Slow feeder hole size

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trails4jd

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using a Hay Chix "Micro Mini" horse with a 1-1/4 inch hole since last September--one for my 14 hand horse and one for Eddy (approx 37"), my mini (/pony?!!). I decided I wanted to get a 2nd one for Eddy. They have replaced or renamed it the "quarter bale feeder" and besides the 1-1/4 size I see they have a 1" "slow feed extreme" for $10 more. Eddy does seem to get through his hay fairly fast in the 1-1/4" but he also tends to be on the thin side. I might call Hay Chix for advice tomorrow but thought I'd check to see what anyone else is using for hole size. Would 1" be way too small? Thanks!!

I use 3/4" holes for my 37" guy, with the knot-free net type (Hayburners). I also have the Hay Chix 1" hole nets. He gets the hay out really fast with the 1" holes (once he figured it out, it took him a couple of days of being sad that his hay was in jail, I don't think he ever ate out of a net before I got him). The 3/4" slow him down just the right amount. But he a) has hay all the time, and b) is not on the thin side. ;)

I do feel the knot-free style of net is easier on them, the knots can be kind of abrasive. I notice that the hair on his nose doesn't wear off with the Hayburners nets. Caveats are that 3/4" may be too small for a big horse, and the woven style nets are not quite as durable as the knotted ones. However, I've had the woven ones for nearly 2 years and they are still in really good shape. No big horses eating out of them, though.

Latest posts

Back