Ridges - ITS PINK!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_new_rofl.gif

Just about to put 'avert thine eyes' leaflets in the neighbours letterboxs and making a list of good distractions for the kids when they start asking too many questions!

default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl

"Look kids! An unattended puppy!!!" Might be a good start
default_new_rofl.gif

Got the first cover out of the way, Wazza looks skinnier already! Sweety started to be a bit of a nancy, but ended up standing for him, so maybe she' further into her heat than I thought she was. After the 'deed' she started pushing before I got a chance to start walking her so hopefully it didn't all come back out. Is there a particular time of day that is a good time to do it? How do people with 20+ mares do it lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't go back to pasture breeding now, not having dates for Beauty is doing my head in!
default_new_rofl.gif
They run with the boys after being served but that's because my boys love getting herd time
default_smile.png

But with a lot of mares I'd serve six mares over the space of two days, the boys can handle it and really the girls don't all come in at the same time all that often.

How long do you let them run together after they're been served? And if I let wazza in with the girls would he hurt Bindi if he tried to mount her?

Tinker hand served his girls over September/October, I turned them out after Dreamy was finished and he had them until... January? I think then if not February. He only got 'his' girls and once no one was cycling he never tried to mount anyone, but Tinker is a very well mannered paddock stallion so I know he doesn't hassle his mares.

They can be a bit snarly when first put together but things settle down fairly quickly.

So if you want Wazza to run with them you can do it like me or just blend them all in now, if Bindi isn't on heat she'll deck him if he tries something and if she is then she'll let him. The girls make it pretty clear if "they have a headache"
default_new_rofl.gif

Just be sure that he doesn't start chasing Bindi, trying to get her to come into season - young stallions can get a bit confused/violent at times. Good luck, hope it all goes well and we will see a most interestingly coloured foal next year!
default_yes.gif

I don't know what it is but he does come across as an immature boy so I might take Bindi out before I let them run together. She'll still be able to touch through the fence and I can start getting her used to the new yard before foaling time.

Young stallions are a bit
default_xbud.gif

default_new_rofl.gif

This year Palli will be hand serving then paddock running for the first time, at the moment his two mares will be Rivain and Twinkles, neither have foals at foot so he won't have to worry about that, both are gentle mares who won't put up with any stupid/rude behaviour but will be forgiving with him. It's all about building them up with success so you don't upset them and make things difficult in the future (typical male
default_new_rofl.gif
)

The end goal is to have him like Tinker, confident and polite with his mares and able to run with foals... because I just adore the sight of stallions with their own foals!
default_wub.png

We had a couple of 4mths old goats escape into Wazza yard a few weeks back and he chased them round and round till we broke them up. He's really good with people but has territory issues so I'm not sure how nice he'll be to the girls. I guess he could learn the hard way but WOULD HE LEARN?! lol

I dont know your set up, but, as he seems to be a bit territorial about his own paddock, could you put him into Sweety's paddock with her, instead of her into his? Just an idea!!

Ok, good idea. And Sweety is probably the best girl for the job to teach him manners. She is the sweetest thing but she thinks she's the head mare.

Couple of photos coz I know you love them

wazza3.jpgwazza4.jpg

DSC_0033.JPG

His reaction to the goats will be very different to the mares. Tinker is trustworthy with foaling mares and yet he attacked my alpacas
default_sad.png

But I agree with the others in bringing the stallion to the mares, I also like to use a new paddock and have the mares in for a day or two first.

The little crape got away on me today
default_gaah.gif
:gaah
default_gaah.gif
:gaah
default_gaah.gif
:gaah I tried a different yard today. I tied Sweety up,brought wazza in to do his thing and I let him off the lead incase Sweety kicked out ( I'm such a scaredy cat, but she just stood there like a good girl) I thought I'd just clip him back on when he got off but he made a beeline for the other side of the yard to the adjoining property. They have a 10mth old tb filly there who Wazza (I found out today) HATES and he kept running back and forth trying to get to her to bite her head off. I was so freaked out that he was going to get over and into their paddock, which is about an acre and half big. We have set up a 4 wire temporary electric fencing about a meter away from the real fence which also has electric wire top and bottom and sheep mesh between. That seemed to be enough to deter him but man, he was mad and would not let me catch him, just kept charging the fence. I ended up getting some lucerne to finally lure him to me and he didn't come easy lol. I

Anyways, looks like this whole breeding thing might make me shed some weight too, chasing silly chemical brain males around
default_frusty.gif
:frusty
default_frusty.gif

hmm it says 'crape' at the start of my last comment. I did write something else but the system obviously thought it was too rude lol But just for clarification I don't think Wazza is a piece of fabric.

Are you the only one doing the hands on breeding stuff?

That's what it's like here and I don't have a breeding crush to use so I've found it safer to take my mare to my stallion on lead and I hold her while he does the deed. You do have to be very firm in driving him away while you handle the gate, I carry a dressage whip and if they think about charging as opposed to being polite you do have to drive them back, they do learn though.

lol, is that how you do it? Yeah I didn't try that coz I thought he'd try to jump us before we even got through the gate, but with a whip - I can see the benefits.
default_deadhorse2.gif

Yeah I'm the only one. I could wait till hubby came home but its more of a hassle to rely on him then chase Wazza around for 10mins lol.

Latest posts

Back