Suggestions for foaling season

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Lady

Reaction score
As foaling season is starting to be discussed do any experinced breeders have any suggestions of what to have on hand, or what to look for, signs for problems that I should watch for. My very first foal is do in March, it still will be very chilly in Ohio then. I want everything to run smoothly for everyone. I am excited and I am expecting 2 foals this year!! Thank you for extending your knowledge to a newbie!!!

If the mare goes down and is pushing and nothing appears and there has been no water breaking, chances are you have yourself a red bag delivery. Go in and find the red, fleshy sac and break it open. When you do that, the water will come gushing out and you'll find the white amniotic sack. Then it is pretty much a regular delivery with a bit of a time constraint. You want to deliver that foal within 6 minutes or so as his oxygen supply may be compromised from the placenta detaching prematurely. Had two of these type of deliveries this year. Both babies and mommas were fine as i was there to help them.

I brought this over from my old forum, compiled from suggestions our members made.

Lizzie

1. Sharp scissors (disinfected).

2. Towels & Rags...washed in nonscented detergent.

3. Ivermectin for momma.

4. Vet wrap.

5. Baling twine.

6. Iodine for naval.

7. Garbage bag & bucket with lid to "hold" placenta until vet inspects.

8. Flashlight (with fresh batteries ).

9. Thermometer.

10. Stethoscope.

11. Halter & Lead for Dam.

12. Cell phone with vet emergency numbers.

13. Latex & sterile OB shoulder gloves.

14. Sterile lubricant.

15. Baby wipes.

16. Baby bottles with nipples.

17. Probios

18. Banamine (only if needed).

19. Clock (that lights up) and notepad to record times of everything.

20. Camera (digital & video).

21. Oxytocin (just in case).

22. Colostrometer.

23. Bulb Suction for nose.

24. VitaFlex Foal Response.

25. Soapsuds enema (only if needed).

26. Truck & Trailer hooked up (just in case).

27. When you are recording down everything that goes on, go ahead and have it prewritten. That way all you have to do is put the time next to it. Less work during the craziness of foaling.

28. A bag of shavings and a bale of straw/hay. When the water breaks, spread a little down to absorb the moisture. Then lay down straw right on top of it as well if you're not able to pick it up before the foal is born. That way the foal is lying on straw, but won't slip since the moisture was absorbed.

29. Sterile Fishing Line (In case the navel is bleeding, you can tie it off.)

30. Feed for the mare afterward. (I have read to feed after the mare has stood up and let the foal nurse. When do you guys recommend it?)

31. For maiden mares make sure you have a partition setup in case you need to separate mare and foal. When we foal out mares just imported we have frozen colostrum from a native mare on hand. We give the foal a bottle prior to them finding the teat. With mares we know that have not leaked colostrum and have a large bag, we strip one teat and allow the foal the other. We bank this colostrum for later in the breeding season or the following year if needed. Colostrum is like gold
default_smile.png
it can be used to save a life- you never know when you may need it, or someone else does. Plasma is fine, but nothing comes close to colostrum. When we foal out mares just imported we have frozen colostrum from a native mare on hand. We give the foal a bottle prior to them finding the teat. With mares we know that have not leaked colostrum and have a large bag, we strip one teat and allow the foal the other. We bank this colostrum for later in the breeding season or the following year if needed. Colostrum is like gold
default_smile.png
it can be used to save a life- you never know when you may need it, or someone else does. Plasma is fine, but nothing comes close to colostrum. I always give my mares a dose of banamine after foaling but it's important to remember not to give it until after she has cleansed. A clean bucket of warm water on hand for cleaning the udder, between the legs and the back side of the legs after the mare has cleansed is a good idea to keep junior from getting any bacteria when looking for the milk bar and starting to nurse. I start cleaning udders on a twice a week basis about a month prior to foaling so that the mare gets used to it. If she is already used to having her udder cleaned, I'll do it once a week and then just prior to foaling. It's really helpful for a maiden mare to get her used to being touched down there. A tail bag or vet wrap to contain the tail for foaling. Once the mare has cleansed, I take the wrap/bag off so that the foal doesn't get tangled up in it. The tail will be out of the way and stay much cleaner if it is contained. A foal halter is a good thing to have on hand because the sooner you start putting it on and taking it off, the easier time you'll have of it. You'd be surprised at just how independent and strong those little beggers can get from the time you leave them for a few hours sleep till you get back to the barn to check on them again.

Obviously a mare should be inside a lighted foaling stall to foal and where everything can be close at hand. If there is a problem, you won't want to be floundering around in some field with a flashlight.

One thing happen to me this year, foal came out not breathing.

Do not give up on these little guys, did mouth to nose and took at least a few minutes but starting breathing on his own.

I had a winter foaling a couple of yrs ago (I am in Ontario, Canada) by a mare I had bought from Texas. I found that a hair dryer and heat lamp were definately needed, along with my regular foaling kit.

Great list - I wouldn't consider a foaling season without Equipage and MARESTARE!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back