Slow Feeder "Top' Idea

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O So

Reaction score
In a recent thread about hay, I mentioned I had an idea for a slow feeder. My main problem was finding the wire mesh in the shape I wanted it. I can visualize what I want, but didn't know where to get the mesh. Well, I found something that might work. It should be fairly easy to find. I actually have a set now, but they are painted. Don't think those would work out to well. Hopefully I can find them in chrome.

Here's a pic of what I am thinking of using. I would build a wood box and one of the mesh grates would be the top. The pic is just to show the wire mesh, not going to build one like the pic and try to use it.
smile.gif

Wire%20Storage%20Cube.jpg

They are about a foot square with 1 inch squares. One of my concerns is that they are only a foot square. I'm wondering if that would be ok for the horses heads to go into a box that size. That and if I did find chrome, would it be better then the painted kind, or is it just going to be "painted" on chrome.

As far as the size, I guess I could tie 2 of them together to make a 1x2 foot box. But then again, if the foot square box would work, I could make several boxes and place them around the yards in the corners. That way they could go to several boxes instead of just a couple!

What do you guy's think? Think something like that would hold up to the horses? Can you think of any issues that may come up using them? Give me your opinions!!

I have made similar items to the slow-feeders, and like them a lot...easy to use, just throw them out and walk away. Nothing for the horses to get caught in, or bang themselves up on...I don't like the idea of a bunch of solid boxes laying about to get run into as horses are running and playing.

I have made similar items to the slow-feeders, and like them a lot...easy to use, just throw them out and walk away. Nothing for the horses to get caught in, or bang themselves up on...I don't like the idea of a bunch of solid boxes laying about to get run into as horses are running and playing.
Do you have any pics of what you have made?

a friend of mine uses the box type slow feeders for her large horses but they are stalled with runs so the boxes are not out but instead against the wall. She's very happy with them.

I really like the ones made of strapping that you can fill up and toss out in the turn out areas. I turn mine out every day and scatter hay which they eat too fast. I would prefer that they kick those feeders around and eat slowly
default_laugh.png

Editing to add: Kim, what you are proposing would probably work very well since your guys are used to going inside their little stalls to eat but can come outside whenever they want.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some of these mesh organizers, and I'd say they probably wouldn't hold up to most horses abusing them. [And, I have a couple that the "bars" aren't securely connected to each other, so stick out; not an issue in the house for storage, definitely an issue around horses.]

I think when you figure in the $$ and time to make something,as well as the potential danger of seeing if what you make will hold up to the horses, you are better off just buying 2 busysnackers and be done with it. They are safe, very well made, you can easily use them in your horses stalls as well as when they are turned out. I keep mine hung up and my horses love them. They sure slow down their eating and I think they actually enjoy using them.

Angie

Be careful with wire. My vet and I just solved the mystery of why my beloved Fjordie had inflamed gums that wouldn't heal. Because I've been feeding her hay out of a hay feeder made for goats! She had been raking her mouth over that wire (smooth bars, mind you, just hard) and keeping her gums bruised and inflamed. Talk about feeling guilty! Granted, minis mouths are much smaller so you may not have any issues at all. But do keep check on their teeth and gums.

Luckily, once I got rid of the hay manger her gums healed up completely in about a week.

As much as my big girl benefits from slow feeders otherwise, I now feed her hay from the ground. I make an insane number of itty bitty piles across the field to keep her moving though. lol.

If you do make these feeders, please post pictures as it does sound like a clever idea!
default_smile.png

-Kristie

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have any pics of what you have made?
No, I am sorry but I don't...and they are still packed away in the trailer...but if you look at the "busy-snacker", it is pretty-much the same thing. I have also modified a couple of regular hay bags, by sewing a webbing grid over the openings, leaving perhaps 3/4" holes.

I may have already posted this idea on another thread...having a 'senior/blonde' moment lol...I made several hay bags using a hockey goal replacement net from Canadian Tire. They have hole about 1" give or take (haven't actually measured them) and I am very confidant no feet can get thro. To really guarantee my horse's safety tho I place them in feeders that prevent the horses from getting any feet inside Some have large plastic barrels that I have cut a large round opening hi up on one side, the bags just drop inside and the barrel keeps the hay dry and the horse away from the bag, others feed from a long wooden feeder with upright bars spaced about a foot apart that they reach thro to pull hay from the bag. This has solved the 'danger' part of hay bags for me an the small holes forces the horses to pick at the hay instead of munching huge mouthfuls.

I have some of these mesh organizers, and I'd say they probably wouldn't hold up to most horses abusing them. [And, I have a couple that the "bars" aren't securely connected to each other, so stick out; not an issue in the house for storage, definitely an issue around horses.]
Ok, thanks. This is why I asked. Wanted real world opinions, meaning my storage racks are fine, but now I know they can break with no horses, so they won't be good for horses.
biggrin.gif

I'm liking the sound of the busy snackers more and more. My main reason I wanted a box style feeder is to have the boys eating in a natural position. I want a slow feeder for grazing purposes. I will still be feeding them their normal hay (may cut back on the actual amount) for the most part, but I wanted something out in their turn out areas to give them something to graze on. They have wiped out the grass! LOL

Maybe I will get a couple busy snackers and attach the to a flat board some how. THat way I could have them on the ground instead of being hung. Like I say, I am going for the natural position for grazing.

Thanks for all your opinions and concerns. Also thanks for all the tips. I may also do the hay bag that has the small hole, but I will do like Sue C and put a smaller mesh on the inside of the hole. All good things to look into!!

THanks again!

Latest posts

Back