Very sad day at our farm today.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif
My mare aborted a filly this morning. Our hearts were broken. This would have been this mare's first filly. She is 9 yrs old. She has had 3 studs. We were looking forward to this foal. This foal was by our cremello pinto stud.We think the filly could maybe been a double dilute foal. We only had two mares bred to him this year. My girls when they found out this afternoon. I am going to NEED alot of tissue paper for all of us. our vet came out to check our mare. The vet gave her a few shots. The vet pull bloodwork from the mare to check to make she is okay. The vet also took the aborted filly to check her out. We don't know what cause this mare to abort.This mare has never had a problem. This is our second abort foal this year. Our first one was 10/02/07 by our maiden mare. This mare was in a different pasture. Thismare was in a pasture with other mares.I was told by someone that she might have gotten kick by other mare.We had the our pasture, hay, feed check no problems there.The vet says the foal looks healthy. Any ideals?The only thing different was a few days ago our mare starts standing like she was doing a slit or something with our back legs. She act fine until this morning.

thanks

please pray our mares does well.

DSC03475.jpg

DSC03477.jpg

DSC03482.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

We give yearly shots. We give 5, 7, 9 mos shots, but this mare didn't have that. The previous owners didn't do 5, 7, 9 shots. We also give shots 30 days before foaling. She hasn't had any shots since she was bred.some people believe in the 5, 7, 9 mos and others don't.The vet gave the 5, 7, 9 shots to our others mares that were due that were 5, 7, 9 mos along. We as owners never know if giving all these shots are the best thing for our horses. We do what we think is best per our vets.

Hello,

We give yearly shots. We give 5, 7, 9 mos shots, but this mare didn't have that. The previous owners didn't do 5, 7, 9 shots. We also give shots 30 days before foaling. She hasn't had any shots since she was bred.some people believe in the 5, 7, 9 mos and others don't.The vet gave the 5, 7, 9 shots to our others mares that were due that were 5, 7, 9 mos along. We as owners never know if giving all these shots are the best thing for our horses. We do what we think is best per our vets.
Ok, Again, I am very sorry
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
default_sad.png

[SIZE=14pt]I am so very sorry for your loss....
default_sad.png
[/SIZE]

So sorry to hear about loosing your filly..
default_no.gif
Sending healing prayers for you, your family and your mare.
default_pray.gif
Don't have any helping ideas, as I do not breed, wish I did. Give her a hug from me!!
default_wub.png

Oh man!
default_sad.png
Sooo sorry for your loss! There's been a lot of abortions lately over the past couple weeks, unbelievable and makes me very very nervous with out girls...
default_ohnoes.jpg
Your family and mare are in my thoughts and prayers..

Oh man!
default_sad.png
Sooo sorry for your loss! There's been a lot of abortions lately over the past couple weeks, unbelievable and makes me very very nervous with out girls...
default_ohnoes.jpg
Your family and mare are in my thoughts and prayers..
I am also very nervous with the other mares who are due in 2008. I don't understand why these mares aborted. We used to raise big horses no problems. This is our third year to raise minis. The first two years were great no problems. I hope the other mares do well. thanks everyone for your sweet words and prayers. I hate for anyone to go throught this. Very sad. I was thinking to my mare girl you only had 4 mos left(poor girl, she is a great mother too).I feel for the mares. We wait 11 mos for healthy foals. These poor mares wait as well. i know she is sad,because she carried this filly for 7 mos, boy we were so close.

This was her first filly foal, she has had nothing but studs.That is my luck.It sinces when it rains it pours.

I ask my vet this morning why does this happen to us when we follow all the rules. We do everything by the book. We make sure our minis are good and healthy. We give them the best of the best on everything. The vet said it happens to the best of us.

Things happen, may never know the "whys" just like we'll never know the "what ifs"... All we can do is try and do our best... (((HUGS))) Will keep your other girls in my thoughts and prayers too, you guys have had enough heartbreak..

(ps. all I get for the pics is red X's)

DSC03475.jpg
7 MOS FETUS FILLY.

DSC03477.jpg

DSC03482.jpg

our 3 mos fetus that was abort in 10/02/07

DSC03128.jpg

We spend hundreds and thousands on our sweet pets to make sure they have a good life. We think of our pets like our children.

hmmm, I still can't see the pictures.. Am I the only one? If not you can email them to me and I'll post them...

I can't see the photos either. I know how you feel though. My mare, Cherokee Stables Ohso Dandy aborted 2 years in a row at 6 months gestation. She has passed that mark now for her 3rd attempt at a foal. They say third time is a charm. I hope so. She is due in March.

All I see is red x's also...........You know 2 years ago I had a mare abort, the filly fetus was perfect, I am sure it was from a kick, as her and another mare I had got into a spat the day before......so sad..... I also had one mare abort that's foal was not developed right, that was easier to understand, because I knew why.......but when they look perfect it makes you wander why. Sometimes we can do everything right, and we still have losses.
default_sad.png
Again, so sorry.

DSC03475.jpg
photos again.

DSC03477.jpg

DSC03482.jpg

Our mare is doing good tonight. We hope she stays on the right path of doing well.

Thanks everyone for your prayers. Please keep praying.

Latest posts

Back