Ruby's foaling thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He may have just bumped the side of his face on something when scampering around. Hopefully your vet can put your mind at ease and that all is well.
default_yes.gif

LOVE THAT VIDEO~!! Heck, it could even be a bug bite. I'm sure he'll be fine. But get used to it.......he's a BOY after all!
default_thumbup.gif

Apparently I can't catch a break. Now Kiwi is sick. He became pretty lethargic over night and only wanted to lay down this morning. Once down he shook. Called out Vet. He had a temp of 104, and rattles in this breathing. Face still swelled. Vet gave him intravenous fluids, banamine and a dose of Excede (which he'll receive another in 72 hours). Slight improvement in attitude today, but sleep is still his priority. Temp is now 102.5. Didn't notice poo, so gave him an enema at 2:45pm. He passed a few minutes later. Nothing since so gave him another at 6pm. Nothing. May not have given him enough that time. Will try again at 10pm. Due for more banamine at 9pm. He is nursing. Ruby had her foal heat early in the week which brought on scours for Kiwi. But by Wednesday he was fine. Then his face swelled. Not sure why. So frustrating. I hate it when my babies don;t feel well.

So sorry you are experiencing this. I'm praying for little Kiwi to kick this thing BIG time, and be on the road to full recovery very quickly.
default_pray.gif
:pray

Last edited:
Thank you. He's still taking it day by day. Poor little guy. Up and down. Hoping he gets by this soon enough and gets back to causing trouble. A little fresh air today....

IMG_2737.JPG

IMG_2735.JPG

IMG_2737.JPG

IMG_2739.JPG

IMG_2745.JPG

IMG_2755.JPG

IMG_2748.JPG

IMG_2746.JPG

I have been enjoying all the updated pictures of Kiwi!!! He is such a handsome/cute little boy!! I am saying a prayer that he gets back to normal running all around and getting into things!! He is too sweet to be sick!!!!!!!! Ruby looks to be such a great Momma even taking good care of her baby when she was sick!
default_yes.gif
Hopefully the warm sunny days will do them both good!! Keep the pictures coming!!!!!!!!!!

I dont do FB so PLEASE let us know what has happened - is he back in hospital??

After tests, ultra sounds and xrays, turns out that Kiwi has a facial fracture and abscess around one of his baby teeth. Mama may have stepped on him or he could have whacked it himself, we will never know. The NC State Vet is optimistic that it can be treated conservatively with antibiotics, flushing and pain meds. They drained the abscess and ran a culture to make sure they prescribed the correct drugs. Being so young is in his favor as the fracture should correct itself once the swelling goes down. If not, he made need a procedure to repair it. Please keep Kiwi in your thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery. Thank you for your support. Kiwi is such a little love bunny. Except when I tried to hold him steady to nurse after the drugs wore off and he would rather kick me. Pistol!

10247245_10203927932984610_3700320490317779783_n.jpg

IMG_2541.JPG

1907314_10203929987075961_2634144709271557004_n.jpg

Typical boy! Always getting into something and getting hurt.

His age is a benefit, as he is still growing well. Praying for a speedy recovery and a complete healing! He's in our prayers.....and prayers WORK!

By the way....GOOD JOB YOU for being so attentive to him, and getting him the help he needs! YEAH!!!
default_thumbup.gif

He seems like a happy little guy! Love the video, so adorable! I'm glad he is feeling better.
default_thumbup.gif

Oh what a brilliant video - what a very cute, lively little fella!! Ruby looks great too. Many thanks for posting it.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back