Tetnus Shots for mares before foaling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sphynx~n~minis

Reaction score
Do those of you expecting foals give Tetnus shots 6 weeks prior to the mare's foaling?

I have a mare that is due and she had her full shots in July 08 and then we found out she

was in foal at the end of Jan and we did a tetnus mid Feb 09. We don't know when she is due,

vet thought first of March but still no foal and no signs yet..... Vet said we should do another tetnus.

Suggestions....... She said she wants the foal to get some of the shot

wouldn't he have gotten some already?

Or do you wait and have the foal done when it is born?

And ........ What shots do you have done when the foal is born..... And When ?

Thanks in advance for your Replies..... Kathy

Mine gets a 4-way (EEE, WEE, Tetanus, Flu) 4-8 weeks prior to foaling. Her 330 day mark is May2nd, so she got hers on March 15th just to be safe. My understanding is that if it's over 8 weeks or under 2 weeks, the foal isn't protected (I believe it takes 2 weeks for the mare to produce antibodies from the time she is vaccinated). I'm not sure why they wouldn't be as protected if it's over 8 weeks. Hmmmm. The foal will have his/her vaccinations at around 5 or 6 mos. (when weaned). If your vet says to do another tetanus, then do it. I don't think it can hurt...

We give an Intervet 5 way (Eastern and Western encep., Flu 1 and 2, and tetanus) at about day 300 of the mare's pregnancy.

It is my understanding that you want the mare to be actively producing the antibodies with the new vaccine on board to give the best bang for your buck. But all the vaccines are important unless you are going to start giving the foal flu shots earlier than usual.

IMHO I think you will be O.K. as log as she does not run late. You can check with the vaccine companies veterinarians just to be safe. They will talk with you.

Latest posts

Back