Seeking ulcer treatment advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Li'l Red Barn

Reaction score
Hello, all! April, who will be 15yrs next month, has started having colic-like episodes every few months for the past couple of years. Our current vet said we could treat her for ulcers. We gave her 1/4 tube of Ulcerguard daily for 28 days. What we didn't realize is that it is a good idea to wean her from it after that. Stopped for 3 days and sure enough, she is lying down more often and seems more uncomfortable again. So, do we just start right up and divide the previous dose in half for a couple days, or retreat her with full dose for another month? I know giving it to her for too long could also have some harmful effects. I'm also looking for suggestions for what to do for maintenance after that. She has already been getting Succeed daily. And, I'm starting to read more about Sucralfate...is this something we should try giving in place of, or along with Ulcerguard? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!
*Note: I figure there will be a lot of responses suggesting to just ask the vet. There are very few large animal vets around me (and even fewer with much experience with minis). My vet has his own small animal clinic so is hard to reach. I don't want to put off her treatment.

april.png

From human experience I would say go back to a full dose for 3 days. The rebound is horrible. Then a half dose for 3 days. Then a half dose every other day for 3 doses. Horses may react differently to it than we do, but that's what I would do for myself.

April is lovely! I have no personal knowledge of ulcers in horses and have never used Ulcerguard.

I have used SmartPak and they have a chatline available to customers or potential customers to help with supplements and advice on the products. You may find them a good resource on ulcergard and other supports.

Latest posts

Back