Vet came out to check mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
I posted earlier. My mare had the runs and started to act depressed. I called the vet. Gave her fluids. Her temp was 101 and heart rate was96. After he gave her fluids her heart rate was 66. I hope she is ok. My turn for prayers. He really didnt know what caused this. He didnt think it was colic. We didnt change her food. We are playing it by ear.

PS he shaved her and we noticed spots!! She has apping to her!!! I just posted about that and look what happens, spots before my eyes.

prayers being said! hope your mare is ok. they sure have a way of making us worry.

We had a couple of bad thunderstorms here lately with winds over 60mph and it left tons of leaves everywhere.. my little vacums sucked them up and 2 of them ended up with the runs and some tummy aches both are ok now though hopefully it will be something that simple for your horse

I hope she's feeling better soon!!!
default_yes.gif
:

Oh zoey, I hope she is ok!?

I hope she feels better really soon, I will say a prayer for her, poor baby!

OOH! Spots! Love em!!!!!

If you need anything, give me a call!

Robin

Thank you so much. I am lucky my husband is off allwk. So I am glad about that. I will keep you posted.

PS thansk Robin

My prayers too for your girl to get better fast, and stay well. We too, had a couple of

colic's over the weekend. Both are fine now. I also saw we had a full moon, I heard

for some reason, it can cause lots of colic's.. to cut back on feed. I fed only hay this

time.. still got 2 colic's. But they were fine with Banamine, and walking and emma..

I did stay up all night to watch both.. So praying your mare will be fine too.

Vicky

Oh I to love the spots, so once she is better hope you will get some pictures to share

with us.

The vet said he wanted to get it all out of her. He gave her fluids and banamine. She still has not passed naything yet as of 5:00 am. she did not eat her grain. Should I still try the pepto bismal?

Did she have the runs and then stop eating and then did not pass manure? Maybe she has no food in her system to pass. If it were me I'd get some kaolin at Tractor supply co give her 35 cc every 2 hours until she starts eating again. Don't let her go more than 5 hrs without eating or drinking if you have to get some complete pellets make a mush and use a empty banamine tube (make the hole bigger with a hot nail) and force feed her. Wait until she starts pooping again and if its still runny give her the double strength pepto bismal 35cc twice a day. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

She is eating grass but has not passed anything.

Can you keep her seperate in a grassy area to be sure that you know that she passes manure?

If she isn't eating yet, I would give her a couple of ounces of Karo or molasses or maple syrupevry couple of hours to keep her blood sugars up.

What did the vet say about feeding her? And about the diarrhea?

She is eating and she is separated. However, she did go and it is harding up. So I think I am on the way to recover. Everythng was fine with her expect her waste.

Back