Sorrel with Flaxen mane and tail~ question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonny

past member - Someone just shoot me!
Reaction score
I understand passing on the sorrel gene, what about passing on the flaxen gene?

I have a sorrel mare ( with Flaxen), going to be covered by a bay. Ee. has thrown sorrel.

So I understand I can get Ee or ee, Aa or aa, what about the flaxen though? What are my chances of her passing the flaxen if its sorrel? 50/ 50%?

I don't know but want to say I'm interested to find out, too. I'll be watching the thread.

With your mare, has she been tested for silver? I know if so, that can increase the odds of a "flaxen" looking mane / tail on colors other than red.

She hasnt been tested for silver....I guess I could do so when she gets here....She should be here tomorrow or Tuesday! I do have a picture of her if you would like to see it
default_smile.png

Are you kidding? Of course I'd like to see her picture
default_wub.png
I won't know the answer about color but would love to see your new girl
default_yes.gif

Flaxen is thought to be recessive but no one has done any research on it so no one knows for sure.

The litte filly in my avatar was foaled this year. Her mane and tail are white. I think she is gray...not sure since I have not clipped her but her face and ears have shed off and what I am seeing is gray. My stallion is a blue roan and his mane and tail are black/reddish black. I was very surprised and pleased to get a blondie.
default_yes.gif

I don't know but want to say I'm interested to find out, too. I'll be watching the thread.

With your mare, has she been tested for silver? I know if so, that can increase the odds of a "flaxen" looking mane / tail on colors other than red.
I'm still somewhat of a newbie to colours but doesn't silver not show on red based coats and therefore even if carried it wouldn't affect the mane and tail colouring?

Shame not much research has been done into flaxen, I'm rather partial towards a nice liver chestnut with flaxen
default_smile.png

Ok here she is, she isnt a mini, but yall know colors so well I had to ask here...course the color question can be applied to minis too.

She is full davenport arabian, young, 3 yrs old and in serious need of de worming and some groceries. However I believe once she get up to par she will be an excellent addition to breed to my Sec A welsh stallion
default_smile.png
I know this is so NOT an eye catching photo, I apologize, shes been left unattended or worked with in the pasture for almost a yr...

Tokens Dream Catcher:

dreamcatcher-1.jpg

My stallion: Heritage Halls Hy~ Priority:

riot6-15-08bb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still somewhat of a newbie to colours but doesn't silver not show on red based coats and therefore even if carried it wouldn't affect the mane and tail colouring?

Shame not much research has been done into flaxen, I'm rather partial towards a nice liver chestnut with flaxen
default_smile.png

Yes, silver doesnt show on red however if they throw a black based foal it could show
default_smile.png

I would love to know the chances of her passing on the flaxen, wish there was more information on it too.

She looks like a sweetheart
default_smile.png
I've met a few arab/welsh crosses, they seem to blend well!

Thank you, I will get some better pictures as she looks better, and then will share. I have always loved the welsh/ arabian crosses and have waited a while to get one. I am very excited to get her, she is a smaller arabian and very true to the breed.

If you dont know much about davenport arabians this is an interesting read:

About The Horses | Davenport Arabian Horse Conservancy

and about welsh arabian crosses:

Welcome to the American Welara Pony Registry - official registry of the Welara since 1981

Last edited by a moderator:

default_smile.png
Yes, you're right. What I meant was that the foal is more likely to have a flaxen looking mane if silver is involved (as it would lighten on most colors), but should have went on to add if it's a red based foal, the silver will not be visual
default_yes.gif

Just wanted to say that even skinny your new filly is excellent. Looks very correct, should make a great cross with your stud. Congratulations and good luck.

Just wanted to say that even skinny your new filly is excellent. Looks very correct, should make a great cross with your stud. Congratulations and good luck.
Thank you very much
default_smile.png
I am very excited to get her. I know its going to take some work to get her weight up, and get her ground work started.

The litte filly in my avatar was foaled this year. Her mane and tail are white. I think she is gray...not sure since I have not clipped her but her face and ears have shed off and what I am seeing is gray. My stallion is a blue roan and his mane and tail are black/reddish black. I was very surprised and pleased to get a blondie.
default_yes.gif
The filly and mare in your avatar both look like textbook examples of Black Silver/Silver Dapple in your avatar photo.

default_thumbdown.gif

Yes, you're right. What I meant was that the foal is more likely to have a flaxen looking mane if silver is involved (as it would lighten on most colors), but should have went on to add if it's a red based foal, the silver will not be visual
default_yes.gif
Oh JILL you should know better!!

Silver does not show on Red and that is the end of it. It has NO effect and cannot and does not lighten the mane and or tail. It just does not have an effect.

Since the mare is an Arab Silver is not in the mix anyway, and the stallion is Bay so again, no Silver.

Flaxen is just one of those things at the moment, we don't know how or why it is inherited, but we do know it has nothing to do with Silver
default_wink.png

The filly and mare in your avatar both look like textbook examples of Black Silver/Silver Dapple in your avatar photo.
default_yes.gif
You are the second person that has told me that. Other one was a different thread. Sounds like I stumbled onto some good help with coloration. Would I want to get her papers corrected or does it really matter? Is silver dapple a "sought after" I wonder? When she has her winter woolies it looks "mousey brown." She is a sweetheart for sure. I don't mean to hy-jack the original thread but for sure I am open to learning more about coloration. Thanks
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back