Testing your horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
Hello,

We have a few horses we are going to test at animal genetics,before we breed them.What genetic test for each one to make sure of their colors?

First is our cremello pinto stud.We are thinking to test for LWO what else.

DSC02475-1.jpg

second is our silver bay appy stud.which test of genetics colors and etc?

keepsakeDSC_06401-1.jpg

the first one the only thing you'd need to test for is LWO. you could also test to see if he's hiding Agouti or Silver, but knowing his lineage I doubt it.

The second one, LWO to see if he carries that. Then you could test just to see homozygosity of silver, black, and agouti.

on the cremello pinto which test will let me know if sure if he is a cremello or prelino?

Which test on the second one to let me know he is a silver bay?

You could test the 1st one for creme(correct me if im wrong,please!)

The second one to find out if hes silver bay, test him for silver and agouti?(correct me again)
default_yes.gif

Test the cremello for red factor. If he has even one black gene, he is a perlino, not a cremello. Cremellos are red based, perlinos are black based.

Not knowing your horses' sire/dam and their colors, here are my thoughts:

Cremello - test for LWO (always good to know, especially on obvious pintos and also double cream dilutes) and then, red factor and agouti (I'd go for both, if there is any chance he could be smoky cream (two cream on black) that way you know for sure what he can pass on).

Silver Bay - depends on how much you want to know. LWO if you want to be certain. Red factor, agouti and silver, if you want to know if he's homozygous for Black, Bay or silver gene to know what he'll pass on to his offspring.

the cremello pinto sire is palomino pinto and dam is cremello

the appy stud sire is solid white and dam is black appy

Okay, forgive my stupidity, but I am learning here. What is "agouli"?
Agouti is the gene that restricts black to the mane/tail and points creating the color bay.

If the cremello's sire is palomino and the dam is cremello (do you know she is for a fact?); then your stud can only be cremello. Palomino is red based and cremello is red based; so red based is all you can get from the cross. However, if there is a chance that the cremello dam is actually perlino, then testing your stud would tell you for sure. With this knowledge, then you would probably be fine just testing for Red Factor and LWO.

Okay, forgive my stupidity, but I am learning here. What is "agouli"?
Agouti is the gene that restricts black to the mane/tail and points creating the color bay.

If the cremello's sire is palomino and the dam is cremello (do you know she is for a fact?); then your stud can only be cremello. Palomino is red based and cremello is red based; so red based is all you can get from the cross. However, if there is a chance that the cremello dam is actually perlino, then testing your stud would tell you for sure. With this knowledge, then you would probably be fine just testing for Red Factor and LWO.

THANKS FOR THE AGOULI EXPLANATION!!! THERE IS ALWAYS ROOM FOR KNOWLEDGE AROUND THIS PLACE!!!
default_smile.png
cw

I send off for the cremello pinto test today. We are testing LWO, Creme, Red Factor and Agouti.

Should we have tested the cremello for anything else?

We will test the silver bay appy later.We haven't decide what all to test him for yet.

thanks everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should we test our cremello pinto for Silver & Sabino1 as well?I need to know this week if we are going to test him for that, because we sent the hair off already.

As far as the appy stud.

Please list what all we should test for.

We are thinking of testing the appy stud for

LWO,Silver, Agouti, Red Factor what else?Should we test for creme or Sabino1

We know they are not homozygous for tobiano, because both parents are not tobianos.

thanks

Should we test our cremello pinto for Silver & Sabino1 as well?I need to know this week if we are going to test him for that, because we sent the hair off already.

As far as the appy stud.

Please list what all we should test for.

We are thinking of testing the appy stud for

LWO,Silver, Agouti, Red Factor what else?Should we test for creme or Sabino1

We know they are not homozygous for tobiano, because both parents are not tobianos.

thanks
On the cremello -- I would skip the sabino 1 test, it only tests for one type of sabino, so even if you horse tests negative for sabino 1, he could still have one of the sabino genes. Testing for silver would be up to you, if there is any reason to know if your stallion carries it.

You are already pretty sure the appy is silver, his dam is black, so he isn't homozygous for silver, so I wouldn't waste my money. Being his sire is listed as white, testing for cream would only hurt your pocketbook, but would let you know if cream was in the mix. Skip sabino 1 for same reason as listed above.

Test for LWO to be safe (easier to test a couple stallions than a dozen mares). The rest of the tests would show you if he's homozygous for something, so test for any that you want to know (I'd go with Red Factor and Agouti, just to verify color and know if he's homozygous for black or not).

we don't know for sure if he is silver bay appy. We were told he was silver bay.What what test will test us if he is for sure silver bay?

His sire is a solid white, but I think he has other genetics.His sire has throw alot of silver and pintos.

thanks

we don't know for sure if he is silver bay appy. We were told he was silver bay.What what test will test us if he is for sure silver bay?

His sire is a solid white, but I think he has other genetics.His sire has throw alot of silver and pintos.

thanks
To be certain he is silver bay, then: silver, red factor, and agouti will tell you. LWO just to be safe. Cream if you want to know, since his sire is registered as white.

I don't think you need any other tests for the cremello, although you really didn't need to test for cream. It's obvious he's a double dilute. If the cream test comes back anything other than homozygous, I'll be amazed.

For the appy, I second what chanda said. I highly doubt he's cream, in fact I'm almost certain he's not, so I personally wouldn't test for that. LWO to be safe, but nothing else really needs to be done.

The only thing you'd be doing with his tests is seeing if he is homo-/heterozygous for black, agouti, and silver. That will tell you what colors he can possibly throw.

Let us know when you get the results! I'm anxious to hear them.

I have a bay stallion. His sire is silver buckskin, dam is palomino. For what could I test??

Could he have the creme gene?
He might carry the creme gene.Test him for creme to be sure.

Sorry, I have to disagree; if a bay horse is carrying a creme gene, it will ALWAYS show-- the horse would be a buckskin. There are only a few colors that creme can "hide" in, one is black, but you never need to test a bay for creme.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back