Wanting to know.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tucker

Reaction score
Ok I got my yearling gelded all went well, when he was gelding him he said one felt very small he got it out ok other was norm.My question is has anyone had one gelded with one testicles very small other norm. first time for me .

I don't think that's too uncommon. Maybe others with more experience can chime in. I guess if one was the size of a lemon and the other was the size of a peanut, that might mean something unusual. But a difference, especially in one as young as a yearling doesn't surprise me. Just my 2 cents. Nathan will probably know if he see's this post.

It depends on when they dropped, relative to one another. One is larger than the other, normally....maybe always.
default_rolleyes.gif
But when a youngster drops one, then may not drop the other for a couple months (as many miniatures do), the 2nd will be smaller and increase after down.

If the colt had been slow to drop -- some chance it was behind the ring and had to be pulled down? Just a thought. No matter the size, it's the number that counts
default_laugh.png

When I had my second stallion gelded as I had bred him several times without success, the vet was amazed at the difference in testicle size. One was less than half the size of the other. He felt that was probably why he had trouble settling mares, and probably also why a sperm count showed low motility and more than your average number of 'odd' sperm. This was definitely one stallion that needed to be gelded. He's a lovely little boys pet now, and I couldn't be happier with the new home I found for him.

I have had a few gelded, and Yes, one testicle is usually bigger than the other. I have been told, the larger the testicles, the more fertile the horse. I think every horse is different. In one two year old boy, one testicle was extremely large and the other extremely small, but the surgery went well. As someone previously posted, as long as they have two, nothing to worry about.!!

Latest posts

Back