Rubbing off tails - HELP!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunni1900

Reaction score
Hello! I have 2 fillies that have now rubbed the top of their tails OFF, down to the skin. They have been treated for lice, dewormed regularly etc. It is only the two fillies. One is clipped, one is not. One a yearling the other a two-year-old. How do I get them to STOP!?!?!

They could have dirty udders! Check under their tails, if they are dirty, use a baby wipe and wipe them off. Sometimes if they come into heat, they drip down, and it will collect on their udders, which itches like heck, and they try to rub their tails. Use a baby wipe, and really get their udders clean. Sounds gross, and it is, but it will work!

I use a mixture of baby oil and Listerine. in a spray bottle . it settles quickly so you'll need to shake it up every use

it seems to help a lot. Baby oil for dry skin and the Listerine for any skin irritations they may have

What ratio do you use with the Listerine/baby oil... im trying this on my boy as he gets very itchy at this time of the year..I bought a cute little spray bottle and so far have filled it with 3 quarters Listerine and a quarter baby oil..hes smells gorgeous lol and havnt seen him scratching at all so far

I also use a spray, but it's 50/50 listerine and apple cider vinegar. Really helps stop the rubbing.

I use a mixture of 50% Listerine and 50% baby oil. Listerine for any little skin irritation and the baby oil incase the cause is dry skin

Bunni1900 I don't think it would matter what Listerine you use although I've only used the original- some with flavoring may stain their coat color

and don't overlook the other causes mentioned above by firstplaceminiatures the rubbing means something is uncomfortable this is just another suggestion

Last edited by a moderator:
I was brushing the 3 little minis we bought a month or so ago, they have horrible horrible dander/flakes and are rubbing sections near their ears down to skin, no open but, very flaky. Would you recommend this solution for that too?

Val

Latest posts

Back