Shots....What do you give?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

just_4_kixx

Reaction score
What shots do you give in your area? Where I’m at, we don’t give rabies shots. I was just curious what people need to give in their areas and what the different shots cost you. I’m in shock over the difference in gelding across the US, just wanted to see what shots run too.

HI there, I live in PA and I give a minimum of a 5 way shot & rabies. Costs around $16 through Country Supply or Jeffers, is usually who I buy through and rabies I get in a vial for about $11. Hope this helps

According to the vets we use, Rabies shots aren't necessary here either - for horses, that is. Dogs are still required.

We give our horses PrestigeV vaccinations and purchase them in 10 dose vials from Jeffers or Omaha Vaccine....or ........basically we shop around. The PrestigeV covers all the basics for our area. We don't mess with the Strangles unless necessary.

If you have just a few horses, sometimes it's a wash with cost to buy them from your vet. Your vet would certainly know what shots are recommended for your area and would have them available.

MA

We are in Minnesota Let see if I can remember them all. Hubby gives all of our shots.

Enceph/Tetnus--West Nile-Flu/Rhino (boosted everything 3 months to show horses)

Strangles to show horses. I think I"m forgetting something....hmmm

We buy are viles from a vet supplier like United. Gets spendy so I don't pay much attention to the price. Need them anyway so I try not to think about the cost :no: But its well worth it for healthy horses.
default_smile.png

Both my horses are given,

Annually:

Rabies

EEE

WEE

Tetnus

EVA

West Nile (I use Recombitek so I can do it once a year and still be protected)

Strangles IN

Every three months:

Flu

Rhino

Thinking of adding, due to lack of control over my horse's hay supply:

Botulism

I don't know what they cost, up to this point its been included as a perk with my employment. Now I'll be starting to purchase vaccines, and I'll find out what they cost.

I give a 4-way from Jeffers Equine Encevac TC-4

I don't give strangels unless, I was showing

and don't usually give rabies

I have a closed barn so that has helped me considerably through the years knock on wood

Hi!

Well...... I "Just" had everyone vaccinated..... the vet was out here to geld my Marty colt... :aktion033: And had him vaccinate everyone while he was here.... It was around $70 per mini. We give, Flu/Rhino, E-W-Tetanus, West Nile and Rabies (there's a high number of Rabie's in our area). I will still need to get it yet but also need to give everyone the (internasal) strangles vaccine because I will be going to lots of places this summer showing......

But had NO problems with the shots given to my minis..... Oh..... and of course the 2 mares that are still due to foal did NOT get the Rabies vaccine yet....... once they have foaled, they will.

Here we give the FD Innovator which covers EEE/WWW/Tetanus & WNV, and it is $31.32 per dose, plus 6% tax. Rabies shots are $15. We don't do strangles or rhino or flu, except for Pneumabort-K to bred mares. That vaccine is around $9

Why wouldn't you give the Rabies vaccine 4 weeks before foaling with the other pre-foaling vaccines?
I've always heard that you're not to give rabies vaccinations to pregnant mares.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone who posted. :aktion033: I was curious to see what the different costs were across the country. Yesterday we found out the different costs in having cots gelded. That was a HUGE :new_shocked: shock in the difference. I wanted to see what everyone’s shots ran.

Thanks again! :saludando:

Latest posts

Back