To Rescue or Not?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnJay

Reaction score
Okay, first I am not sure if this is the right place to post, but I think the mare in question is more Shetland heritage than Miniature.. Anyway, she was rescued from numerous abusive situations and is waiting for a home. Apparenty this mare was going to be used in a pony ride string and after her condition was discovered they dumped her too,and the previous owners beat her..She was diagnosed with a systolic heart murmur and per the current (rescuer), "passes out" when scared. She is about 7 years of age and the vet found nothing else wrong with her other than the murmur. My questions are, is the passing out due to the heart murmur? Or is she just terrified of being beat again? I am assuming it is somehow related but the owner says its when she is very scared, her eyes roll back and she just falls over. For this reason she couldnt be safely used in driving or light riding, but she still needs a good home and I'm a sucker for negleted animals (arent we all:) Our foster children love grooming and fussing with the horses and I want to make sure they stay safe, I couldnt have a pony pass out on them! I'm wondering if I am asking for heartache, could a horse with this condition live a long productive life? Any related long term medical costs or issues? Any opinions on this condition would be greatly appreciated, what you would do, etc etc. I plan on seeing her this weekend sometime..

I would speak to your vet and ask him the questions that you posted on the forum. If possible have your vet take a look at the mare and give his or her opinion. I always like to give a horse a chance at a better life if possible.

sounds like she has narcolepsy. if it is narcolepsy they do live long healthy lives for the most part. Stress can bring it on so you have to try to avoid stressful situations and be on alert for her going down.

Bringing a rescue home can be one of the most rewarding experiences in your horse life but it can be heartbreaking too. But imo no risk no reward
default_smile.png

That is interesting, narcolepsy... I wonder.. Anyway, I am going to visit her this morning, and then will put a call in to the vet to see what he thinks. Anyone else have anything? Please?
default_smile.png

I would ditto Kay's post.........

Please update us on her.

MA

I wish she were closer, I'd take her in a heartbeat. Nothing like the calm hollow, alas I do hope it works out for her, poor darlin, and she is afraid of being hurt.

Latest posts

Back