Sweet potatoes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Valley

Reaction score
I did today, and afterwards wondered if I was setting myself up for trouble. I gave them one each. What do you think about letting them have sweet potatoes, uncooked, as treats from time to time?

Stacye

I don't think it will hurt them. I personally don't give my horses "treats" other than their grain or MAYBE horse cookies once in a great while... it isn't healthy for them and is unnecessary. It could lead to colic, and isn't worth it in my book. Best to not take chances.

Andrea

Hi

I don't remember ever giving my colts treats, 3yrs old now. I don't think I would choose sweet potato. They give me lots of gas. I don't know enough about what they can or can not eat but I think the feed company do a lot of research on what is safe for our horses so I tend to lean toward them as to what is good for my minis and of course what the forum members that have many years more than me in the care of minis. Best to check with your vet if possible and some of our great members here. FLFlyingW

l can't remember for sure where l just read this l think it might have been in the one of the mini mags that come out anyway it said that potatoe leaves were very bad for horses and not to give. But it didn't mention the potatoe itself...around here a treat is beer l've been known to pick up a case in summer for the old mares behind the barn..and the colts work extra hard to please if they see a can close by..must be the yeast or something. :bgrin

I also thought I have read somewhere that the potato and I know sweet potato is different but potato is from the nightshade family of plants and is poisonous to horses but dont remember reading about the potato itself or sweet potato. I dont give mine anything except for occasionally an apple slice or carrot piece and of course horse cookies, thats another story. "We have several cookie monsters here. I hope you find the answer.

I have a client who gives her 2 haflingers in EVERY MEAL one of the following: 1 sweet potato, head of green cabbage, acorn squash (with skin) and/or apples and carrots. Every meal/ i almost died the day she said make sure they get thier cababge. HUH?! But she said her vet said it was OK, and good roughage. The horses love it, and don't seem to have any ill effects. I don't kow if I would do it though........I'm thinking not, especially the cabbage, LOL.

Aicia

Latest posts

Back