the chore too long and know I must have leaves in some of mine. Thank goodness you were at home. :lol:

Judy, I just wanted to let you know I use one of the old fashion cotton mops. With the braided cotton thingies hanging down. It seems to catch hold of the cob webs better than anything I have used and I only have to go over it once. None falling down on me. Rinses easy with a hose.

Carolyn, was there any kind of cover on the lightbulb? If not, a good safety precaution is to buy a "globe" type light cover so that there aren't any exposed lightbulbs. It's a precaution against heat-related fires, and also broken lightbulbs in case water of some type were to splash on it.

My aisleway lights are florescent, but I will need some lights in individual stalls as well, and all of those will be covered with a lighting fixture. Say "NO" to naked light bulbs!
default_yes.gif
:

Cheers Carolyn for posting this. You might just have saved someone from a barn fire.

I've had two barn fires in the past long ago that were caught immediately; no losses thank heavens and both were started from spontaneous combustion..........1. Hay 2. Shavings.

I did my cobwebs last weekend during a bust of energy and dusted the entire barn. Most of the cobwebs are right back so this time of year, it's going to be a weekly chore now.

Another tip would be not to store hay in your barn. I don't believe in doing that even though I have a full loft, there is no hay in it. My hay is stored in a shed away from the main barn. I just keep one bail at a time on a little utility trailer for daily use and that trailer is outside the main barn.

Don't keep anything plugged in unless you have to. When I go to town for any length of time, I usually shut the main power off at the main power box located in the tack room.

I just finished cleaning my barn this morning and while doing it I thought about posting a warning about fire hazards. I use a shop vac to get the dust and cobwebs in my barn. I use the blower side. Just stand at back of barn and blow ceilings(mine are 10') walls and floors. It does a great job even on the screens. Remember to do your outlets,radios, smoke detectors and panel box. Dust in any electrical device can over heat and cause a fire. Don't forget to change your batteries in your smoke detector too. I put my horses outside of course but they line up to get dusted too. I tried vaccuming them with it but find it works better if you stand behind them and blow against their winter woolies(after they are trained to accept it of course). It blows all the dirt out of the coat,you'd think they had a bath, and my crew loves it. :aktion033:

Thank goodness you caught it when you did, glad everything and everybody is fine.

In two of my stalls I have the rope lights, I don't think it gets very hot. It doesn't put off a lot of light, like if I had to tend an injury or something in one of the stalls I wouldn't be able to see well enough. But it is enough light to do my chores in and it's pretty cozy in there too.

Leslie

We just had electricity brought to our barn earlier this year and the electrician had to put in special lights with a full cover (not just the bars) over the bulb itself. He said it would not pass inspection otherwise for fear of fires from just the things you mentioned. He put one over each stall and they are bright and worked well during foaling season. Sure glad all turned out well for you Frankie and you have given us all a reminder about barn cleanliness.
default_yes.gif
:

This is not meant to criticize, just to inform.

Although switching off power to an electrical fire is a good thing to do, electrical fires should not be put out with water since they can cause electrocution.

Everyone should have a good working fire extinguisher at the door(s) to their barn.

~Julie~

Latest posts

Back