Unbeleivable!!!! Judge says Champ can go back to people who starved him!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just called. The secretary did not sound thrilled in the least to have another call. She told me that Judge Green ruled the way he did because "there was not evidence to issue a warrant". If that's the case then I highly doubt the ruling will change (unless enough people voice their opinions-so CALL/Email/Fax!!). So many people get off the hook from faulty warrants issued, unfortunately. I pray that strength in numbers saves him, its just wrong what that judge is doing.

If Champ does go back and he does die then I think the judge should be at fault and charged with animal cruelty on the same level as the owner. And any donations towards Champ should personally be refunded by the judge.

I will e-mail the news station, and I will also phone the judge's office. Probably it won't do any good, but I will at least let them know that this little horse is known even in Canada.

What on earth do they need for evidence? Isn't a walking rack of bones enough evidence? Especially when the vet report confirms there is no underlying health condition & Champ is eating now that he has something to eat, and he is growing stronger....proof that good feed will do something to improve his body condition.

I pray that the owner won't want the horse back...just because he/she can apply to have the horse returned, can we dare to hope that he/she won't actually bother to do that?

OMG, if this horse was in my care I would EUTHANIZE him before I would hand him back over to the person that starved him to that extent!

I cant beleive the photos are not evidence enough. I though I lived in a backwoods area when it came to animal welfare!

I have sent an email to the TV station. If someone can come up with an email for the judge and the DA will send them one as well.

I think that we need to be very careful about this "rumour" before finding out if it is indeed true. If wrong then we become just another group of fanatics. I think I would avoid passing on the info or including it in any mails or posts to any of the powers that be. JMO
default_wink.png

I would be surprised if the original folks even wanted Champ back. Way to much pressure and way too much exposure. I think they will want to sit very quiet, and hidden from any spot light, for a while.

Emails and calls sent.

I do agree in not spreading things, but it is now being reported in the newspaper, that the owner is an employee of the court house.

If the owner DOES want Champ back.. Would it be possible to get donations together to buy back Champ? I mean that's horrible that it would even have to be considered to do that or that the owner would in a way be "rewarded" for what he did by getting money for Champ. BUT anything to save him, right?

I do agree in not spreading things, but it is now being reported in the newspaper, that the owner is an employee of the court house.
So can that person be "swamped" with education on how to feed and care for a miniature horse? Anyone have good pamphets and website links on proper care? We can send tons of books, emails, booklets, etc. to the courthouse and maybe that can "help" that person figure it out!
doh.gif

What an outrage!!! Unfortunately you all know I am very familiar with the injustice in this world of ours. I'm about to call soon as I compose myself, if I can.

And what a horrible slap in the face to the rescue who saved this little guy after all their hard work and sleepless nights with little Champ. If he was here, you'd bet I'd make him vanish in a New York minute so he'd never go back.

And you are right Heidi, dump that lousy low life owner up here I'd feed him to Dan and his buddies and make short work of him. Dan and I have NO MORE patience left in this world for these people that continue to abuse animals! NONE! I AM FUMING. I never thought I could feel such vile contempt against people who do this. They all need to be brought down once and for all. I encourage everyone reading this to spread it around and call, email and contact the media and TAKE A STAND FOR CHAMP with his rescue.

Calling now.
default_torch.gif
default_torch.gif
default_torch.gif

I have posted this story on my facebook page to get the word out, I hope that was ok! I just find this absolutely heartbreaking
default_no.gif
I will also be making a phone call when I am calmed down enough to 'talk nice'.

I am not sure I have ever been as appauled as I am right now in the legal system. There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for the judge in this case to claim insufficient evidence. And if in deed it is true that this individual works within their court system them this is a clear case of conflict of interest and the hearings would need to be moved to a neighboring jurisdiction for trial.

I am not sure WHY the owner would want poor Champ back, afterall they did not seem to care for him when they had him-so now that he is pretty much a national icon for animal abuse, WHY would they even want that on their shoulders. I am praying that this is just a stunt by the judge to try and get the owner out of any charges, so when people cry out for the horse not to be returned then the "no charges filed" will look like less of a crime in itself. Perhaps they are trying to stir up different emotions so we feel that Champ still wins even if his owner is not prosecuted. Not returning to his owner in fact the ultimate victory for this horse, however less we forget that this owner should be PUNISHED for this as a lesson to anyone who takes the responsibility of animal ownership for granted!!!!

IF and that is a strong IF, because I feel that animal protection on a national level will get involved should this happen, but if they are able to petition and win their "right" to get Champ back, then they should be held accountable for all of the veterinary expenses, feed bills and man hours that have been spent on Champ since in the care of the HEROS who saved him. So basically they should be required to PAY every bill he has occured during his time at the rescue and for the rescue effort in itself (animal control, sheriff office costs, ect) therefore essentially be forced to "BUY" him back. That alone would most likely make Champ too expensive for them-I mean come on they couldnt even afford to feed him in the first place, what makes them think they can afford to rehabilitate him-let alone think they DESERVE to even try? They gave up their "rights" when they allowed him to deteriorate to this level in the first place.

It might be as simple as getting a statement from a veterinarian to save Champ. Around here cases where the horse was seized before vet certified evidence was collected and the horse went back to the original home, same case different story. The rescuers got the horse in decent shape and then were horrified to see the horse go back to the owner. Hopefully somebody can help the pitiful little guy. how sad.

Trying to compose an email to the news station but can you remind me where this is taking place? California? The name of the town?

IF and that is a strong IF, because I feel that animal protection on a national level will get involved should this happen, but if they are able to petition and win their "right" to get Champ back, then they should be held accountable for all of the veterinary expenses, feed bills and man hours that have been spent on Champ since in the care of the HEROS who saved him. So basically they should be required to PAY every bill he has occured during his time at the rescue and for the rescue effort in itself (animal control, sheriff office costs, ect) therefore essentially be forced to "BUY" him back. That alone would most likely make Champ too expensive for them-I mean come on they couldnt even afford to feed him in the first place, what makes them think they can afford to rehabilitate him-let alone think they DESERVE to even try? They gave up their "rights" when they allowed him to deteriorate to this level in the first place.
I think this is a GREAT idea!!! If some one would suggest this to the judge that would be perfect... Even if they want the horse back because they have the attitude of "its my horse, you have no right to take it, I can do what ever I want to it" they wont be willing to pay all the expenses. Vet bills, feed, board, and care (the extra care Champ needed should not be included in a standard board) would be too expensive for them to even consider! I'm a fan of this type of idea of all cases like Champ's.

shorthorsemom, thats what I dont understand...where were the vets,proffesionals etc. during this so called hearing.

Maybe I watch to much Houston Animal Cops but they always have the officers,rescuers,vets,farriers standing right there AND the judge always takes what they present into consideration.Were these people even allowed to talk?

Ive really got to wonder if there was an actual hearing and not just some chit chat at the water cooler.

Are these hearings open to the public...were there minutes taken on the hearing that the public is allowed to read? There is just too many unanswered ??'s.

I think we all need to send this judge a pair of eye glasses. Recieving 1,000s of eye glasses in the mail from around the world might make her open her friggin eyes!

I did phone the judge's office earlier; it took a few tries to get through because the line was busy (thank you Miniature horse owners, I'm sure it was more of you on the line!!) then when it finally rang through, I thought she wasn't going to answer--it rang and rang & rang. But, I just let it ring & finally they picked it up. I just got the standard answer, of course, that there wasn't enough evidence, but I made sure she knew where I was calling from...just so they know how far this news has spread!

I also e-mailed the TV news address.

I've also put the word out around here, so perhaps even more people will be phoning and e-mailing!

My email to the news station:

It has come to my attention that the severely neglected miniature horse named "Champ" is being awarded via Judge Green, back to the individuals who allowed him to fade to a walking skeleton. As a pet owner and lover of animals, I am deeply concerned that such a thing should be ALLOWED to happen and feel that more light needs to be shed on such a sad case. This is a living creature and it should be treated with respect. Surely any good citizen will see this and demand that this little soul be saved instead of condemned as sending him back to these people is signing his death sentence. How ANYONE, let alone a man of the law can look at the pictures of this poor little horse and not see this is beyond me but the community needs to see what is happening here. He needs to stay with the good people of Alaqua Animal Refuge of Freeport FL so that he has a chance at the good life he deserves!

Thank you for your time.

I think we should turn this into an INTERNATIONAL issue ! ! ! As embarrasing as it is to have had this happen on USA soil, it is far more embarrassing as well as despicable to let the poor animal go back to it's abuser's due to a judge's lack of spine -- notice that I did not say "for lack of evidence" -- there is enough "evidence' in the one picture alone that should allow ANY judge in this country to take away custody of this animal as well as any other animal in the custody of these horrible people.

I am going to e-mail every person that I know outside of the USA and ask them to look at this thread and then contact the News agency themselves and with any degree of hope this will turn into a HUGE EMBARRASSING ISSUE for His "Honorable Judge Green" as well as the owners -- and THEN perhaps little Champ will have a chance to reclaim life and be given a home full of love and care that he so deserves.

His eyes still haunt me . . .
default_no.gif
But they show so much HOPE in them as well -

Stacy

Latest posts

Back